Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

"I just got an email, I just got an email" la, la, la, la, la.

My order is on it's way :D

Oh, no!

I just went back to the email to check the details, it's not for the same order :(

"I just got an email, I just got an email" la, la, la, la, la.

My order is on it's way :D

Oh, no!

I just went back to the email to check the details, it's not for the same order :(

Aw poor Kim. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :unsure:

Paul

Did you get an email beforehand? I know on the other poppy thread Tom's son got his over the wekend and had an email to say it was on it's way.

Hi.

The one that arrived on Saturday had no notification that it was on it's way.

The one that came this morning turned up before an email with a Yodel tracking number arrived!

The driver said that they do all have to be signed for so it would help if the emails arrived before the parcel.

Hope yours arrives soon.

Oh Kim - you must have been a nightmare as a kid waiting for Christmas :)

I placed my first order on 5 August and my surname also begins with M so we should receive ours at around the same time!

Neil

Believe it or not, I wasn't!

It's just these poppies, for some strange reason I'm really excited about getting them. It's agony knowing it could be any day - equally it could be a blummin long wait too :(

My other two arrived yesterday and were left with a neighbour (9 August order and R surname). I really do understand the excitement. I couldn't wait to open them. I had an email from a friend in Islington - their two have arrived, surname S. So now I think it all depends on where you live - London area first. (I know I'll probably be proved wrong!)

Mine have all had small traces of soil on them bringing to mind a thought that there is no way these would get through Australian customs without being 'treated'. I can't recall whether or not there was an option to have them sent overseas. I'm thinking not. But maybe even taking them to Oz in your luggage might raise a few questions at the border?

Judy

Believe it or not, I wasn't!

It's just these poppies, for some strange reason I'm really excited about getting them. It's agony knowing it could be any day - equally it could be a blummin long wait too :(

I'll virtually hold your hand Kim if it helps! I can't wait for mine either.

Anne

Waaaaaaaah, I want mine :(

Still nothing here.

Thank you for the hand hold Anne.

Judy, I do hope you're wrong, we live quite a way up north!

My other two arrived yesterday and were left with a neighbour (9 August order and R surname). I really do understand the excitement. I couldn't wait to open them. I had an email from a friend in Islington - their two have arrived, surname S. So now I think it all depends on where you live - London area first. (I know I'll probably be proved wrong!)

Judy

Judy, my order was placed on 6 August and C surname. I reckon you might be correct in thinking it all depends on where you live, perhaps London area first. I live in County Down, no poppy, no email as yet.

Anne :(

Indeed, I live in West Wales and got mine on the 18th. Perhaps it is to do with how many there are in a given distribution area, or perhaps it is just random chance.

No. Roger got his and he lives in/near Birmingham, so it can't be on where you live.

Yes, it was just a thought. Do hope yours comes soon. Don't know what else to say ...

Except that it will be worth every second of the waiting, I'm very sure ...

Judy

I was down at the Tower this morning and the crowds are still large and the display still moving. The process of lifting them by the volunteers was proceeding apace and the wide part of the moat to the north and west are now almost completely cleared. We were really glad we went to see it.

Pete.

I'm sorry.....but I thought this forum was all about the Great War...not a shopping channel...

Please read the postings for the last few days on this topic with an open mind and you'll see what I mean.

I've heard comments about the forum "going downhill" from other respected members and this topic is probably the nadir...

Tom

Tom: suggestion - if you don't like this thread, don't read it. I agree about the content over the past few days is hardly relevant to the study of the Great War, but it is not unreasonable discussion.

If you don't like the topic, don't follow it!

If you don't like the way the forum is going, you don't have to follow any of it.

Your choice

Nigel

I'm sorry.....but I thought this forum was all about the Great War...not a shopping channel...

Please read the postings for the last few days on this topic with an open mind and you'll see what I mean.

I've heard comments about the forum "going downhill" from other respected members and this topic is probably the nadir...

Tom

What a pompous statement. People who have bought the poppies are chatting to each other about when they receive theirs. Useful for them? Yes. Interesting to you? Obviously not, so don't read it!

As for the forum "going downhill" - I imagine that this is becasue Public interest in the Great War is probably at its highest level ever in recent times and there are more posts by people who don't know very much about the subject. Shouldn't we be glad about this and about their desire to know more rather than sneering at them? The variety of topics and the amazing knowledge on here never ceases to amaze me. Perhaps you just need to be more selective in your reading?

Tom

Wow. I'm quite stunned by that Tom.

Did you not read the title of THIS thread? It's about the poppies, that's what we're discussing.

There are a number of respected historian who used to post regularly on the Forum, they no longer do so.....I think I see why now!

regards

Tom

There are a number of respected historian who used to post regularly on the Forum, they no longer do so.....I think I see why now!

regards

Tom

There are some unpleasant pompous hypocrites who unfortunately still do.

There are some unpleasant pompous hypocrites who unfortunately still do.

Very nicely said. I am actually in regular off Forum touch with at least one these respected historians who used to post on GWF and it was rudeness and unpleasantness that caused him to cease posting, nothing at all to do with members having a variety of Great War interests to share. Variety in bold and caps and underlined.