Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poppies at The Tower of London

Beechhill

We were at the Tower in late August and watched the volunteers placing poppies. What a spectacular display of remembrance! My daughter purchased a poppy for me to commemorate our visit to Vimy Ridge a couple of years ago. I am waiting for it to be delivered after Remembrance Day.

All the best,

Gary

Chris, I managed to video the ceremony one night this week with 2 cameras, too important to miss, I found the whole event was very moving and nobody appeared offended , I was as discreet as I could have been and I have a record to cherish......... And so do you I hope.....Colin

A huge thank you to Chris for sharing his video of 7th August. It is indeed moving to hear all those names read out as the light fades.

The two names I submitted were read out together. Step-cousins from the same part of Leeds, I don't even know if they knew each other (it's complicated!) but they died in the last few days of the war and it seems fitting that they have been remembered together 100 years later.

Hopefully this is how we will keep their memory alive for another couple of generations at least.

• 3 weeks later...

For the Monarchists amongst us: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29642463

There was also a small, but moderately interesting, piece on The One Show last night. Available on iPlayer, presumably, if you must. (Graham Norton was quite funny, so feel free).

No, they haven't all been sold, but you need to get a wiggle on.

I caught the piece on the One Show last night, thought it was very good.

I've submitted 4 names for the roll of honour (1 on 22 October and 3 on 24 October). We are going to London on 9 November specifically to visit the sea of poppies, after seeing it last night, when it looked stunning, I can't wait. We've managed to squeeze in a visit to IWM onto the timetable too (oh, and St Paul's).

I shall visit the Towe early morning to take photos and a little film. But will visit again in the evening to oay my respects. I will feel very honoured to receive my poppies when they are sent out.

Just read that the poppies have all been sold.

I tried to buy some yesterday and was told they had sold out. Gutted as I wanted 5.

Sandy

That was the best thing done for the Centenary. I wish that I could have had one.

Hazel

It will certainly bring a boost to the Government and Royal Mail:

Estimated net VAT payable £3,700,000

Postage (assumes all UK) £5,285,000

Norman

It has come in for a bit of stick reference profits etc, however to stand at the Tower and hear your ancestors name read out and absorb the scene of the sea of poppies, well I,m never going to forget it ..........Colin

It has come in for a bit of stick reference profits etc, however to stand at the Tower and hear your ancestors name read out and absorb the scene of the sea of poppies, well I,m never going to forget it ..........Colin

I totally agree Colin, so simple and so moving.

Mandy

I agree Colin. Hearing my great-uncle's name being read out was a simple thing but even more moving than I thought it would be.

I think the poppies look stunning and really bring home the scale of the loss just in the UK/Commonwealth.

Neil

Norman, if the 'instalation' had not happened, no one would be any better off. Thousands of people have visited to Tower (which is free if you just wanted to walk around the outside) not heard of anyone come away moaning about the costs etc. Except the cost of lost lives!

As the poppies appear to have all been sold it would suggest that the buyers were not worried about the cost or who was getting what and are happy to pay the asking price..

i understand planning is underway for a commeration to be in place for 11/11/18. No doubt someone will take exception before it is even in place.

I agree the Poppies look stunning, a simple but moving tribute to the lost souls of the Empire.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been watching the BBC London local news.

Today the crowds coming to look at the poppies have, at times, completely overwhelmed the area.

Police have been controlling the crowds (with megaphones), because they were crossing the roads in a continuous stream and bringing traffic to a standstill.

Local buses were reporting delays of up to 20 minutes on 11 routes.

At one point Tower Hill Station was closed for a while at lunchtime to allow the crowds to clear a little.

However, all visitors were happy to queue and queue in order to see the poppies and they stayed in very good spirits.

Crowd control barriers are going up for the weekend, but visitors are being advised to wait until next week if possible and avoid arriving between 10 am and 2 pm.

Tower Hill Station is closed over the weekend for planned engineering work.

CGM

Edited to add more.

I thought it was heaving last Monday when I visited, but it sounds as though it's increasing in interest (helped by half-term holiday & better weather). Someone else has told me that he spoke to people who had come from France and even Singapore (!) specially to see the poppies.

Clive

I apologise but I don't have the time or stamina to wade through the previous 169 posts, so I desire forgiveness if this contrary and provocative view of the poppy display has been discussed before.

See: "History and all its grisly facts are worth more than the illusion of memory; ...Poppies muffle the truth about world war one, at: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/31/world-war-one-poppies-memorial-cameron

The public have now been advised to "postpone your visit" due to the overcrowding. Is there a hint there for the Last Post Association, one wonders...

Has anyone visited the poppies after dark? I've read conflicting reports of how well lit they are - we are contemplating an evening visit

Thanks

Alan

The public have now been advised to "postpone your visit" due to the overcrowding. Is there a hint there for the Last Post Association, one wonders...

If this was a proper Remembrance memorial yes, alas it is not one, so no. The poppies have been sold and there is a contractual obligation to send them out to the people who paid the money (within the time stated in the contract), and pay the venture capitalist who financed the project the monies owing to him, probably in excess of 8 million sterling.

• Admin

I apologise but I don't have the time or stamina to wade through the previous 169 posts, so I desire forgiveness if this contrary and provocative view of the poppy display has been discussed before.

See: "History and all its grisly facts are worth more than the illusion of memory; ...Poppies muffle the truth about world war one, at: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/oct/31/world-war-one-poppies-memorial-cameron

As one of the comments notes the Daily Mail was, apparently 'foaming at the mouth' about the article - doesn't take much though I was amused by the use of 'u**p' as an adjective!

In any event given the popularity of the installation, is it art or is it a memorial? I think the fact that the police are having to marshal the crowds, makes his views quite irrelevant. Unfortunately he was invited on to World at One on Radio 4 earlier this week and to be honest he came over as a bit of an idiot (polite) instead of defending his position, which as an art critic is fair enough, he spent his few minutes of fame spouting 'Dulce et Decorum Est' just to demonstrate to us plebs how clever he was, sadly Owen's view of the war while the poem is rightly celebrated, was more profound than his.

You can catch him on iplayer if you can be bothered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04md54m

Incidentally as noted above the Daily Mail is warning folk to check social media this weekend

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2815729/The-lake-poppies-spread-London-World-War-memorial-growing-nearest-Tube-station-closed-weekend-sparking-visitor-backlash.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Ken

Is there any plan for the final disposition of the last poppy to be planted. Tomb of the unknown warrior perhaps.

Nigel