Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

11 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to the identity of this gentleman?

761296498_ThePadre.jpg.2d88bdd99149303533639db1dcdb42bd.jpg

First thought was Tubby Clayton but clearly it isn't did wonder if it is the co-founder of Talbot House Neville Talbot

Correction Just seen your earlier posts about this chap so disregard the above

Edited by ilkley remembers

11 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

indeed it could be seen as contradictory

Are we reaching for the stars again?

Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître.

14 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Good call.

Here is another cleric whose fame did stem from his ministry

davidson.png

54 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Faster than a speeding bullet Mr P. Impressed. I suspect speed was necessary because Mr Remembers was hot on the trail. The photo is from his Wikipedia entry amongst other places which details his mathematical brilliance in coming up with much of the knowledge that Edwin Hubble was credited with. Many of the mysteries that still inform modern cosmology can be traced back to both men. That he was a cleric at the same time is remarkable too.

Pete.

P.S. An extra bonus point for getting the accent and the little hat over the i in the name.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

Faster than a speeding bullet Mr P. Impressed. I suspect speed was necessary because Mr Remembers was hot on the trail. The photo is from his Wikipedia entry amongst other places which details his mathematical brilliance in coming up with much of the knowledge that Edwin Hubble was credited with. Many of the mysteries that still inform modern cosmology can be traced back to both men. That he was a cleric at the same time is remarkable too.

Pete.

P.S. An extra bonus point for getting the accent and the little hat over the i in the name.

Yes it does seem like a contradiction in terms. It's a subject that is close to my heart, through listening to and reading the works of people like Krauss, Sagan, Dawkins, Hawkin etc. 

P.S. On a hunch I systematically went through the wiki list of cosmologists until I found him.Thus the copied and pasted name, complete with afflictions. 😁

In many ways Lemaître seems more impressive than Hubble, even down to his WW1 service, yet it has taken a century to recognise it. Maybe being a famous Belgian has something to do with it......

Edited by Fattyowls

I'm going to kick this one up field

His pastoral work was conducted with an almost Gladstonian fervour and it is said with genuine passion. But in an encounter with a predator was more Albert than Androcles and had a catastrophic result. 

davidson.png

1 hour ago, ilkley remembers said:

I'm going to kick this one up field

His pastoral work was conducted with an almost Gladstonian fervour and it is said with genuine passion. But in an encounter with a predator was more Albert than Androcles and had a catastrophic result. 

davidson.png

I don’t get the lion reference but I’m going to say James S Stewart. He served with the RE during the GW, and Wiki tells us, ‘He authored many books, including Heralds of God, The Strong Name, and A Man in Christ. In 1999, Preaching Magazine ranked James S. Stewart as the best preacher of the twentieth century, commenting that his books on preaching "have inspired tens of thousands of preachers to strive for greater effectiveness in their proclamation of God's Word." ‘.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

In many ways Lemaître seems more impressive than Hubble, even down to his WW1 service, yet it has taken a century to recognise it. Maybe being a famous Belgian has something to do with it......

A most remarkable man and all the more so given the limitations of faith. Excellent post Pete.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I don’t get the lion reference but I’m going to say James S Stewart. He served with the RE during the GW, and Wiki tells us, ‘He authored many books, including Heralds of God, The Strong Name, and A Man in Christ. In 1999, Preaching Magazine ranked James S. Stewart as the best preacher of the twentieth century, commenting that his books on preaching "have inspired tens of thousands of preachers to strive for greater effectiveness in their proclamation of God's Word." ‘.

Not Mr Stewart I'm afraid. This Wit despite his missionary zeal kept the more salacious journalistic elements entertained. It was a case that delighted the prurient and appalled others. It was a celebrated scandal in the 1930s and one which still arouses some interest. Our Wit would ultimately lose his life in the most appalling circumstance

Here is another photograph of him

davidson 2.png

Edited by ilkley remembers

A search for a vicar killed by a lion brings up Harold Davidson. Rector of Stiffkey.

The Rector of Stiffkey?

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

A search for a vicar killed by a lion brings up Harold Davidson. Rector of Stiffkey.

Yours, by a nanosecond.

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

The Rector of Stiffkey?

Yours, by a nanosecond.

Makes a change 😊

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yours, by a nanosecond.

Well done to both of you

It’s the infamous case of the Rector of Stiffkey, Harold Davidson aka the ‘Prostitutes Pardre’ who kept the Sunday newspapers in headlines for several years during the 1930s.

Davidson had the living of Stiffkey, a quiet parish in Norfolk who during WW1 served as a chaplain on several of His Majesties warships.

Upon Davidsons return to Stiffkey he developed keen interest in the spiritual and moral welfare of young women and regularly took himself off to London in search of the needy. Neglect of his parish and financial problems brought him to the attention of the Bishop of Norwich. As his sad tale unfolded his missionary efforts in the capital became the subject of investigation. Witnesses came forward to complain of improper conduct and a photograph of him with a semi-naked 15 year old girl were enough to have him defrocked.

Davidson continued to plead his innocence and sought to improve his finances by become a show ground attraction. He starred at Blackpool Pleasure Beach where he was exhibited in a barrel and later at Skegness in a lion taming act. One day the lion took exception to Davidson and attacked and mauled him. He was fatally injured and died a few days later.

His Wiki page, from where this photograph was taken, makes an interesting and at times amusing read.

Given todays match.....Rugby player by any chance?

2 minutes ago, ilkley remembers said:

Given todays match.....Rugby player by any chance?

Er, no. And anyway, our PM has recently made his opinions very plain, on the unfairness sometimes to be found in sport these days.

Given your hints I think I see where you might be coming from Uncle George. Is it a case of who is this, or what is this? 🤔

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Given your hints I think I see where you might be coming from Uncle George. Is it a case of who is this, or what is this? 🤔

Ah ha, you mean Take a Walk on the Wild Side….wrong thread but right direction I believe😁

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That is the general theme, yes. But not for this chap personally.

EDIT: and he is an author, which is, I think, where his on-topic fame mainly lies.

Edited by Uncle George

Sorry UG

Have not got a clue who, let’s just say the appearance and demeanour of the gentleman looks more on the academic side than the somewhat perceived flamboyance of certain candidates.

Edited by Knotty

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Sorry UG

Have not got a clue who, let’s just say the appearance and demeanour of the gentleman looks more on the academic side than the somewhat perceived flamboyance of certain candidates.

A bit of both, to be fair.

“Urning” - completely on point. 

EDIT: your edit would appear to have self-censored your use of the word ‘urning,’ making my post rather opaque.

Edited by Uncle George