Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Yes. Yes it is. This young woman used her cover as a pretty peasant girl of the Midi. She was discovered by the Marseilles police skulking in a fort embrasure making a sketch of a gun. She was tried as a spy and put to death.

There was a woman called felice Pfaat executed for spying in Marseilles in August 1916. Can't find anything else about her

7 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

There was a woman called felice Pfaat executed for spying in Marseilles in August 1916. Can't find anything else about her

That’s not her, no. The subject if this WiT has been described as, “one of the craftiest spies of the Wilhelmstrasse.” She was sent to Britain at the start if the war- “the chief aim of her mission was to enthral Lord Kitchener,” using her “strange powers of allurement, which had so often wrecked the hearts of lesser men.”

18 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

her mission was to enthral Lord Kitchener,” using her “strange powers of allurement, which had so often wrecked the hearts of lesser men.”

Probably barking up the wrong tree there then

Just now, ilkley remembers said:

Probably barking up the wrong tree there then

Indeed. Good luck, Jim.

That’s not her, no. The subject if this WiT has been described as, “one of the craftiest spies of the Wilhelmstrasse.” She was sent to Britain at the start if the war- “the chief aim of her mission was to enthral Lord Kitchener,” using her “strange powers of allurement, which had so often wrecked the hearts of lesser men.”

Felice Schmidt?

3 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Felice Schmidt?

Yes! One can’t help but feel sorry for her. According to a 1918 account, she took one look at Kitchener “and knew this man could no more be tempted or softened by a mere woman’s wiles than could a mountain peak. Her intuition told her how absurd was the plot she had formed. She knew man’s nature. And that experience was enough to show her the hopelessness of her quest”.

0B7A5595-A3C2-4A77-9AF0-878CA023D52E.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yes! One can’t help but feel sorry for her. According to a 1918 account, she took one look at Kitchener “and knew this man could no more be tempted or softened by a mere woman’s wiles than could a mountain peak. Her intuition told her how absurd was the plot she had formed. She knew man’s nature. And that experience was enough to show her the hopelessness of her quest”.

there was another spy theory surrounding the sinking of the Hampshire and the drowning of Kitchener where a German spy set off an explosion on the ship and was later picked up by a u Boat

17 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

The newspaper Var Matin had an article some years ago about spies in Marseilles in their regular Sunday history page. If you can get into the archives you may be able to trace it.

I do seem to remember reading about a spy in Marseilles, but can't remember any more.

37 minutes ago, healdav said:

The newspaper Var Matin had an article some years ago about spies in Marseilles in their regular Sunday history page. If you can get into the archives you may be able to trace it.

I do seem to remember reading about a spy in Marseilles, but can't remember any more.

Felice Pfaat was mentioned in a couple of British Newspapers and is a footnote in one or two books about women spies. Felice Schmidt appears to be a little better known perhaps because of her alleged links to Kitchener. There was a film made in 1969 which was loosly based on the latters exploits and those of Elsbeth Schragmuller called Fraulein Doktor staring Suzy Kendall and Kenneth More.

Interesting subject might do a little research as you suggested. The French certainly seem to have executed a number of women spies during the war

This rather unassuming looking gentleman actually had a glittering career in WW1, with gongs to match. Served in two of the three services for his adoptive country with great distinction. 20230306_182557.jpg.fb5501f5dd71421a62683da8ab83f118.jpg

Edited by neverforget

16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

This rather unassuming looking gentleman actually had a glittering career in WW1, with gongs to match. Served in two of the three services for his country with great distinction. 20230306_182557.jpg.fb5501f5dd71421a62683da8ab83f118.jpg

Is he Eugenio Possolo? He served in the Brazilian Navy and Air Force. 

Is he Eugenio Possolo? He served in the Brazilian Navy and Air Force. 

Not him, and not Brazilian. At this early stage it might be a bit of a giveaway to disclose in which country's forces he served, being one of it's most highly decorated combatants. He was born in East Africa, and performed notably (militarily) for his adoptive country pre war as well as during WW1. Things changed for him come WW2, though not for his lack of trying to participate. 

Edited by neverforget

20 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

A tirailleur Somali?

Pre war he did lead sharpshooting attack troops up until 1914, but he wasn't a Somali. His country of origin lays on the shore of the Red Sea, so, up a bit.

He holds two records /distinctions. The second of which he achieved after WW2, and the first very early in WW1.

Edited by neverforget

Yes, well played. The world's first black military pilot, and Italy's highest ranking black officer. Domenico Mondelli received two silver medals and two bronze medals won by fighting as an airman, soldier and commander of assault troops, and was awarded the title of Knight of the Order of the Italian Crown. In 1920 he volunteered in Albania at the head of the 9th Assault Ward and was awarded his third Bronze Medal. Rising to the rank of lieutenant colonel. Only after the end of World War II did he manage to reach the rank of General of the Army Corps (With the rise and for the duration of fascism, Domenico Mondelli was discriminated against).

Domenico Mondelli had joined the Freemasons in 1912 and by 1919, he had become a Master Free Mason. In 1956 Domenico Mondelli had become 33rd degree of the Scottish Rite (the highest degree).

https://afropean.com/domenico-mondelli-the-rise-fall-and-restoration-of-a-black-italian-hero/

Edited by neverforget

Heroine; honoured more than a dozen times...20230307_131147.jpg.b3d89402b2fb2a6ed0241666f0df3ccd.jpg

• Admin

Is that Émilienne Moreau? 

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Is that Émilienne Moreau? 

No. Not French but there is a connection to Orléans.

Another with a first to her name, and another who was also involved in pre war conflicts, attached to vanguard troops.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Heroine; honoured more than a dozen times...20230307_131147.jpg.b3d89402b2fb2a6ed0241666f0df3ccd.jpg

How annoying - I’ve seen this photo very recently, but can’t remember her name. (It’s not Suella, is it?)

Edited by Uncle George

52 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

How annoying - I’ve seen this photo very recently, but can’t remember her name. (It’s not Suella, is it?)

12BE3472-ADE3-4677-9AA5-A68CAF1ABB99.jpeg

No. More braverwoman than Braverman. 

Come WW1 she was actually a leader/ commander, acquiring another first or two to her c.v.

Edited by neverforget

I did mention that she had been honoured more than a dozen times. One more hefty hint before I hit the sack...20230307_222020.jpg.ee3a32d0bb76ed2ad8c09dd7f00357e2.jpg

50 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I did mention that she had been honoured more than a dozen times. One more hefty hint before I hit the sack...20230307_222020.jpg.ee3a32d0bb76ed2ad8c09dd7f00357e2.jpg

I REMEMBER!
Milunka Savić! I watched a sort of musical video on her
Milunka Savić - Wikipedia

8 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

I REMEMBER!
Milunka Savić! I watched a sort of musical video on her
Milunka Savić - Wikipedia

Close, but no cigar I'm afraid.:)