Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

What you get if you were quick enough to buy one.

attachicon.gifPoppy as sent small version.jpg

It includes a small length of metal stem.

Coo, you got yours already Jerry?

It looks really lovely, how nice to get a booklet too. Can't wait for ours to arrive.

Out of interest, if that is your personal one Jerry ( and not an info photo), can we, as we receive our poppies post here to say we've received them and when you ordered? I'm hoping they'll be sent out as they were ordered, ie: we ordered ours 6th August so am hoping to be an early recipient. Apart from my own personal impatience, it would be nice for others to know whenabout to expect theirs.

Does anyone find the picture of a 13 year old dressed in army fatigues saluting in a field of clay poppies meant to represent the dead of the Great War disturbing? This child has not even reached the age of consent and with the best will in the world how can he possibly understand the horror that the soldiers went through. This looks like a very inappropriate PR exercise to me particularly when the knowledgeable on this forum are able to make comparison with the scandal of the boy soldiers who served and died. To me yet another example as if one was needed of this bloodless and sanitized so-called tribute to the Fallen.

Norman

PS Before anyone goes purple with rage I am not laying any of the blame for this latest episode on the child but those including his parents who thought that this was a good idea.

Sorry Seadog as a 13 year old cadet I fully understood the reason for the poppy and the horror of war. Cadets are fully informed on any "PR" and what happens. Maybe the cadet forces should stop parading on the 11th of November along side the scouts, brownies as they are to young to understand?

As a 16 year old cadet I understood even more, and if you goggle hard enough you will find PR pictures of me in Canada doing something similar.

I have to admit the image was posted elsewhere but is of what someone received so as far as I am aware this is what we get if we ordered one (or more). I am waiting for mine to arrive. Does anyone know in what order they are sent out, alphabetically by name or location or by date ordered?

At least we now know what we get.

I will get mine when it arrives. I am somewhat less than worried whether mine is the first or the last: the mere fact of having it is enough.

Sorry Seadog as a 13 year old cadet I fully understood the reason for the poppy and the horror of war. Cadets are fully informed on any "PR" and what happens. Maybe the cadet forces should stop parading on the 11th of November along side the scouts, brownies as they are to young to understand?

As a 16 year old cadet I understood even more, and if you goggle hard enough you will find PR pictures of me in Canada doing something similar.

Don't waste your breath. Norman's a naughty old controversialist. Best not responded to.

...Does anyone know in what order they are sent out, alphabetically by name or location or by date ordered?

At least we now know what we get.

Can't be 100% certain, but my guess is by date ordered. I ordered mine quite late. I have just checked the status of my order

http://poppies.hrp.org.uk/view-order-status/

and understand that delivery is now scheduled for January - February 2015.

Letter just received from the Treasury forwarded by my MP. This has already been reported in the press mostly incorrectly so it is good to have confirmation that the 6 charities will indeed benefit from the sins of the banks in equal proportion.

post-21884-0-22381200-1416138505_thumb.j

Norman

I always refused, when I was Group Scout Leader, to allow the Scouts and Cubs to take part as a unit in theRemembrance Day commemorations. It was nothing to do with age - a lot of them belonged to the church and went, anyway.

It was just that I failed and fail to see what on earth it has to do with them as an organisation. Army cadets, now that is obviously something else again. As for not understanding what it is about; just how patronising can this older generation be.

I went to Outward Bound school at 18. Believe me, after that experience I understand exactly what trainee Marines have to do, for example.

Can't be 100% certain, but my guess is by date ordered. I ordered mine quite late. I have just checked the status of my order

I ordered mine very early on in August and have just checked the order status which is showing Jan/Feb, so I guess I just have to be patient. Thanks for the tip Standard Bearer.

As a young cub, Armistice parade was my first experience about Remembrance. As an organised group we were informed of the reasons behind the events etc.

"I always refused, when I was Group Scout Leader, to allow the Scouts and Cubs to take part as a unit in the Remembrance Day commemorations"

I am surprised by your stand on this event, I think that allowing uniformed organised groups to attend such events is a good thing & can`t myself see a reason why such a stand would be taken. I take it in your opinion that only full time uniformed service should take part? and I am not being confrontational just wondering why you feel so strongly about it.

Bob

After all Scouts played a role in the First World War, carrying messages and so for troops on home defence duty.

Does anyone find the picture of a 13 year old dressed in army fatigues saluting in a field of clay poppies meant to represent the dead of the Great War disturbing? This child has not even reached the age of consent and with the best will in the world how can he possibly understand the horror that the soldiers went through. This looks like a very inappropriate PR exercise to me particularly when the knowledgeable on this forum are able to make comparison with the scandal of the boy soldiers who served and died. To me yet another example as if one was needed of this bloodless and sanitized so-called tribute to the Fallen.

What an astoninshingly patronising attitide. You don't talk to many 13 year olds do you? Yes, I know I'm wasting my time responding because it seems you just have to go on finding something to criticise in this whole subject. We get it by now, you don't approve. Why not do us all a favour and drop it?

To be fair, heather, the old controversialist is jolly good at it.

I wonder, to be fair, how many men who served in "my" days (ie, TA soldiers who didn't have Iraq or Afghan to join in on, and who never went to NI) could possibly understand what soldiers in the Great war went through. On that basis, the number of people eligible to do anything at all for remembrance must be pretty limited. Norman's war service no doubt makes him eligible.

I ordered mine very early on in August and have just checked the order status which is showing Jan/Feb, so I guess I just have to be patient. Thanks for the tip Standard Bearer.

You're more than welcome.

I ordered mine 8th August but get the same message Jan/Feb so time will tell and I assume that perhaps everyone gets the same message, but that is only an assumption.

No hurry on it, it will arrive when it does.

To be fair, heather, the old controversialist is jolly good at it.

I wonder, to be fair, how many men who served in "my" days (ie, TA soldiers who didn't have Iraq or Afghan to join in on, and who never went to NI) could possibly understand what soldiers in the Great war went through. On that basis, the number of people eligible to do anything at all for remembrance must be pretty limited. Norman's war service no doubt makes him eligible.

I wasn't interested in trying to be fair though... I fit the category you describe (except I'm not a man) and I don't think it makes me any less eligible to remember those who did make the ultimate sacrifice. But then nor do you really do you? ;)

I just think being controversial for the sake of it is tiresome.

No.

We received one of our poppies on Saturday but it was taken to a neighbour as we missed the Yodel delivery. Hubby went and got the parcel this morning but it took a while to register what it was as it was mentioned they wouldn't arrive for some time.

Order for two was placed on 6/8/14, one arrived so far but status still saying expected January - February 2015. (Surname starts with a C in case they are doing it alphabetically).

I placed an order for my mum on 6/10/14 and that too says expected January - February 2015.

Hope they start filtering through to forum members soon, they are worth the wait.

post-86533-0-80397100-1416222877_thumb.j

Did you get an email beforehand? I know on the other poppy thread Tom's son got his over the wekend and had an email to say it was on it's way.

*drums fingers on table whilst anxiously looking out of the window in anticipation*

**3 months later they remove her mummified remains from the chair**

Had a meeting at City hall this morning, so dropped by for a nose on the way to the Tube. The attached is perhaps more appropriate to the memory of the Great War

post-6673-0-28513700-1416230194_thumb.jp

What a difference a week makes. Last Monday from The Shard.

236153713803c52aee8eb233c4ce8007_zpsedde

And at The Tower

bd70086f2fe1173a0bd4bf8c4f8e8b4a_zpsd601

Mandy