Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I think I've found him, under the "Professors of gender and sexuality WW1" section of the extensive library. Magnus Hirschfeld ?

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I think I've found him, under the "Professors of gender and sexuality WW1" section of the extensive library. Magnus Hirschfeld ?

Yes indeed: according to this article (which is where the photo comes from) he opened the world’s first Trans Clinic in Berlin in July 1919: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-forgotten-history-of-the-worlds-first-trans-clinic/

He is perhaps better known as the author of ‘The Sexual History of the World War’ (1941):

https://archive.org/details/sexualhistoryofw00unse

which is where the attached rather charming vignettes are to be found:

E4363F0D-EB97-4BDF-92CD-B00509E7126B.jpeg

0CE45DE7-6E04-4C6C-90CB-D9A2466E40B1.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

I found him here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_für_Sexualwissenschaft

I wonder if the irony of the closing statement in Uncle George's linked article has escaped anyone:

"As we confront oppressive legislation today, may we find hope in the history of the institute and a cautionary tale in the Nazis who were bent on erasing it." 🙄

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I found him here...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_für_Sexualwissenschaft

I wonder if the irony of the closing statement in Uncle George's linked article has escaped anyone:

"As we confront oppressive legislation today, may we find hope in the history of the institute and a cautionary tale in the Nazis who were bent on erasing it." 🙄

But we must all be careful before reading ‘The Sexual History of the World War’ - the opening page warns: “Intended for circulation among Mature Educated Persons only”.

So that’s me out.

I feel like intruding by putting one in shortly after another was answered but eh....
image.png.235f3b11fa2865f5f0308ee174756860.png
At one of the naval engagements.. my interest in him is more in the second war though.

I also should say, the most recent WIT is quite interesting

Edited by tankengine888

32 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

EDIT: your edit would appear to have self-censored your use of the word ‘urning,’ making my post rather opaque.

Apologies again UG, didn’t want to look as if I was showing off. Having just quickly read your article I was astounded that the term “Urning” was in the first paragraph.  Who knew as they say, it’s very strange how the younger generations (ours included) always assume that they are radical and the first to have a “voice”  on all manner of subjects, when those subjects have always been around in one form or another.

A very interesting and unusual WIT

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Apologies again UG, didn’t want to look as if I was showing off. Having just quickly read your article I was astounded that the term “Urning” was in the first paragraph.  Who knew as they say, it’s very strange how the younger generations (ours included) always assume that they are radical and the first to have a “voice”  on all manner of subjects, when those subjects have always been around in one form or another.

A very interesting and unusual WIT

No need to apologise John - I assumed you were trying not to offend, which is a laudable motive. Yes, Hirschfelds thinking seems refreshingly modern and liberal, and as you say this thinking is not necessarily modern at all.

2 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

I feel like intruding by putting one in shortly after another was answered but eh....
image.png.235f3b11fa2865f5f0308ee174756860.png
At one of the naval engagements.. my interest in him is more in the second war though.

I also should say, the most recent WIT is quite interesting

Is he Sir John Collins? He served with the Grand Fleet, and then had a highly distinguished Second war.

8 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Sir John Collins? He served with the Grand Fleet, and then had a highly distinguished Second war.

I drifted away from Aussie officers for once, so no

On 30/01/2023 at 15:22, Knotty said:

Barely 10 years old when on stage from what I have gathered, I picked up on the “big girls blouse”, that’s why I queried wether she did the music halls, as I thought she would have been very young to have been performing.

Grease with Arthur Mullard, former Sgt Maj RA

She was on That's TV today (Ch 183 on sky). Two episodes of Nearest and Dearest from 1971. She called Eli a Big Girl's Blouse, looked at her watch and said it's half past ... I must get a little hand on this watch. Plenty of malapropisms. She suspected the coalman of not just delivering nutty slack to her cousin Lilly but of providing other services as well. She confronted him by saying, "And her a married woman ... You big bossa nova you". Classic stuff.

21 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

I drifted away from Aussie officers for once, so no

Much as that narrows things down, a hint to help us on our way would be appreciated. 👍

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Much as that narrows things down, a hint to help us on our way would be appreciated. 👍

Started out in the 1880s as a Midshipman, captured WW2, captured, survived... Probably the biggest hint.

Thanks.👍

Pretty sure it is Admiral Walter Cowan, commander of the First Light Cruiser Squadron, the chap in my avatar (my Grandad) served under him for a short time at the end of 1917 at Heligoland Blight and into 1918 before transferring.

Edited by Knotty

44 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Pretty sure it is Admiral Walter Cowan, commander of the First Light Cruiser Squadron, the chap in my avatar (my Grandad) served under him for a short time at the end of 1917 at Heligoland Blight and into 1918 before transferring.

I think I gave away too many hints...
I actually only stumbled across him yesterday when trying to figure out how the Royal Victorian Order was mounted, his medal set was the first to appear!
Interesting man nonetheless..
Must be off, actually doing school work!
Zidane

13 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

She was on That's TV today (Ch 183 on sky). Two episodes of Nearest and Dearest from 1971. She called Eli a Big Girl's Blouse, looked at her watch and said it's half past ... I must get a little hand on this watch. Plenty of malapropisms. She suspected the coalman of not just delivering nutty slack to her cousin Lilly but of providing other services as well. She confronted him by saying, "And her a married woman ... You big bossa nova you". Classic stuff.

Medicate in my direction!

4 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Medicate in my direction!

I don't remember anything in the Bolton papers about her entertaining the troops in 1915 although I did see a picture of her when she was young in the Bolton Journal in the 20s. I will try and find the article tomorrow. Anyway That's TV had two more episodes today which I am about to watch. I hope it's a regular thing at 1100 and 1135 for a few weeks. When I was a teenager in Blackpool North Shore in the 60s I often used to see her as she rented somewhere nearby when she was appearing on the summer shows. She was said to drive a big pink American car and have a monkey as a passenger. I never saw either.

Brian

I've searched as best as I can, and can find no mention of him yet in W.I.T.

Mentioned in Dispatches for his WW1 service.20230206_153821.jpg.345dc888d578f2e38697993b231ce9f8.jpg

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I've searched as best as I can, and can find no mention of him yet in W.I.T.

Mentioned in Dispatches for his WW1 service.20230206_153821.jpg.345dc888d578f2e38697993b231ce9f8.jpg

Not much to go on. Is that some grade of Court uniform? Was he an Ambassador?

6 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Not much to go on. Is that some grade of Court uniform? Was he an Ambassador?

A Baron and a Viscount, amongst other titles. 

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

A Baron and a Viscount, amongst other titles. 

He looks a bit like Alanbrooke and the clues fit, but I have me doubts …

EDIT: No, scrap that - clearly wrong.

Edited by Uncle George

Good call, but not him. He was a member of the House of Lords, and a Colonel in Ww1.

Looks like Neville Henderson British Ambassador to Germany in 1938

3 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Looks like Neville Henderson British Ambassador to Germany in 1938

Not him either, but despite his distinguished Great War service, his temporal gain, and fame/infamy came from the period between the wars.