Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

I heard on the news today that eBay has banned the 're-sale' of these poppies on their site.

Mark

Damn.

This may have been mentioned previously on here or elsewhere and I hadn't picked up on it, but according to what I heard on the radio this morning certain parts of the installation - the 'weeping window' & the wave over the entrance bridge to be specific - will be touring the country until 2018 before being permanently displayed at IWM London & IWM North.

NigelS

I heard something on the radio too, NigelS.

The poppies pouring from the window and the poppies in the wave over the causeway are part of constructions rather than free-standing poppies which have been sold, so it makes sense.

CGM

I didn't hear that, but on the national news, literally 1 minute ago, they said the poppies would remain until the end of the month.

It's njce that people have tbe prolonged opportunity, but in some ways I am disappointed. I really do hope the poppies remain in good condition or there'll be a lot of extra expense, and therefore less to the chairites, in repairing them

The actual news item reported that SOME OF the display would remain for another two weeks not the individual £30.95 (UK only) poppies.

Norman

No-one HAD to pay £30.95, Norman. Purchase was voluntary, and as the government have very decently decided to waive the VAT, I suppose the charities in receipt of some of the dosh will be grateful.

I find it sad that the poppies have become a subject for endless argument and debate. I think it is a remarkable concept beautifully executed. I was there on Wednesday and was moved to see the reaction on the face of a young boy struggling to take in the notion of each and every poppy he could see representing a human life.

I feel fortunate to have been able to purchase a poppy, glad that the money will help someone, have no problem with the original financial backers being repaid for their support, and will long remember the experience of standing among many thousands of people respectfully listening to the roll of honour in silence.

There are plenty of people who think if they shout their demands loud enough they can overturn the original carefully laid plans for this installation. What a shame this act of commemoration has been hijacked by the 'gimme' brigade.

No more political comments please. The next to post one risks being Stellenbosched.

Keith Roberts

It's a long time since I had one of these Keith - hope they are in abundance when the bar's open at the next birthday bash!

Anne

... certain parts of the installation - the 'weeping window' & the wave over the entrance bridge to be specific - will be touring the country until 2018 before being permanently displayed at IWM London & IWM North.

NigelS

The way I heard it on the radio was that these two features will be retained at the Tower for a while as a concession to the requests that the entire installation be retained for weeks/months/years. I did wonder at what time in the original schedule this was planned to happen, given that it's going to take some time to dismantle everything.

This morning a couple of friends voiced the thought that has been expressed here, that the installation would have been more appropriate in November 2018.

Moonraker

There seems to be lots of debate in the media re: wanting to extend the duration of the poppies at the tower. Surely this is inevitable anyhow; it took a considerable time to erect the display and no doubt it will take a considerable time to carefully remove the poppies for postage onto or collection by their purchasers. The thought of the "weeping window" or "wave" touring the country somewhat loses the effect of the display as a whole.I suggested to some friends recently that if they wished to see a poignant memorial to WW1 they visit our local cemetery, (Bishopwearmouth Sunderland), and read some of the moving comments on the base of headstones in the CWGC plot. I do this on a weekly basis as part of my Sunday run, and never fail to be moved.

Doug.

I went to see the poppies this morning, which was simply stunning, and I was taken by how polite and orderly the crowds were - except for one 'stuff the rest of you' queue jumper. There is nothing I despise more than someone who takes us all for mugs and so I decided to employ the black art that I had perfected whilst playing Sunday morning football in the 1970's.

Being a fullback of limited ability, I could however stop a speedy winger progressing up the pitch by smacking his right ankle with my left foot causing him to initially stumble, then try to regain his footing, only for him to to succumb to gravity's unforgiving force and end up face down in the clay. As a result, this allowed me to take possession of the ball to blindly punt it up the park to our rain sodden 'target' man while the offended winger questioned the validity of my parent's marriage.

So, as the aforementioned queue jumper attempted to pass me and the other patient queuers on my left hand side, the said black art instinctively kicked in, so to speak. And stumble he did enough for him to be reminded of the etiquette of the queue.

It was a great day out with strangers talking freely to each other on the beauty of the installation, asking for photographs to be taken of themselves with the poppies as a back drop and letting others through to view it all when they felt that their viewing time was over.

Well done to all those involved.

Maxi

I went to see the poppies this morning, which was simply stunning, and I was taken by how polite and orderly the crowds were - except for one 'stuff the rest of you' queue jumper. There is nothing I despise more than someone who takes us all for mugs and so I decided to employ the black art that I had perfected whilst playing Sunday morning football in the 1970's.

Being a fullback of limited ability, I could however stop a speedy winger progressing up the pitch by smacking his right ankle with my left foot causing him to initially stumble, then try to regain his footing, only for him to to succumb to gravity's unforgiving force and end up face down in the clay. As a result, this allowed me to take possession of the ball to blindly punt it up the park to our rain sodden 'target' man while the offended winger questioned the validity of my parent's marriage.

