Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I know this doesn't say 2018, but could it be Lt. Leander Willet, who posthumously received a Purple Heart in 2019? 

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I know this doesn't say 2018, but could it be Lt. Leander Willet, who posthumously received a Purple Heart in 2019? 

Not Lt Willet. This chap was severely wounded during the Meuse-Argonne offensive, and had to crawl back on his hands and knees to reach an aid station. But on his service records, “severely” wounded was typed over and changed to “slightly” wounded. He was thus denied his Purple Heart or any awards for being wounded in action.

Surprising to see that there were so many murdered in the "Red Summer", though I suppose I shouldn't find it that surprising, but Leroy Alfred Johnson seems to fit the bill.

"Leroy Alfred Johnston was a World War I veteran who received the Croix de Guerre and who posthumously received the Purple Heart in 2018 after it was discovered that his service records had been deliberately altered. He and his three brothers were murdered during the Elaine Massacre of 1919."

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/leroy-alfred-johnston-14415/

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Surprising to see that there were so many murdered in the "Red Summer", though I suppose I shouldn't find it that surprising, but Leroy Alfred Johnson seems to fit the bill.

"Leroy Alfred Johnston was a World War I veteran who received the Croix de Guerre and who posthumously received the Purple Heart in 2018 after it was discovered that his service records had been deliberately altered. He and his three brothers were murdered during the Elaine Massacre of 1919."

https://encyclopediaofarkansas.net/entries/leroy-alfred-johnston-14415/

Yes that’s him.

What a world this is.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yes that’s him.

What a world this is.

Indeed, and it doesn't make for pleasant reading, but it's a good thing that these things are brought to people's attention. Lest we forget. 

Just now, neverforget said:

Indeed, and it doesn't make for pleasant reading, but it's a good thing that these things are brought to people's attention. Lest we forget. 

Very well said.

33 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Very well said.

Agree with you UG on those sentiments of @neverforget

38 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

What a world this is.

Agreed back then and now there is always something totally unpalatable.

And to make it bloody worse in the Knott household, Mrs K has managed to pick up Covid, so quarantined again for a few days😡😡

Edited by Knotty

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Agree with you UG on those sentiments of @neverforget

Agreed back then and now there is always something totally unpalatable.

And to make it bloody worse in the Knott household, Mrs K has managed to pick up Covid, so quarantined again for a few days😡😡

Send her our best wishes. Hope she gets off relatively lightly.🤞

21 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Send her our best wishes. Hope she gets off relatively lightly.🤞

Will do Steve, can’t believe she testing positive, and with me coughing, runny nose etc. I’m still negative

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Will do Steve, can’t believe she testing positive, and with me coughing, runny nose etc. I’m still negative

Sorry to say it's almost inevitable that you will cop for it too mate. Who knows though, maybe you'll be lucky.

Just now, neverforget said:

Sorry to say it's almost inevitable that you will cop for it too mate. Who knows though, maybe you'll be lucky.

She’s had it since last Tuesday, tested positive on Wednesday, and we have tested everyday since, she’s still positive,me negative and almost identical symptoms

Who knows….anyway it’s a goodnight from me😁

I suppose that the intriguing question is; how did this young lady manage to avoid the noose?

minna weizmann 3.png

57 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

I suppose that the intriguing question is; how did this young lady manage to avoid the noose?

minna weizmann 3.png

Is this Elizabeth Huntley - she murdered her daughter but was thought to have what we would now call PTSD, brought on by air raids? 

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Elizabeth Huntley - she murdered her daughter but was thought to have what we would now call PTSD, brought on by air raids? 

No, this Wit didn't kill anyone........... at least not directly. Indeed you could say that her profession demanded quite the opposite

Edited by ilkley remembers

I'm guessing a medic, involved in resistance?

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

I'm guessing a medic, involved in resistance?

Yes she was a medic, in fact she trained in Berlin, but she isn't German.

Was she involved in resistance? Yes she was but resistance to whom is the important question

The hints would seem to lead us to believe the Germans. 

23 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The hints would seem to lead us to believe the Germans. 

She was born in Tsarist Russia but here loyalties lie elsewhere. It is her involvement with a German which leads to problems with the British.

Time to kick this one on.

Espionage is the name of the game for this woman blessed with both beauty and brains and as a doctor in a British military hospital she is ideally placed to gather information for German Intelligence.

Her cover is blown in Italy and she deported into the custody of the British in Egypt.

Astonishingly, she escapes prosecution and is given safe passage to Russia.

One theory to explain her ability to 'beat the rap' was her older brother whose war work was seen as vital to Britain

The brother has featured on Wit and other threads on this forum 

Plenty there for us to get our teeth into 👍

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

She is Mina Weizmann.

It certainly is.............. sister of Chaim Weizmann first president of the State of Israel and a man who would become vital in maintaining British interests in the Middle East.

https://jcpa.org/fanny-the-jewish-spy-for-germany-in-world-war-i/

Well done UG commiserations @neverforgetyou were probably not far behind.

Just now, ilkley remembers said:

It certainly is.............. sister of Chaim Weizmann first president of the State of Israel and a man who would become vital in maintaining British interests in the Middle East.

To be honest, despite the abundance of clues, I hadn't really got anywhere. Well played U.G.

1 minute ago, ilkley remembers said:

It’s been a fascinating trip, unearthing a number of candidates for the future. Including that poor young woman who was sent to seduce Kitchener. Good luck with that.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Including that poor young woman who was sent to seduce Kitchener.

Can't wait for that one:D