Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

No, he was a happy accident, so I'm fine with a quick identification. I feared the wrath of the Mods for my off topic family history so quickly googled 'Cholsey in the Great War' in the unconvincing hope of someone suitable popping up and being amazed that someone as interesting and memorable as this chap having decided to spend the second half of the war sequestered in Berkshire.

David

Good find.

Most of my better finds have been happy accidents. 

48 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Let me preempt number 1272 - No I have no idea why they meekly accepted this change of name and the ensuing agonies of correcting interlocutors that have bedevilled us for the last 150 years

David 'No its R - I - D - G - U - S'

You could’ve changed the spelling - you will recall that Louis Spears changed the spelling of his name in 1918.

Who'd have thought it; I obviously knew the name but couldn't put a face to it.  I learned those lines at school but still can't exactly place Nineveh, and many of us have walked in his footsteps.

Pete.

P.S. Although I was sure that he wasn't a forebear of Jamie Vardy I'm somehow relieved to see it confirmed.

47 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

You could’ve changed the spelling - you will recall that Louis Spears changed the spelling of his name in 1918.

Weirdly enough that had never occurred to me. 

Oh and just to tidy up the loose ends, as Pete and NF had recognised, the Vardy doppelgänger was John Masefield, who returned from his stint as a medical orderly on the Western Front to move his family to Cholsey. Interesting that the poet of the sea and distant horizons chose to live in a place about as far from the sea as you can get in this country and where the inhabitants looked on Hungerford as a distant horizon

David

11 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

where the inhabitants looked on Hungerford as a distant horizon

Some of us from Newbury still do😁

24 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

a place about as far from the sea as you can get in this country

The inhabitants of Meriden to the south of Plumb Acres may take issue with you over that assertion. On Masefield I have read quotes from The Old Front Line but not the full book. There is a link to a decent chunk of it in the Masefield entry in the extensive library, and Pen and Sword have a version with a foreword by some chap called Middlebrook. I wonder if a walking tour might be in order when we emerge onto the sunlit uplands

12 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Some of us from Newbury still do

You are what used to be called a card Mr K. I'm off to look at various on-line maps for Nineveh, I'll check out where Hungerford is while I'm in there. I don't think they are close.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
spelling outrage

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

The inhabitants of Meriden to the south of Plumb Acres may take issue with you over that assertion. 

Pete.

Seeing as we were discussing Masefield, I'll allow a little poetic license 😊

image.png.d4535804ce5af657b61728bbf0535aab.png

Sorry all,  I simply couldn’t pass this one by. He has an enduringly famous and loved namesake. WIT?

GH

16 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

image.png.d4535804ce5af657b61728bbf0535aab.png

Sorry all,  I simply couldn’t pass this one by. He has an enduringly famous and loved namesake. WIT?

GH

Are you sure he isn’t Salvadore Dali? (Seen here on Britannica):

4DA5E378-B068-4993-87A8-35322FEA3DA2.jpeg

Sorry, UG,  Not Salvador,  In the picture,  he’s sampling honey. He served overseas with the East Surrey Regiment and the Royal Air Force. 

Whoops,  should have credited Getty Images for the photo - and the one coming up.....

6 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Sorry, UG,  Not Salvador,  In the picture,  he’s sampling honey. He served overseas with the East Surrey Regiment and the Royal Air Force. 

Whoops,  should have credited Getty Images for the photo - and the one coming up.....

Mute point, but RAF or RFC? 

Good point.  my source says Captain in the East Surrey,  Seconded to the RFC then to RAF.  

16 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Good point.  my source says Captain in the East Surrey,  Seconded to the RFC then to RAF.  

I've been looking through the Ww1 RAF service records, and found someone who served with the RAF in 1918, a James Mason?

Can't make out which unit he served in before being transferred though.

Sorry,  not James Mason.  He was more of a Skinner than a Mason....

This is him with some other bloke,  its not clear where he's hiding  his crystal mace.

image.png

Edited by Gunner Hall

That is Sir Rupert de la Bere, Lord Mayor of London in 1952-53, and the photo shows him at the Coronation. His robe is one worn only on such occasions.

The one on the left may be Monty - the page is carrying a viscount's coronet.

Ron

Well done Ron,  Sir Rupert De La Bere it is. As a member of the Worshipful  Company of Skinners, he was the Lord Mayor of London in Coronation Year.  Part of his duties at that coronation was to carry the Crystal Mace (given to the city by good King Harry 5, as thanks for putting up the money to beat the Frogs at Harfleur and Agincourt.)  You've spared me having to use a clue about that dreadful "We all stand together, AKA The Frog Chorus"  

GH.  

It was Monty by the way.  

2 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Sorry, UG,  Not Salvador,  In the picture,  he’s sampling honey. 

Rupert Bere. Good one G.H. 😁

Yes,  I trawled him up tying to find the person who subsequently was revealed as Frederick Palmer VC -   and couldn't believe my eyes.  Rupert De La Bere, indeed.  The poor old s*d,   Just have to find Micky Da Mouse now! 

10 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Yes,  I trawled him up tying to find the person who subsequently was revealed as Frederick Palmer VC -   and couldn't believe my eyes.  Rupert De La Bere, indeed.  The poor old s*d,   Just have to find Micky Da Mouse now! 

As David and I were saying yesterday, all the best finds tend to be happy accidents. 

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

That is Sir Rupert de la Bere, Lord Mayor of London in 1952-53, and the photo shows him at the Coronation. His robe is one worn only on such occasions.

Blimey. I bet no one would have imagined it would be hanging in the wardrobe for the next 70 odd years. I hope it hasn’t got moth

3 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Blimey. I bet no one would have imagined it would be hanging in the wardrobe for the next 70 odd years. I hope it hasn’t got moth

Traditionally, the reciepient got to keep it..  Someone will have to shell out for another set for the next coronation.   I expect it came in handy for fancy dress parties.  

5 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

So, who are these ? ? ?

8D35496F-FD3E-4B09-9E83-14F57E6D4E93.jpeg

93F82536-1862-44C9-8507-56E69789F0F2.jpeg

EC3382A0-FB22-430F-BD7A-193FBDE7AFD0.png

EDIT: all images from Wikipedia.

Edited by Uncle George

6 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

So, who are these ? ? ?

Wilson,Kepple and Betty-  before they sharpened their act a bit?  Your guess at to who is Betty.