Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

An excellent idea advanced by Sheila Hancock.

It could evoke a sense of grief and loss on the part of the 888,246 purchasers akin to the sense of grief and loss suffered by the nearest and dearest of those who died in the carnage.

Empathy is always the key to being 'moved'.

Bob7bob, thank you for telling us about the process and for posting photos from a different viewpoint.

What a wonderful way to mark a big birthday. Well done you - and thank you!

I really respect Sheila for all the work she has done supporting mental health charities but I really don't agree.

I also notice that the Guardian Art critic (Jonathan Jones) suggested that the moat should be "filled with barbed wire and bones" as "That would mean something".

The power of the poppies at the Tower of London is that each one - in it's own simple way - represents a life cut short and a family torn apart. I think that is enough horror for anyone with the slightest amount of imagination.

For me this art work provides, very effectively, a graphic representation of the loss that this country suffered in the Great War.

Neil

Large crowds there for the final ceremony this morning. The whole installation is certainly an impressive and moving sight. Here is a picture of the young CCF cadet who laid the final poppy in place...

LastPoppyBoy_zps5c528f92.jpg

I thought it very fitting fot this young man to do the honours, so glad they chose him rather than some high profiler.

Kim, I had just been thinking the same before I read your post. Well done young man.

Anne

And it inspired others to do the same. I was at the British Embassy here yesterday evening for an exhibition on the spy network that operated here in WW1.

The Ambassador's daughter broke a leg in August, and spent her time in bed and wheelchair making ceramic poppies.

I bought one.

"Only the heads of the flowers are sent to buyers. The stems will be dismantled and taken away".

Link

http://news.sky.com/story/1371868/tower-poppies-volunteers-begin-clearing-moat

It also says that all the poppies have been sold presumably the 888,000 and that 600,000 have been paid for, a bit confusing. Can anyone clarify this.

Norman

Added: This newspaper article show the poppies being removed and I wonder how the black centre is to be refixed as this is the method by which the stem is attached.

Article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2831388/It-s-Hundreds-volunteers-start-removing-ceramic-poppies-Tower-London-moat-lifetime-installation-caught-nation-s-imagination.html

I saw an article yesterday which said it was just the flower head to be sent. I have searched the RBL website and cannot see anywhere that it says this. However that's not to say this isn't so. I would be disappointed if they were sent without stems, but not insurmountable for us, we have an iron forger down the road from us, we can get them made up. I'm sure there's a way to put the centres back in, they wouldn't send out rubbish.

Don't firget folks, you can send them back within 14 days if you're unhappy with them, and get a refund. There's thousands who missed out who'd love a return.

Well done the CCF cadet. Smart as a carrot, better than most doing junior or senior Brecon. An example of youth today doing good.

As an aside has she decided on the type of tank to be used? How many in the Great war got run over by a tank, what a silly idea!

I saw an article yesterday which said it was just the flower head to be sent. I have searched the RBL website and cannot see anywhere that it says this. However that's not to say this isn't so. I would be disappointed if they were sent without stems, but not insurmountable for us, we have an iron forger down the road from us, we can get them made up. I'm sure there's a way to put the centres back in, they wouldn't send out rubbish.

Don't firget folks, you can send them back within 14 days if you're unhappy with them, and get a refund. There's thousands who missed out who'd love a return.

You make it all sound so easy the trouble is that the object is very fragile and will chip and crack very easily so putting a centre and stalk back in will cause problems if in fact the centre is to be omitted, what then purchasers will be left with is according to the best info available now is a pottery poppy which you cannot easily display as they were seen at the Tower and I bet most of these will end up in a drawer or in the attic. I am not opposed to anyone buying these as they can do what they like with their own money of course, but IMO these do not seem value for money and I reckon many purchasers have been swept along on a tide of sentimentality which has caused a temporary loss of common sense.

post-21884-0-28561100-1415901520_thumb.j

Added: This from the Guardian:- "They will then be delivered to the 600,000 people who paid £25" so it appears that 600,000 people have bought the 888,000 poppies (On average £46 per purchaser)

Norman

Possibly they are sending new stems and centres for each poppy. I wouldn't expect to receive the poppy fully assembled.

