Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

If the poppies had not been made and placed at the Tower we would not be having this debate. We would not have this, rather striking act of Remembrance either! Someone else - sorry cannot find the post, said they would have purchased a poppy even if no donation was being made to any of the charities.

they would have purchased a poppy even if no donation was being made to any of the charities.

This certainly true for us. It's about the poppies themselves. The fact that some of the money, however much (or little) is going to charity is an added bonus.

:

Those of you considering the financial aspects of this project should also bear in mind that the estimated gross £1.46 each charity receives per poppy sold will of course be reduced by the charities admin fees, salaries etc and as an example one of the charities in the scheme will net about 95 pence to fund their actual causes from the £25 cost of a poppy.,

Shock horror - charities pay people to work for them! And have to pay rent, rates and the elctricity bill.

The whole world's in a state of chaos.

I was of the impression that the poppy that I have purchased will have been part of an art installation not a charitable work. The fact that certain charities are to receive a donation is an added bonus and not the reason for my purchase.

That seems a very well measured view on the matter to me, Maxi.

Of course, if people don't like the financial dimension of this venture and are prepared to do without one of the poppies, it is always open to them to donate the equivalent of the cost + p&p direct to one or more of the charities, in which case no-one else will get any of it, and, if given under Gift Aid, not only will the Government not get any VAT, but it will have to stump up the tax element.

They're ceramic aren't they? If so I should think they'd be very much like an ornament, or a mug - robust enough, but don't drop them!

Sorry if this has been covered..........I,m going to see the poppies and listen to my Great Grandfathers name read out this Thursday evening.....can anyone who has been tell me, should I get there early and where is the best place to stand to record the event? thanks Colin

Close-up of the poppies.

Regards

Alan

Lovely, thanks.

I also promise not to respond any further on the subject of the money: Alan's photo rather shows what we're here for.

Colin,

Get there early to look around the tower as the installation now runs along three sides. Its quite obvious when you get there where to stand (the side furthest from tower bridge) as the steps will no doubt be busy with people waiting for the roll call. If you intend to video the event, I would suggest that you get settled by the railings early as it has the best view point. You can however view the event on-line https://poppies.hrp.org.uk/roll-of-honour

Regards,

Sean.

That's a really lovely photo Alan, thanks for posting it. As they're all hand made each one will be slightly different, your picture demonstrates this beautifully. I'm really looking forward to receiving the three we've ordered.

Should for example 500,000 poppies be sold this will bring the government a windfall on the revenue from the sales of £3,095,000 better known as a “nice little earner”.

I am not worldly-wise in politics and stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that the 'government' will not go home with bulging wallets. I (perhaps naively) thought that it would fall into the public purse so that we might all benefit. Can we have more 'nice little earners' please?

Sean, thanks very much for info, I will be there early then and try and get the spot you suggested...... Regards Colin

Actually just checked the link and it's probably better than anything I could do and in my opinion when you,re taking pictures you,re probably missing something from the occasion so I,ll just watch and listen.........thanks again.....

Colin,

If you can get set up along the railings it is still worth videoing the event yourself. There are a few what look like electrical boxes (?) set into the railings which will happily take a small table-top tripod. Set your camera up, press rec and enjoy. The on-line video is good but its not your own!! Im not even sure if you can download the on-line video for keeps. Has anyone tried?

Regards,

Sean.

I have received a reply (23/9/14) from my MP who is also a Deputy Speaker of the House to the effect that she has written a letter to the Chancellor of the Exchequer on the subject of the net VAT payable to the Government in respect of the sale of the poppies. She will let me know when a response is received.

Norman

Having purchased one of these poppies to commemorate the death of my Great-Uncle near Peronne in 1918, it was my intention to take it to France and place it on his grave.

Does anyone know the view of the CWGC on this?

Will they leave it there? or take it away on one of their regular maintenance days?

KR

Steve

Having purchased one of these poppies to commemorate the death of my Great-Uncle near Peronne in 1918, it was my intention to take it to France and place it on his grave.

Does anyone know the view of the CWGC on this?

Will they leave it there? or take it away on one of their regular maintenance days?

KR

Steve

They will take it away after a period of time.

Hmmm ...It would seem a shame that such a special item should be discarded........maybe I will alter my plan.

Edited by Rollerbeadle

The cynical side of me thinks it will be long gone before the CWGC get to it.

Just a word in praise of the Royal Palace Roll of Honour team. I was sad to discover that the recordings were only made from about the 10th August given that by some lucky chance my great-uncle's name was one of the earliest to be read out on the 7th. I emailed the team at the Tower to ask if it would be possible to publish a list of those first few days because I hadn't been able to attend. I had a very nice reply apologising for the lack of foresight having not anticipated the response from the public, and asking for my address so they can send me a certificate to commemorate the occasion. Free of charge.

I am more than happy with that. And will look forward to receiving the poppy I ordered in his memory.

Just a word in praise of the Royal Palace Roll of Honour team. I was sad to discover that the recordings were only made from about the 10th August given that by some lucky chance my great-uncle's name was one of the earliest to be read out on the 7th. I emailed the team at the Tower to ask if it would be possible to publish a list of those first few days because I hadn't been able to attend. I had a very nice reply apologising for the lack of foresight having not anticipated the response from the public, and asking for my address so they can send me a certificate to commemorate the occasion. Free of charge.

I am more than happy with that. And will look forward to receiving the poppy I ordered in his memory.

Hey Pudsey,

I went up there on the 7th and have a video if you would like it. Ironically, there was a mistake and my relative's name wasn't called out then. If you need a copy, drop me a PM and we can work out how to get it over to you. I might need advice though, as I am not good with working out how to use file shares. If you tell me your relative's name I can watch it to double-check for you.

By the way, are you sure his name was called out on the 7th? There was a bit of a mix up with some names around that time.

Incidentally, I copped a bit of abuse for videoing the ceremony. Some people behind me complained that videoing it was in bad taste. In my own defence, I would say that I have been studying my relative for some years now, and was told the stories about him by my Nan from about the age of 9 onwards. I turned the video on well before the names were called and turned it off after the ceremony was finished so that there were none of those horrible electric start-up sounds or anything like that. My intention was not to offend, but merely to record his name being read out to show other older members of my family that couldn't be there. I thought perhaps I could hand on this clip of his name on to future generations of my family, along with my research. I was quite horrified, saddened even, to think that some people might think I was being disrespectful. That was the last thing I intended. Obviously, I didnt respond, because I felt talking and complaining during the ceremony as they were, was also very disrespectful. The names are read out in quite quick succession, any talking might potentially obscure another name being commemorated. Couldn't they have waited until after the ceremony to give me their opinions to me? I would have apologised for any offence and tried to explain why I had videoed it.

On that day, I think I was one of the only ones filming, but when I went back on the 12th many people were filming it. Sorry, just thought I would comment on this.

Apologies Pudsey for adding this extra note to the end of my post to you.

Regards,

Chris

Thank you very much Chris. I will PM you.

Wonder why it is considered infra dig to film, but OK to photograph?