Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

Put my Great uncles name forward for the roll of honour, to be read out and its been accepted. Jus clarifying some details, but it looks like its on the launch date. I am delighted for Uncle George.

I gathered that the idea was also to have the Last Post sounded daily at dusk: anyone know a tighter time-frame for that?

Clive

Since when was art meant to be taken literally? The Tower symbolises defence of the nation to most people, despite the fact that its purpose was to stake the Norman claim to the possession of England, and I think that the metaphor of blood poured out in war for whatever reason works well with the Tower as a focus.

In any case it looks amazing and I'm planning to go and see it.

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/stories/firstworldwar/TheTowerofLondonRemembers

It's also fundraising funds for military charities, from next week you can buy the poppies. Hoping to raise in excess of £15 million, according to the British Legion.

I agree with Sea Jane, it looks amazing. I am intending to go next week and also see the Michael St Maur Sheil exhibition in St James Park.

http://www.fieldsofbattle1418.org

Mandy

The Tower is a National symbol and therefore an appropriate place to do this amazing thing. It matters not its connection to WWI ..... Although I bet some people could give us a connection....!?

Chris

• Admin

(snip) ..... Although I bet some people could give us a connection....!?

Chris

Ask and you shall receive.....

2nd Battalion Scots Guards, preceded by a military band, leaving the Tower of London to go into camp at Lyndhurst in the New Forest where the 7th Division was forming. 15 September 1914. (Courtesy of IWM Image Q 57103 - part of the wonderful collection of photos from Sgt Christopher Pilkington)

I wonder how many survived till the disastrous attack on Fromelles on 18 Dec let alone the Christmas by wich time the war was supposed to be over?

post-32914-0-87748100-1406941627_thumb.j

Great picture SPOF.

According to CWGC some 250 men of 2nd Bn Scots Guards died between the start of the war and the end of 1914. Not all would have been killed in action and they would have received some reinforcements in that period but a good number of the men in the picture would have been killed. The Tower seems as appropriate a place as any to have something like this and the sheer numbers of poppies shows the scale of the loss.

Neil

The Tower is a National symbol and therefore an appropriate place to do this amazing thing. It matters not its connection to WWI ..... Although I bet some people could give us a connection....!?

Chris

Carl Hans Lody?

Well i for one think its a very touching gesture of remembrance. Sadly the public cant attend the day of the launch when my Uncles name will be read, but still awaiting further clarification.

Thank you for posting Dan.

Anne

I'm hoping I can get to see this on my next visit; I share the general sense of wonder looking at the photographs.

2nd Battalion Scots Guards, preceded by a military band, leaving the Tower of London to go into camp at Lyndhurst in the New Forest where the 7th Division was forming. 15 September 1914. (Courtesy of IWM Image Q 57103 - part of the wonderful collection of photos from Sgt Christopher Pilkington)

I wonder how many survived till the disastrous attack on Fromelles on 18 Dec let alone the Christmas by wich time the war was supposed to be over?

Glen, sorry to slide this off topic a bit but I have an interest in the 2nd Scots Guards as I think at least two of my footballers served in the 2nd Battalion much later in the war. Is the disastrous action at Fromelles on the 18th December documented anywhere on the forum? I read your post and the question occured to me; was there ever an attack in the Fromelles area that wasn't disastrous? Happy to open up a new thread if you wish. I'm hoping to head over there soon and I'd like to understand as many of the actions in the area as I can so I can walk the battlefield.

Pete.

This made the news in Australia this morning. A beautiful tribute.

Cheers Andy.

Thank you for the link. The BBC in America showed a brief clip but the pictures gave a much better sense of the project.

Ann

I do hope they're taking some daily photos of the expanding field. Put together they'd make a rather moving film seeing the moat slowly fill up. It is a truly amazing sight.

Lots of coverage on line today. The

Daily Mail's

also includes more than a million poppies being fired in the air at Bovington Tank Museum.

Moonraker