You make it all sound so easy the trouble is that the object is very fragile and will chip and crack very easily so putting a centre and stalk back in will cause problems if in fact the centre is to be omitted, what then purchasers will be left with is according to the best info available now is a pottery poppy which you cannot easily display as they were seen at the Tower and I bet most of these will end up in a drawer or in the attic. I still have no idea what the situation is with the almost 300,000 for which apparently payment has not yet been made, if anyone can enlighten me on both aspects that will be appreciated. I am not opposed to anyone buying these as they can do what they like with their own money of course, but IMO these do not seem value for money and I reckon many purchasers have been swept along on a tide of sentimentality which has caused a temporary loss of common sense.

Norman

I wouldn't waste my time worrying about it if I were you. I'm sure you could make better use of the time searching out something else to complain about.

I've read through your post again, and I think your attitude is thoroughly unpleasant. People have paid for a unique hand-made ornament which has been part of a historic piece of art that has moved the entire country (except for you, it seems). It's not expensive, many people buy ornaments which cost more. Some of the proceeds will be going to service charities as you well know.

It is none of your business who has and has not paid for the poppies. Some have probably been bought by the IWM and other museums for display, rather than by individuals. And I am sure they have allowed for breakages, so that any such can be replaced. They aren't as fragile as you seem to hope think. They got from Stoke to London and lasted weeks out in the elements.

Surely if they were to chip and crack so easily we'd be seeing quite a few broken as they're being taken out. They said they're not easy to get out, some having been in there for 3/4 months. Sorry if I make it sound 'easy', I don't mean to, it's just how I see things, I don't like to make problems for myself, life's complicated enough as it us.

Greyhound, it would be most lovely if, what you suggest, were to happen.

I'm starting to get quite excited about receiving mine now, but know it could be as long as January/February before I get them. I'm sort of hoping they'll be sent out in order of purchase, we got ours in August, so maybe get them by December?

The Fallen

13th Nov

post-11115-0-59112400-1415914220_thumb.j

Does anyone find the picture of a 13 year old dressed in army fatigues saluting in a field of clay poppies meant to represent the dead of the Great War disturbing? This child has not even reached the age of consent and with the best will in the world how can he possibly understand the horror that the soldiers went through. This looks like a very inappropriate PR exercise to me particularly when the knowledgeable on this forum are able to make comparison with the scandal of the boy soldiers who served and died. To me yet another example as if one was needed of this bloodless and sanitized so-called tribute to the Fallen.

Norman

PS Before anyone goes purple with rage I am not laying any of the blame for this latest episode on the child but those including his parents who thought that this was a good idea.

This is taken directly from the Historic Royal Palaces web site about the how your poppy will arrive. Anything else you need to know is here. http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/VisitUs/Topthingstoseeanddo/Poppies/TowerPoppies

"What do I get?

The poppy (along with the stem and fixings) will be cleaned, individually packaged and sent to you along with an exclusive commemorative booklet and certificate in a presentation box.

How to assemble my poppy

Your poppy will be sent in a box with instructions on the inside on how to assemble your poppy.

Looking after your poppy

The poppy you will receive is one of the 888,246 that have been hand-made and planted in the Tower of London moat during the past three months. Each poppy will vary by texture, colour and finish. This variation is an intrinsic part of the installation.

Please remember your poppy is ceramic and may not withstand a hard frost."

This is taken directly from the Historic Royal Palaces web site about the how your poppy will arrive. Anything else you need to know is here. http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/VisitUs/Topthingstoseeanddo/Poppies/TowerPoppies

"What do I get?

The poppy (along with the stem and fixings) will be cleaned, individually packaged and sent to you along with an exclusive commemorative booklet and certificate in a presentation box.

How to assemble my poppy

Your poppy will be sent in a box with instructions on the inside on how to assemble your poppy.

Looking after your poppy

The poppy you will receive is one of the 888,246 that have been hand-made and planted in the Tower of London moat during the past three months. Each poppy will vary by texture, colour and finish. This variation is an intrinsic part of the installation.

Please remember your poppy is ceramic and may not withstand a hard frost."

Thanks for posting, bob7bob. This should reassure those who have purchased the poppies.

What you get if you were quick enough to buy one.

post-91897-0-29718100-1416081683_thumb.j

It includes a small length of metal stem.

Cool! I am waiting patiently for the one my daughter bought me to arrive!

All the best,

Gary

Looking forward to mine arriving.