Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

while looking for UG’s WIT

Snap. Thought I'd post it today before I forgot his name

Ah, pretty sure I know this one but won't say, just in case.

3 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

Ah, pretty sure I know this one but won't say, just in case.

Go on have a go. "You have nothing to lose but your chains"

13 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Go on have a go. "You have nothing to lose but your chains"

Phew! OK - it's John Ross Campbell MM, a prominent Scots communist. Decorated as a member of the 63rd Royal Naval Division, in the 20s he was the Editor of the Daily Worker. In 1924 he was prosecuted for incitement to mutiny (or somesuch) as a result of an anonymous article he published, calling on the armed forces not to turn their guns on workers in the event of being called out to civil unrest, but to join them against the capitalists. The subsequent legal furore, known as the Campbell Case, brought down the Labour government. The establishment then had another go at him, after the DW published something similar the next year, and imprisoned him for 6 months. In later years, once again the editor of the DW, he stood up against the CP's initial pro-Hitler stance in WW2; to his discredit he supported the Russian invasion of Hungary (redeeming himself somewhat by opposing their next incursion, into Czechoslovakia).

Edited by Pat Atkins

1 hour ago, Pat Atkins said:

Phew! OK - it's John Ross Campbell MM, a prominent Scots communist

Indeed it is and well done. You give a useful synopsis of his life. My photo was from Wiki, although, there is suprisingly little about him on t'internet. The Campell Trial was instrumental in ending MacDonalds first minority administration, although, The Daily Mail publishing the infamous and faked 'Zinoviev Letter' four days before the 1924 General Election didn't help the Labour party.

Well done again and as a reward help yourself to an Order of the Red Banner of Labour:D

Well done Pat.

Here’s a very brave man. During the war he saved the life of a famous soldier. Who is he ? ? ? And, for a Bonus point, whose life did he save ? ? ?

FE51F3F9-98A1-4EDD-B4B3-634D1362051A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Here’s a very brave man. During the war he saved the life of a famous soldier. Who is he ? ? ? And, for a Bonus point, whose life did he save ? ? ?

If this chap won a medal for his actions his barber deserved to be shot for that haircut.

Methinks I know who this is and so in an orderly fashion will retire to the touch line to cheer on others

Aha! Someone's batman/orderly? Wait, er, no... I've still got nothing. Once every couple of years, regular as clockwork, I have a bit of luck and then it's back to The Fog Of Ignorance. He's a Yank, though, and my friend Google suggests that medal with the bird in the middle of it is the Distinguished Service Cross.

8 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

the Distinguished Service Cross.

Yes

8 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

Someone's batman/orderly? 

Also yes.

The seemingly random capitalisation is a clue.

This is Joe Angelo, who saved George Patton during the Meuse-Argonne offensive. Are we being tonsorialist about the quiff? I for one have often been tonsorially challenged and personally think it looks rather daring.

Pete.

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

This is Joe Angelo, who saved George Patton during the Meuse-Argonne offensive. Are we being tonsorialist about the quiff? I for one have often been tonsorially challenged and personally think it looks rather daring.

Pete.

Indeed. Image from Wikipedia, which also tells us that Patton called him, “without doubt the bravest man in the American Army. I have never seen his equal." The two last met during the appalling Bonus Army business, when apparently Patton snubbed him (though he supported him financially):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Angelo

Who is this chap ? ? ? He was a number of ‘firsts’.

F638C55B-F546-4A10-985A-F5804CB94D04.jpeg

EDIT: image from Daytondailynews.com

Edited by Uncle George

Well he isn't Henry Johnson. How about Corporal Freddie Stowers?

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well he isn't Henry Johnson. How about Corporal Freddie Stowers?

No, not him. Corporal? I think not!

Edited by Uncle George

Otis Beverly Duncan? He was the highest-ranking African American in the American Expeditionary Forces at the end of World War I, serving as a lieutenant colonel in the 370th Infantry Regiment.

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Otis Beverly Duncan? He was the highest-ranking African American in the American Expeditionary Forces at the end of World War I, serving as a lieutenant colonel in the 370th Infantry Regiment.

No, not him. Lieutenant colonel? I think not.

Charles Young? The first black man to achieve the rank of colonel in the United States Army, and highest-ranking black officer in the regular army until his death in 1922.

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Charles Young? The first black man to achieve the rank of colonel in the United States Army, and highest-ranking black officer in the regular army until his death in 1922.

Yes indeed. Born into slavery in 1864, graduate of West Point, apparently he stood every chance of promotion to Brigadier General upon the US entry into the Great War; but prejudice thwarted this. He was eventually promoted to Colonel on 6 November 1918.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Young_(United_States_Army_officer)

Anyone seen that recent film ‘Till’? Shocking and powerful stuff. Anyone know who this is ? ? ?

2BD234E7-C53D-4DA2-B26A-8AED7C7318BE.jpeg

EDIT: image from here: 
https://www.facebook.com/arkansasheritage/posts/pvt-leroy-johnston-joined-the-us-army-in-november-1917-at-the-age-of-23-johnston/2116862548336302/

Edited by Uncle George

Well, I am familiar with the murder of Emmett Till, and the disgusting corruption and conspiracy of the officials and jurors etc, primarily through Bob Dylan, who immortalised him in a protest song called the Death of Emmett Till. Presumably, this chap befell a similar fate?

I presume this is a reference to that delightful Southern US habit of lynching innocent black people. After WW1 wearing the uniform of the US Army offered no protection and there were many instances of black soldiers being strung up from a convenient tree. The first to suffer such a fate apparently was Sgt Charles Lewis in Fulton Kentucky

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well, I am familiar with the murder of Emmett Till, and the disgusting corruption and conspiracy of the officials and jurors etc, primarily through Bob Dylan, who immortalised him in a protest song called the Death of Emmett Till. Presumably, this chap befell a similar fate?

Yes. And his service records were falsified, denying him his campaign medals and Purple Heart. His family received them in 2018.

4 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

I presume this is a reference to that delightful Southern US habit of lynching innocent black people. After WW1 wearing the uniform of the US Army offered no protection and there were many instances of black soldiers being strung up from a convenient tree. The first to suffer such a fate apparently was Sgt Charles Lewis in Fulton Kentucky

Not him.