Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Yes, I too stumbled across one or two on my travels, including this one, whom I predict will be extremely short lived...20230219_143603.jpg.33b70c9ae25687d5f81247b84f1c1e35.jpg

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Yes, I too stumbled across one or two on my travels, including this one, whom I predict will be extremely short lived...20230219_143603.jpg.33b70c9ae25687d5f81247b84f1c1e35.jpg

Is she Nathalie Bucknall?

No, we can exclude the fairer sex with this one.

Came out of WW1 with three limbs less than he went in with. 

He was later to join the Nazi party, which was pretty unusual being a communist.

A red beard made him very well known. 

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

A red beard made him very well known. 

Frederick Barbarossa....sorry being flippant.

Taking the dog out for a walk will try and have a look at this when I get back especially as you have provided a multitude of clues

29 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Frederick Barbarossa....sorry being flippant.

Taking the dog out for a walk will try and have a look at this when I get back especially as you have provided a multitude of clues

You might be closer than you realise 😉

Eventually lost his life because of his exploits, but my, what an outstanding man he was.

I don't think that any spy in history has a cv or accolades to match this bloke. 

4 hours ago, neverforget said:

“…this one, whom I predict will be extremely short lived...”

Er, no. I’m nowhere with this.

Edited by Uncle George

15 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I’m nowhere with this.

Welcome to my world. should be an interesting read when someone ids him. sounds like a true story that would be rejected as a script....

Sudden burst of inspiration just as I was posting. It's Richard Sorge.....

34 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Sudden burst of inspiration just as I was posting. It's Richard Sorge.....

Indeed so Pete. Well done. Red beard = Barbarossa.

Comments about Sorge by famous personalities include:

• "A devastating example of a brilliant success of espionage". – Douglas MacArthur, General of the Army[93]
  • "His work was impeccable." – Kim Philby
  • "In my whole life, I have never met anyone as great as he was." – Mitsusada Yoshikawa, Chief Prosecutor in the Sorge trials who obtained Sorge's death sentence.
  • "Sorge was the man whom I regard as the most formidable spy in history." – Ian Fleming
  • "Richard Sorge was the best spy of all time." – Tom Clancy
  • "The spy who changed the world". – Lance Morrow
  • "Somehow, amidst the Bonds and Smiley's People, we have ignored the greatest of 20th century spy stories – that of Stalin's Sorge, whose exploits helped change history." – Carl Bernstein
  • "Richard Sorge's brilliant espionage work saved Stalin and the Soviet Union from defeat in the fall of 1941, probably prevented a Nazi victory in World War II and thereby assured the dimensions of the world we live in today." – Larry Collins
  • "The spies in history who can say from their graves, the information I supplied to my masters, for better or worse, altered the history of our planet, can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Richard Sorge was in that group." – Frederick Forsyth
  • "Stalin's James Bond". – Le Figaro
  •  
  • https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sorge

Edited by neverforget

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

Came out of WW1 with three limbs less than he went in with. 

This took me down many a wrong path. And, indeed, it doesn’t seem to fit the facts

30 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

This took me down many a wrong path. And, indeed, it doesn’t seem to fit the facts

From his wiki page:

"He served on the Western Front and was severely wounded there in March 1916. Shrapnel severed three of his fingers and broke both his legs, causing a lifelong limp.20230219_202716.jpg.4fb2eb8099c0612449d2f6d3c3620cbf.jpg

In November 1929, Sorge was instructed by the the Government Political Administration (GPU) to join the Nazi Party and to break off contact with his left-wing friends. Elsa Poretsky, the wife of Ignace Reiss, a fellow agent in the GPU, commented: "His joining the Nazi Party in his own country, where he had a well documented police record was hazardous, to say the least... his staying in the very lion's den in Berlin, while his application for membership was being processed, was indeed flirting with death. Such actions were typical of... his superb self-assurance."

Sorge is most famous for his service in Japan in 1940 and 1941, when he provided information about Adolf Hitler's plan to attack the Soviet Union.

