Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

Aww Mark, such a shame, it really was a sight to behold.

Have just re-read the whole thread through and enjoyed it all over again. I have to say, I look at my poppies every day and they still bring me joy.

It will be interesting to see if anything is done for 2018.

From today for three months the 'weeping window' poppy display is at Lincoln Castle: Link

Terry

I'm still hopeful that one day I might find one of the poppies somewhere. I can't believe that I didn't go to see them at the Tower or even order one in honour of my great uncle. Absolutely stupid. Maybe they will stage it or a similar installation in 2018 but I don't think so.

We saw them about half way through installation at the Tower. It wasn't planned to see them and I wasn't really fussed but I've got to say they did look quite impressive when I saw them in place.

We got there early on a Saturday morning before the Tower had opened so the area outside was nearly empty and we got some good pictures. Later, by the time we had left the Tower, the area was packed.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

From today for three months the 'weeping window' poppy display is at Lincoln Castle: Link

Terry

I saw it last week on Orkney where it was until yesterday?

post-91897-0-48411800-1465821062_thumb.j

A pic of the display to mark the 100th anniversary of the battle of Jutland. I also visited the restored Kitchener monument and the memorial wall for HMS Hampshire.

post-91897-0-93868200-1465821234_thumb.j

Mrs B and I were discussing yesterday what to do with ours, which is still in the box in which it came. No rush ...

I'm still hopeful that one day I might find one of the poppies somewhere. I can't believe that I didn't go to see them at the Tower or even order one in honour of my great uncle. Absolutely stupid. Maybe they will stage it or a similar installation in 2018 but I don't think so.

There are three poppies at James & Sons Auctions on 29th June in Norfolk - lots 285-287

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/james-and-son-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srjam10072?page=3

Descriptions makes them look genuine, doesn't mention the box etc that they came in, but worth a call to see. These are the first I've seen come up for sale anywhere...

James

I saw one poppy "planted" next to a memorial tree at the National Memorial Arboretum last week. I wonder how long it will be before somebody removes it as it was right next to a path?

E bay said from the start that they would not allow the sale of these poppies on their site. Any listings would be removed.

\nigel

One of them has been "planted" at the grave of Pte A W Timson, Royal Lancaster Regiment, at Froidmont Communal Cemetery. Don't know when this was done but it was there when we visited last in May 2016.

post-41609-0-63818400-1465859143_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

"Millionaire hedge fund manager 'made a seven-figure profit and doubled his money' from financing the Tower of London poppy artwork display."

Moonraker

1 minute ago, Moonraker said:

"Millionaire hedge fund manager 'made a seven-figure profit and doubled his money' from financing the Tower of London poppy artwork display."

Moonraker

I couldn't believe it when I read this story.

31 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Moonraker

You must have missed the link previously posted on this thread here     (post 13)

Interestingly  Historic Royal Palaces received    £1,360.000 from the proceeds of the sale for services ? 

regards Ray

16 hours ago, RaySearching said:

You must have missed the link previously posted on this thread here     (post 13)

Interestingly  Historic Royal Palaces received    £1,360.000 from the proceeds of the sale for services ? 

regards Ray

According the the Sunday Times story all this money can be accounted for as expenses for laying the poppies and taking them back, sorting them, addressing, etc etc. It was not profit. The guy they are talking about made several million AFTER expenses.

If you look back at the topic you will find that some of us tried to point out to forum members that they were lining the pocket of "investors", so it shouldn't come as a shock ....you were warned...but "Poppy fever" had taken hold and like children anticipating Christmas they couldn't wait for their "presents"!!

regards

Tom. 

Edited by towisuk

It is up to individuals how they they spend their money as a way of commemorating the fallen .  To refer to those who bought them as being like "children anticipating Christmas" who couldn't wait  for their presents  is a rather childish comment in itself.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

I bought my poppy as a personal act of remembrance, nothing at all to do with Christmas or being childish,

Ttev

1 hour ago, Trev2386 said:

I bought my poppy as a personal act of remembrance, nothing at all to do with Christmas or being childish,

Ttev

If it was an act of remembrance...what's wrong with a standard poppy with the money going to an organisation that looks after our ex-servicemen.

I'm sorry, I find all the different reasons given for buying these pot poppies very hollow, it seems to me that normal, intelligent people had their heads turned by the slick marketing of these " Tower poppies". 

I considered it an exercise to make money from something that is held sacred in the act of remembrance....some of us knew what was happening and had none of it. My money as usual went to the Legions poppy fund and I have a normal poppy for my button hole...but as some say... "it's up to each individual how he spends his money"... there is another saying...but I won't go there, because it may upset a lot of people! 

regards

Tom

Edited by towisuk

I share many of Tom's views but it is worth noting that, even if it was less than hoped for, £9.5 million (allegedly) went to forces charities.

I refer posts Nos 102, 106, 118, 120 in this topic......

And many of you won't know of the work of Seadog and others behind the scenes, requiring their MP's to ask questions regarding the VAT that was originally going to be charged on these monstrosities. The resulting bad publicity was avoided by the Government backing down...

And if everyone put as much money in a poppy tin as they paid for when purchasing a "pot poppy" the money raised would far exceed the 9.5 million..??? that Gareth posted above! So what price remembrance??

best regards to all...

Tom

Did you know only 36% of the 143 million raised by the RBL last year, 14/15, was spent on veterans welfare?

Seems like my money spent  on a "childish" act of remembrance was well spent!

Trev

That's not the whole story Trev.  The RBL may spend (only) 36% of their money on 'Providing welfare services to our beneficiaries' but they also spend 16% of the money on 'Running our care homes and break centres'.  That's over 50% going out to those who need it.  

And please don't twist what Tom was saying.  

10 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

That's not the whole story Trev.  The RBL may spend (only) 36% of their money on 'Providing welfare services to our beneficiaries' but they also spend 16% of the money on 'Running our care homes and break centres'.  That's over 50% going out to those who need it.  

And please don't twist what Tom was saying.  

Gareth,

I don't wish to twist what Tom was saying, what I'm saying is that 100% of what the RBL raises doesn't go to those who need it, as was the case with the "Tower" poppies.

What I object to was being classed as childish with my purchase. As I stated previously, my purchase was a personal act of remembrance, the thought of swelling someone else's coffers didn't enter my mind, as I knew that only a percentage was going to various military charities.

Trev

I don't think Tom classed you as childish.  He made an analogy with children and christmas presents, that's very different.  I got your point about the RBL not passing on all its income to those in need, I was merely correcting your figures.