Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Here's someone who worked his way up from the bottom to end up serving the great or the good... 20230207_155419.jpg.7fa98e58a74263bdfbef84d5909cff24.jpg

Edited by neverforget

20 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Here's someone who worked his way up from the bottom to end up serving the great or the good... 20230207_155419.jpg.7fa98e58a74263bdfbef84d5909cff24.jpg

Sir William ‘From Private to Field Marshal’ Robertson, when he was footman to the Countess of Cardigan? 

Good shout but incorrect. 

My man was a schooled engineer who was promoted to lance corporal in the London Regiment before being commissioned as an Engineer. 

Achieved great fame but was the last of his kind.

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Good shout but incorrect. 

My man was a schooled engineer who was promoted to lance corporal in the London Regiment before being commissioned as an Engineer. 

Achieved great fame but was the last of his kind.

How about Robert Riddles, the country’s last steam locomotive engineer?

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

How about Robert Riddles, the country’s last steam locomotive engineer?

No, unlike Riddles he served again in WW2, again with distinction.

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

No, unlike Riddles he served again in WW2, again with distinction.

Mulberry Harbours boffin Steer-Webster.

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Mulberry Harbours boffin Steer-Webster.

Another fine effort, but alas not him either. 

Knighted in the 50s, and upon his death, his ashes were interred with his brother who was killed on the Somme. 

Is this about someone who won the VC?

Not only but also. 

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Not only but also. 

Then I think that this may be Brett Cloutman who was the last VC winner in WW1 and was an engineer of some distinction

2 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Then I think that this may be Brett Cloutman who was the last VC winner in WW1 and was an engineer of some distinction

The very same. Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Brett Mackay Cloutman VC MC KC

My reference to him going on to serve the great or the good was in relation to his becoming King's Council in 1946.

Details of his service in both wars here:

https://www.lordashcroft.com/2018/11/heroic-tale-of-the-last-vc-action-of-the-first-world-war/

Picture taken from here:

https://images.app.goo.gl/FXsX9yqCWsSFLpef8

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The very same. Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Brett Mackay Cloutman VC MC KC

My reference to him going on to serve the great or the good was in relation to his becoming King's Council in 1946.

Details of his service in both wars here:

https://www.lordashcroft.com/2018/11/heroic-tale-of-the-last-vc-action-of-the-first-world-war/

Picture taken from here:

https://images.app.goo.gl/FXsX9yqCWsSFLpef8

Interesting chap and buried with his brother Wolfred who was killed in 1915

Edit Well his ashes were buried which is allowed by CWGC although you are not allowed to spread ashes for some reason

Edited by ilkley remembers

1 minute ago, ilkley remembers said:

Interesting chap and buried with his brother Wolfred who was killed in 1915

Yes, I did mention that in the clues. A nice touch. They are in Norfolk Cemetery near Albert.

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Yes, I did mention that in the clues. A nice touch. They are in Norfolk Cemetery near Albert.

Yes it was the clincher

Just now, ilkley remembers said:

Yes it was the clincher

:thumbsup:

M.I.D. for Uncle George's groundwork. 😊

36 minutes ago, neverforget said:

:thumbsup:

M.I.D. for Uncle George's groundwork. 😊

I was convinced I had him there: Steer-Webster served in the ranks with the London Regiment during the GW and was commissioned in the RE, so he matched these clues …

https://sites.google.com/site/littleoverlhs/people/colonel-vassal-charles-steer-webster

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I was convinced I had him there: Steer-Webster served in the ranks with the London Regiment during the GW and was commissioned in the RE, so he matched these clues …

https://sites.google.com/site/littleoverlhs/people/colonel-vassal-charles-steer-webster

Very close. I was expecting you to nail him any second. 

Cabbie to T.S. Eliot: “I had that Bertrand Russell in the back of the cab the other day. I said to him, ‘Right then, Bertrand, so what’s it all about?’ And do you know, he couldn’t tell me!” 

Anyway, who’s this ? ? ?

B6488CD0-85C3-4050-B732-556654C37301.jpeg

EDIT: Image from Wikipedia

Edited by Uncle George

Is it Jesus?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is it Jesus?

In the news just today, God may be non-gendered by the CofE. That’s a discussion for another time; but this particular WiT is a woman.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Anyway, who’s this ? ? ?

Presumably a nun.  Is the painting one of those holy women/prophetesses who have become a feminist icon like Hildegarde of Bingen much admired by Pope Benedict 

8 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Presumably a nun.  Is the painting one of those holy women/prophetesses who have become a feminist icon like Hildegarde of Bingen much admired by Pope Benedict 

Yes, and no … she was a nurse in an Austrian field hospital during the GW, murdered during the Second war.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Yes, and no … she was a nurse in an Austrian field hospital during the GW, murdered during the Second war.

Sister Maria Restituta Kafka executed by Nazis in 1943. Was a nurse WW1

"The innermost essence of love is self-offering. The entryway to all things is the Cross"

Excellent WiT certainly took some working out.

Its Edith Stein the phenomenologist and follower of Husserl. Eventually got the Russell and Eliot similarities about the nature of existence, although, doubt the former would have agreed with Stein. Eliot was I suppose would have appreciated the essential empathy and Christian nature of her writings. Her relationship with Heidegger is interesting given his almost anti-humanist thought to say nothing of his love of the Nazis. He survived of course whilst she was murdered in Auschwitz which perhaps demonstrates that goodness gets you nowhere in this life