Edited by neverforget

59 minutes ago, neverforget said:

From his wiki page:

"He served on the Western Front and was severely wounded there in March 1916. Shrapnel severed three of his fingers and broke both his legs, causing a lifelong limp.20230219_202716.jpg.4fb2eb8099c0612449d2f6d3c3620cbf.jpg

In November 1929, Sorge was instructed by the the Government Political Administration (GPU) to join the Nazi Party and to break off contact with his left-wing friends. Elsa Poretsky, the wife of Ignace Reiss, a fellow agent in the GPU, commented: "His joining the Nazi Party in his own country, where he had a well documented police record was hazardous, to say the least... his staying in the very lion's den in Berlin, while his application for membership was being processed, was indeed flirting with death. Such actions were typical of... his superb self-assurance."

Sorge is most famous for his service in Japan in 1940 and 1941, when he provided information about Adolf Hitler's plan to attack the Soviet Union.

Well we learn something every day. I retract my slur. [Voltaire would have appreciated that, er, misdirection 🙂]

15 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Well we learn something every day. I retract my slur. [Voltaire would have appreciated that, er, misdirection 🙂]

Not sure which "misdirection" you mean, but clearly my last couple of W.I.T.s haven't gone down too well, though I thought they were ok candidates, with pretty reasonable clues.

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Not sure which "misdirection" you mean, but clearly my last couple of W.I.T.s haven't gone down too well, though I thought they were ok candidates, with pretty reasonable clues.

Excellent candidates, which I found difficult to crack. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I take a look at this thread for the first time in years, and what do I find on the most recent page? My favourite forum pals still chuntering away and unearthing fascinating people of whom I have never heard! Gosh it seems a long time ago we started out on this never-ending quest (thick end of a decade?)

Anyway great to see it (and you) are still going strong and greetings and good wishes from an old comrade 

David

9 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Well I take a look at this thread for the first time in years, and what do I find on the most recent page? My favourite forum pals still chuntering away and unearthing fascinating people of whom I have never heard! Gosh it seems a long time ago we started out on this never-ending quest (thick end of a decade?)

Anyway great to see it (and you) are still going strong and greetings and good wishes from an old comrade 

David

So good to hear from you David; made my day in fact. The old band is gradually coming back together. Very best wishes from Brummagem...Steve.

P.s. Good luck with the updating of the stats.:thumbsup:

Edited by neverforget

5 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

And the self same sentiments to you sir, I see your still located in “THE” county😁

28 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

chuntering away

Perhaps one of the more polite words that could be used. I aspire to chuntering. I have been saving up a photo for your return, if only I could find it.......

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The old band is gradually coming back together

Will you be touring to support the greatest hits CD?

26 minutes ago, neverforget said:

thick end of a decade

As Sam Goldwyn reputedly said "a lot of water has been passed since then....".

F. Owls.

15 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

F. Owls.

Well if such a CD were ever produced I hope it would include the memorable Sunday evening when the thread spent several hours swapping pictures of members of the Vorticists who all seemed to have some connection with the war

49 minutes ago, neverforget said:

P.s. Good luck with the updating of the stats.:thumbsup:

Kind of you to remember my sad OCD focus Steve. Now I've retired there is less excuse for not updating them but as my records only ran to page 204 and this has now just clicked over to page 664 I think I might need a a tad more than 'Good luck' !!

But as Pete would no doubt tell you I keep myself occupied by bombarding him and his long suffering sister with cricket stats, that they politely pretend to find interesting

56 minutes ago, Knotty said:

And the self same sentiments to you sir, I see your still located in “THE” county😁

Thank you Knotty. Yes I'm afraid my cousin's attempt to find us some interesting antecedents foundered early in the 19th century as it became clear that our long line of illiterate farm labouring ancestors had managed to make it from a field in Goring to Reading at some point at the tail end of Victoria's reign but had then decided that this was quite enough of an odyssey and have resolutely refused to move since.

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

F. Owls.

Will We be touring you mean.:thumbsup:

9 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

members of the Vorticists who all seemed to have some connection with the war

That would be a...20230301_084740.jpg.d707a652c766d937df2f7df3e802ac80.jpg