Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Has Anyone Got A Photograph Of..........

Fattyowls

tried to post a picture of the map and proximity of the A1,but wouldnt post. Hibers is close to Wancourt and Guamappe aswell as a few others. would be interesting to know how many bodies were recovered during the building of the A1 in the area as people complain about windmills.

• 2 weeks later...

While we're all searching about Sly's monument, if you can tell me in what museum THIS picture is reproduced, I'll give you three nice shots of it...  

1945366055_D94A0044small.jpg.f22b4bf3326dcef8c254a250c3351568.jpg

Hi @Marilyne, is it in the 'In Flanders Fileds' Museum in the Cloth Hall?

Richard

Certainly George and Albert, can't place the chap tucking into the waffle sandwich. It's a wonderfully informal photograph either way. Going back to @Sly 's ram (which I've been meaning to do but life keeps getting in the way) it looks modern to me. The forest setting reminds me of Verdun but I've seen quite a few of the memorials there and it doesn't ring a bell. But then any forest photo with a pine tree makes me think of Verdun.

I'm sure that the ram is symbolic of something but I can't think of what......

Pete.

9 hours ago, Old Forge said:

Hi @Marilyne, is it in the 'In Flanders Fileds' Museum in the Cloth Hall?

Richard

Right country but no. 

Hint: think of Albert!

M.

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Right country but no. 

Hint: think of Albert!

M.

Hi @Marilyne, Is it the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History in Brussels?

Richard

Edited by Old Forge

Well Sly according to my diary it was back in the last century 😳that I visited the eastern end and the Col de La Chapelotte in the Vosges Mountains, so is it the memorial to the Corsicans of the 373rd Regiment  (according to my slides) and its depicting the Ibex emblem they carried on their uniforms.

This not very good photo is converted from one of my slides, which took longer than anticipated mainly due to finding it in the first place.😁

60A5870A-1641-4D1E-81C7-EE20F5CD9EF7.jpeg

Impressive Mr K, especially if it's right. I will have to find a slide to digital converter very soon while I can still remember the names of my college friends who feature in my collection. I know there is a thread somewhere on here about it, but then there is always a thread on here about almost everything.

Pete.

Well done, congratulations. 

Once you saw it that is the sort of monument that you don't forget.

I Believe that another Corsican monument has just been inaugurated somewhere on the north.

Sly

9 minutes ago, Sly said:

Once you saw it that is the sort of monument that you don't forget.

A good one Sly, thanks. It does us no harm to remember the other 500+ km which the British didn't visit during the war.

Pete.

10 minutes ago, Sly said:

I Believe that another Corsican monument has just been inaugurated somewhere on the north.

Must admit I have not heard or seen anything about it, Google will be my friend hopefully 😁

John

1 hour ago, Old Forge said:

Hi @Marilyne, Is it the Royal Museum of the Armed Forces and of Military History in Brussels?

Richard

still not... 

That museum is in the Parc du Cinquantenaire which is a creation of Leopold II. 

And well played @Knotty ... and you know what the worst is... I spent THREE years in Strasbourg and never found the time to truly visit that part of the front... trip to the Vieil Armand with work... that was it... I am deeply ashamed.. 

M.

1 hour ago, Old Forge said:

Richard

Hi @Marilyne, hmm. I can see there's an Albert collection in the Africa Museum, and he was a significant player in its early history. But, I'm guessing the picture is in the King Albert I Memorial in Nieuwpoort. There seems to be a collection housed there as well.

Is it three strikes and I'm out?!!

Richard

Edited by Old Forge

27 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

I am deeply ashamed

I think as a penance you should buy everyone a waffle when we all finally get to meet up by the famous tree on the ramparts by the Menin gate.

19 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I think as a penance you should buy everyone a waffle when we all finally get to meet up by the famous tree on the ramparts by the Menin gate.

didn't I already say I would??? 

It's time to start planning this thing by the way... 

M.

27 minutes ago, Old Forge said:

Hi @Marilyne, hmm. I can see there's an Albert collection in the Africa Museum, and he was a significant player in its early history. But, I'm guessing the picture is in the King Albert I Memorial in Nieuwpoort. There seems to be a collection housed there as well.

Is it three strikes and I'm out?!!

Richard

YES!!!! 

The monument in Nieuwpoort, of course!! 

I was there this WE for the Long Course WE, the half marathon on sunday (which did not go as I planned... very badly designed running track, but that's another matter) but saturday, while Boyfriend was still on the shooting range, I went out to play tourist for a day... pics tonight when I'm back home! 

M.

1 minute ago, Marilyne said:

YES!!!! 

The monument in Nieuwpoort, of course!! 

I was there this WE for the Long Course WE, the half marathon on sunday (which did not go as I planned... very badly designed running track, but that's another matter) but saturday, while Boyfriend was still on the shooting range, I went out to play tourist for a day... pics tonight when I'm back home! 

M.

Yay! Looking forward to seeing pics @Marilyne, impressed by your half-marathoning!

37 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

didn't I already say I would??? This is in addition of the first round of waffles, and the round in celebration of your promotion.......

It's time to start planning this thing by the way... As a start I think we should call our selves the Grote Markt Fresh Waffle Appreciation Society.......

Not entirely sure that the horizon slopes like this in real life but a river runs through it.........

1509158696_Ariverrunsthroughit.JPG.79036ffe435c2ba126f344372290dc67.JPG

@Fattyowls you do know that the lines in the viewfinder of your camera serve to align the horizon... 

... and that one of the great rules of photography is to NEVER put your horizon line straight in the middle of your composition?? 

M.

32 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

@Fattyowls you do know that the lines in the viewfinder of your camera serve to align the horizon... 

... and that one of the great rules of photography is to NEVER put your horizon line straight in the middle of your composition?? 

M.

It was only long after I took that photo that I accidentally put the gridlines on the viewfinder, and you have told me more than once about the one third two third concept, both online and live and in person. Believe it or not I've applied it to all the ones I've taken since, the problem is that if anyone finds out my status as the worst battlefield photographer in the visible universe would be under threat.....