Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I believe it was actually Captain Kevin Darling, upon reading his last diary entry

image.png.08fba98a15bf63ff8adbc7764e48d4b6.png

Certainly was, ref to Blackadder as I was unsure who said it, thought it was after he’d spoken to Haig about not doing the push and the favour owed from Mboto Gorge😁

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

thought it was after he’d spoken to Haig about not doing the push and the favour owed from Mboto Gorge😁

"Rhymes with clucking bell"

(We never did find out whether the natives at Mboto Gorge were armed with the Mark III or the modified Mark IV pineapple slice)

We never did find out whether the natives at Mboto Gorge were armed with the Mark III or the modified Mark IV pineapple slice

Thought it was kiwi fruit and guava halves😇

Try this chap- should be fairly easy:

image.png.e41de84925700976690b9b1a879354bb.png

3 clues:

1)  NOT Captain Birdseye in a good mood.

2)  A connection with Epehy

3)  He wanted 1, others wanted 6-somewhere else

Try this chap- should be fairly easy:

image.png.e41de84925700976690b9b1a879354bb.png

3 clues:

1)  NOT Captain Birdseye in a good mood.

2)  A connection with Epehy

3)  He wanted 1, others wanted 6-somewhere else

He looks like Christopher Cradock, but I dunno about your clues. As for mine of earlier today, I was going to post him as one of a pair with Clifford Tozer. But then I thought, he would mean nothing to anyone other than you and me (and any other passing Janners, I suppose). And I couldn’t find a GW photo of him anyway, though he did serve.

Alas, not Cradock.  

Have another clue-   Connected with a Parliamentary Colonel of the English Civil War.

PS- Did any of the Spooners or Yeos serve? Ivor Dewdney was too young 

Alas, not Cradock.

Have another clue-   Connected with a Parliamentary Colonel of the English Civil War.

The only Colonel I can think of is Pride, as in Pride’s Purge. Anywhere near?

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

The only Colonel I can think of is Pride, as in Pride’s Purge. Anywhere near?

Not quite.  This one for a particular WIT connoisseur to get-or hold his head in shame

Hold on- I regret I must apologise to colleagues-  I have been misinformed[by my dear old Dad,as it happens]   -  Wrong Parliamentary Colonel.  So let me correct this and offer another clue instead:

Our man had a residential connection with this man:

image.png.eb5c843563ee9ab7ed225d6ec065523b.png

Churchill, the supposed giant of democracy and promoter of the Official Secrets Act said of our man  "it is desirable to know everything in order to understand what to conceal"

[PS-David, I might PM you when I have the details to hand regarding a Reading/Berkshire casualty local to me. Child of unmarried mother, enlisted at Reading, 1st Berks. Stated he was born in Reading-cannot track him-or her before the war-  Surname is Collins]

Edited by Guest

Sorry. As normal on WIT the more clues the more befuddled I get. There were Marines at Epehy, Wise was born in Morley, had a partner called Morecambe and died in Slough. Churchill sounds like he’s riffing on his truth has to have a bodyguard of lies shtick. So overall after about three hours of searching not the foggiest. Starting to remember why I abandoned WIT!!

Now we don't want you going AWOL so soon after the provos have brought you back......

1)  Our man's son was killed at Epehy.

2) Our man had a residential connection with a place called "Wise" but not,alas, any with the places associated with the late, great Ernie of that ilk.

3) Our man and this one below  both achieved the office of President in 1912

image.jpeg.1a7fe7d7d065d7e189559df4d3156fff.jpeg

4)   Our man lost his only other son at Jutland

Admiral Alexander Bethell.

Try as I might, I'm getting nowhere with Uncle George's chap. I'm probably just being dense but I need another clue I think.

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Try as I might, I'm getting nowhere with Uncle George's chap. I'm probably just being dense but I need another clue I think.

There have already been two clues, viz. the grapefruit segments; and Sir Clifford Tozer. Sir Clifford was a very big cheese in Plymouth - a Devonport Councillor before the First war, Mayor of Plymouth in 1930, and Lord Mayor in 1954. But do not let his career in local government take you down a false alley.

42 minutes ago, neverforget said:

17 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

There have already been two clues, viz. the grapefruit segments; and Sir Clifford Tozer. Sir Clifford was a very big cheese in Plymouth - a Devonport Councillor before the First war, Mayor of Plymouth in 1930, and Lord Mayor in 1954. But do not let his career in local government take you down a false alley.

Fore Street, Devonport (pre-Blitz):

35F6BDDC-A1F0-4AC4-B459-2DC9437D31B8.jpeg

Seeing as I'm getting nowhere with soldiers called Draper, I'll take a stab at a Plymouth Argyle footballer; Moses Richard Russell?

22 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Seeing as I'm getting nowhere with soldiers called Draper, I'll take a stab at a Plymouth Argyle footballer; Moses Richard Russell?

Good thinking, but no. My chap was more of a tailor, then a grocer, than a draper. And the packaging of the grapefruit segments is the clue, rather than the segments themselves.

Jack Cohen. Founder of Tesco's. 

Good one U.G.

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Jack Cohen. Founder of Tesco's. 

Good one U.G.

Yes indeed. You will have seen this on Wikipedia:

“ ... In 1917, he volunteered to join the Royal Flying Corps where he used his tailoring skills as a canvas maker for balloons and other aircraft. He served in France, and also in Egypt and Palestine. In December 1917, he was on board HMS Osmanieh, a passenger and cargo ship that had been taken over by the Royal Navy as a supply ship and troopship. The vessel had sailed from Southampton carrying soldiers and medical personnel. But just as it reached its destination, Alexandria on the 31st, it struck a mine that had been laid at the harbour entrance a few days earlier by the German submarine SM UC-34. The ship sank in less than seven minutes with the loss of 209 people, including soldiers, nurses, ship's crew and the ship's captain. Cohen survived, thanks to a nurse who helped him stay afloat in the water ... “

Image from here:https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-7287195/The-spirit-Jack-Cohen-reigns-supreme-Tesco-says-boss-Dave-Lewis.html

How about this chap.

Famous for his prowess at bombing.

A pioneering community leader.

Took part in "Battle of Westminster Bridge".

20201101_183757.jpg.35575c9e4b94e47448392729a5277f25.jpg

1 minute ago, voltaire60 said:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Bit late-cataract op. this morning-Apologies)

No worries. Hope all went well.

19 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

cataract op. this morning

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Hope all went well

What he said.

16 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

The only Colonel I can think of is Pride, as in Pride’s Purge.

I am scandalised by this admission; however once my ire has subsided I will post a man who fits the clue. Recycling is important, as anyone who hears me repeating the same old gags will attest.....

Pete.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

How about this chap.

Famous for his prowess at bombing.

A pioneering community leader.

Took part in "Battle of Westminster Bridge".

One I actually know and hasn't been got - George Roberts:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8693535/Black-WWI-hero-born-Trinidad-served-British-Army.html

3 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

Quite so. An extraordinary chap. Well played Andrew. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Arthur_Roberts