So, as the aforementioned queue jumper attempted to pass me and the other patient queuers on my left hand side, the said black art instinctively kicked in, so to speak. And stumble he did enough for him to be reminded of the etiquette of the queue.

It was a great day out with strangers talking freely to each other on the beauty of the installation, asking for photographs to be taken of themselves with the poppies as a back drop and letting others through to view it all when they felt that their viewing time was over.

Well done to all those involved.

Maxi

We saw it back in August when we went to the Tower - 9 o'clock on a Saturday morning and there were only a few people about, no queues. We came back past the tower about 6 o'clock and it was a lot busier.

Craig

Watching the images of this moving tribute and sensational piece of artwork develop I find myself thinking about the people who envisioned this idea. How smart and forward thinking they must be. Imagine the early planning meetings... 'so we'll construct nearly a million ceramic poppies and position them so they appear to pour out of the tower...'

Quite a few media reports are stating that the main installation/display will be removed on November 12. Surely what they mean is the removal will start on the 12th - it's going to take several weeks of work by the volunteers.

Moonraker

I heard somewhere that it should take about 2 weeks to clear the moat as it is a less precision task than planting the poppies.

nigel

There's a piece in the Sunday Times by India Knight today which summed up exactly how I felt when the campaign to keep the poppies kicked off. She concludes:

"They are there, blood-red and 'alive', and then they are gone, like the men -the sons, brothers, husbands - they commemorate. Those men got no extensions: that is the whole point. The poppies shouldn't either."

It's worth a read as a reminder that not everything in life works to our convenience.

(In my opinion)

When we visited about 3 weeks ago, we could see that the grass was starting to grow back in places. Hopefully it won't be tall enough to detract from the overall effect on the 11th November. A more permanent display would probably have to be on permanent hard-standing and the whole poignant effect of the poppies growing in grass would be lost.

Some of them were just laid, stemless, on the ground. No grass here.

4239400_22f33d13.jpg

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4239400

The reason they have no stems in that particular area ( Traitors' Gate I believe) is that the ground underneath is solid and there is no grass/earth to insert the poppies into, and as a consequence there is no grass.

There were some (maybe 3/4 which I saw) quite huge plants growing amongst the poppies yesterday/today when we were there.

The reason they have no stems in that particular area ( Traitors' Gate I believe) is that the ground underneath is solid and there is no grass/earth to insert the poppies into, and as a consequence there is no grass.

Well, yes, I figured that out :thumbsup:

I thought it was a very poignant variation, and the way they are scattered on the ledges like fallen leaves. And now mingled with fallen autumn leaves.

People had dropped coins in among them too.

Yes, I niticed the money, I hope it's a nice little 'extra' for the charities.

I expect the local shops and stalls will be sorry to see the installation go. It's brought millions more people to the area and with it hopefully, extra income for them.

I have read every post on this thread and thought it was time to contribute. I was honoured to be a volunteer on September the 25th. Fast pproaching my 50th birthday I wanted to do something special to mark the day. What could be more special than being part of this magnificent tribute? I duly sent a request for my chosen date and was given my joining instructions. Holiday booked from work and off I went.

I arrived early at 08:00 and found where I had to sign in then went for a coffee. When I returned there were around 30 people queueing to go in. We were told to grab a red shirt, gloves and given a badge. Then we watched a short film about the making of the Poppies and one showing how to assemble and plant and of course some safety instructions. Then our team leader took us out to the moat and on to where we were to spend the next couple of hours.

The basics were, a few people planted stems/poppies that had been assembled by a previous shift while the rest of us assembled more stems. There were people from far and wide and some naval personnel from a ship that was moored locally. One young woman had a picture of her granddad pinned to the back of her shirt which I though was a nice thing to do.

The assembly of stems was quite straight forward but resulted in sore, swollen thumbs! I think I must have got into three figures. Then I joined an elderly gent to plant some of the poppies. We were told to plant them almost touching as they thought they might have miscalculated the coverage of the moat. We worked well together, he hammered a stem in, I passed a poppy and he placed it on the stem and capped it off. Half way through a box we swapped. He then went and got one of the taller stems for me as they stood out above the rest so fewer were planted. I planted about 12 of the 888,246.

post-86533-0-60862900-1415651076_thumb.j post-86533-0-83354300-1415652088_thumb.j

After a couple of hours we stopped as the quota for the shift had been planted. It was then I realised there were many more people planting than I realised as I had been so engrossed in what I was doing. We were then given the chance to wander around and take photographs. It was a really beautiful day.

post-86533-0-44742400-1415651134_thumb.j post-86533-0-27537600-1415651303_thumb.j post-86533-0-59168200-1415651406_thumb.j

I believe around 8000 people have helped to plant but there will be more removing, cleaning and packing them in longer shifts to get it done quicker.

I will be going back on the 22nd of November to help “pick” the poppies.