Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

No cable then Pete 😁

It's just out of shot. I'll post a photo with added cabling if anyone gets where it is. It's not likely to win the Knott award just in case you were wondering......

Pete.

7 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Yay! Looking forward to seeing pics @Marilyne, impressed by your half-marathoning!

Nothing to be impressed about: 2hr & 40sec thanks to a moron who pushed me out of the way on the part where the only way to run was single file... as to the question who on earth would think of putting a single-file sand track and a rickety bridge on a half- and marathon track with 2.000 runners ... that's not what we're here for !! 

Here's the two pics... 

654686878_D94A0089small.jpg.41420bea8a3597976024e443b5daa038.jpg

1874253450_D94A0094small.jpg.16ff91c82df4c59f0078fa34f82d1e2c.jpg

I've got a nice panorama from the Ganzepoot on the cellphone (even my wide angle was useless there) ... give me a minute... 

5 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I if anyone finds out my status as the worst battlefield photographer in the visible universe would be under threat.....

Don't worry, your secret is safe with us! 

M.

On 30/09/2021 at 14:18, Fattyowls said:

Not entirely sure that the horizon slopes like this in real life but a river runs through it.........

1509158696_Ariverrunsthroughit.JPG.79036ffe435c2ba126f344372290dc67.JPG

Just to add a teensy weensy cluette or two; a competent photographer would have brought out how flat the area is, and the little bit of kerb at the bottom of the photograph hints at something behind me and there is an eliptical Brazillian connection.........

Pete.

• Admin

Somewhere in the Lys sector? By the Portuguese cemetery? 

• Admin

I’m sure @Marilynewill approve. Where is Tessie  the bear sitting? 

EB28011C-E38D-4A37-A3E8-153DADDF2A74.jpeg

Tessie looks great... but I have no idea where it is... 

Greetings to all from Slovenia. 

M.

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Somewhere in the Lys sector? By the Portuguese cemetery? 

I was going to post a clue to say that as soon as you got back from your latest trip you'd get it straight away. I think it is a mark of how bad a photographer I am that this hasn't happened. It is the Lys valley, the river that runs through the photograph is a tributary and what is behind me is much better maintained than the Portuguese cemetery to the south.

Pete.

• Admin

At the Fromelles Digger? 

Not the lovely Indian Memorial, Michelle is close enough to win the Crackerjack pencil. This is what is behind me. and the second photo is its proximity to the Cobbers, with the overhead power lines for Mr Knott. The river is the Layes brook which crosses the original photograph and the Brazillian connection is the Sugarloaf strongpoint which was just beyond the field.

151148070_VCCornerMemorial.JPG.f835ee75273a79e3219679cbc50ba6f1.JPG

and yes I know it doesn't slope like that.....

413456722_LookingbacktowardstheCobbers.JPG.63513102a04376ec64b0e2a47e5a0bc2.JPG

Fromelles Church just behind some trees to the left of the flags, Aubers church on the horizon just to the right of the first overhead cable pole.

• Admin

The lovely Lapugnoy it is. It was here and at nearby Chocques that I realised that the war stone isn’t flat. There’s a very gentle curve on them. 

1 minute ago, dickaren said:

a nice bit of cabling

I always defer to Mr K where overhead wiring is concerned.

So a small cemetery on a slope, most if not all of the graves identified with a solitary Frenchman visible. I thought for a second the thinner of the cables might be a railway installation but it appears to run through the trees. So not a clue basically.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

I always defer to Mr K where overhead wiring is concerned.

In that case I’m pretty sure I know this one, it’s Longpres-Les-Corp Saints British Cemetery (complete with the overhead cabling), on the D70 about ½ hours drive from Amiens.
Formed after war by amalgamating  Longpres British Cemeteries 1 & 2, which were adjacent to the 12th & 55th CCS, during the April ‘18 German offensive.

Camped up the road at Longuet,a few years after the photo was taken.

Edited by Knotty

13 minutes ago, Knotty said:

In that case I’m pretty sure I know this one, it’s Longpres-Les-Corp Saints British Cemetery (complete with the overhead cabling), on the D70 about ½ hours drive from Amiens.
Formed after war by amalgamating  Longpres British Cemeteries 1 & 2, which were adjacent to the 12th & 55th CCS, during the April ‘18 German offensive.

Camped up the road at Longuet,a few years after the photo was taken.

Well spotted Knotty. 

Richard

Hi Richard

It’s one of the cemeteries that is very rarely visited. Back in late ‘90 & early ‘00 I tried to see a few of those not often frequented by visitors to the Western Front.

15 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi Richard

It’s one of the cemeteries that is very rarely visited. Back in late ‘90 & early ‘00 I tried to see a few of those not often frequented by visitors to the Western Front.

The pic was one I took on a two week tour in June 1994 when I managed to visit 175 cemeteries that I had not been to before, Many like this one as you say rarely visited. Sadly it is the only one I could find with a cable in it!!

Richard

3 minutes ago, dickaren said:

Sadly it is the only one I could find with a cable in it!!

Now don’t wind me up😁I am suffering from man flu.

• Admin

Here’s a cable, but where 

90538643-06AE-477D-B064-E6EA6CBC2D93.jpeg

43 minutes ago, dickaren said:

The pic was one I took on a two week tour in June 1994 when I managed to visit 175 cemeteries that I had not been to before, Many like this one as you say rarely visited. Sadly it is the only one I could find with a cable in it!!

Richard

Longpres is a bit out of the way "on top t hill", 

longpre sign.JPG

2 hours ago, chaz said:

Longpres is a bit out of the way "on top t hill", 

longpre sign.JPG

Out of interest, here is one of the cemetery from1920, not by me I hasten to add and without cable.

Richard

LL.jpg

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Now don’t wind me up😁I am suffering from man flu.

A Berkshire boy suffering man flu. I don't believe it

From a fellow Berkshire boy

On 09/10/2021 at 19:51, dickaren said:

A Berkshire boy suffering man flu. I don't believe it

I call it man flu, the first LFT has suggested otherwise😁, the second was ok, as was the third,  just a bloody sore throat now

Forgot to say the 1920 picture very evocative.

*Today Monday it’s confirmed as severe Tonsillitis*

Edited by Knotty