Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

One more which should be relatively easy, and then someone else can take over the reins.

20201101_111620.jpg.b7adba52aa06fe9d598dbf80cccb72b0.jpg

Credited with a "first".

15 minutes ago, neverforget said:

One more which should be relatively easy, and then someone else can take over the reins.

Is he William Robinson Clarke?

Just now, Uncle George said:

Is he William Robinson Clarke?

Got him in one Uncle George. Well done.

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/william.robinson.clarke/

On 27/10/2020 at 23:47, neverforget said:

That tash looks remarkably familiar. I've been racking my brains. I think it might be Captain Fergus Bowes Lyon.

isn't that the brother of the Queen's mum??? 

Just to note that I'm hopelessly behind... 

M.

Just now, Marilyne said:

M.

Yes it was Marilyne. 

42 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

M.

A very good spot MM; I seem to remember some video footage of her visiting Dud Corner and walking alone up the central path to where her brother's name was inscribed. It was very moving.

Pete.

35 minutes ago, sassenach said:

It's said, I believe, that his death at Loos was the reason for HM's lifelong aversion to all things Germanic. 

Which would include her husband then presumably. 😉

14 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Which would include her husband then presumably. 😉

Yes, there is a bit of a conflict there. I believe that Queen Mary spoke with a slight German accent, and was occasionally fond of singing "ja, ve haff no bananas..."

6 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Yes, there is a bit of a conflict there. I believe that Queen Mary spoke with a slight German accent, and was occasionally fond of singing "ja, ve haff no bananas..."

😁😁

When it comes down to it, we're all mongrels at the end of the day. 

Perhaps I should add if we go back far enough.

Edited by neverforget

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

😁😁

Yes. SWMBO did one of those DNA tests and now claims to be a member of the Ulster Viking community, by way of Norfolk.

Mine revealed a hefty portion of Scandinavian too.

(Explains a lot according to my better arf.😊)

My family's descending from Jan Hus... if I get angry and throw somebody out of the window I can always claim family traditions... 

M.

19 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

My family's descending from Jan Hus... if I get angry and throw somebody out of the window I can always claim family traditions... 

M.

Imaginative defence major; but I wouldn't rely on it, most jurisdictions would take a dim view of defenestration these days. If somebody annoys you why don't you threaten to set your bear on them?

Pete.

31 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

My family's descending from Jan Hus.

What I forgot to say is that is world class namedropping. I'm assuming you know what it means given your English is so good.

Pete.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

😁😁

Perhaps I should add if we go back far enough.

Unfortunately in my case that would mean going back to pre-history as the DNA folk reckon they can isolate the whole of my branch-less family tree back to a single muddy field in Cholsey. A fact that came as no surprise as we had found that as recently as my great grandparents they had had to sign their marriage certificate with Xs whilst the Parson proceeded to misspell their names saddling us with the irritatingly unusual 'Ridgus' replacing the perfectly serviceable 'Ridges' under which we had happily dug over the field since the feudal system was a new fangled idea. 

And  here's someone who looks like he might just have met one of my ancestors which, incredibly, he may have done during the Great War

image.png

5 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

saddling us with the irritatingly unusual 'Ridgus' replacing the perfectly serviceable 'Ridges

Things I've always wanted to know but didn't know how to frame the question - number 1271.

Pete.

P.S. Is your man a direct ancestor of Jamie Vardy by any chance?

Edited by Fattyowls
Punctuation, personalisation and P.S.

Hmm. That is a face that looks familiar, but then I often think that only to find that when it's revealed I've never heard of him. 

10 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Things I've always wanted to know but didn't know how to frame the question - number 1271.

Pete.

P.S. Is your man a direct ancestor of Jamie Vardy by any chance?

Let me preempt number 1272 - No I have no idea why they meekly accepted this change of name and the ensuing agonies of correcting interlocutors that have bedevilled us for the last 150 years

David 'No its R - I - D - G - U - S'

Incidentally, I've been researching my family tree for years, and have managed to get back to the 1500s with the paternal Plumb branch. Over the years the spelling has varied from Plumb to Plume and Plum. Both my great grandparents on my dad's side signed their wedding banns with a X. 

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Hmm. That is a face that looks familiar, but then I often think that only to find that when it's revealed I've never heard of him. 

You'll have definitely heard of him NF. Although I really wish he was Jamie Vardy's grandad

5 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

You'll have definitely heard of him NF. Although I really wish he was Jamie Vardy's grandad

If that's a clue it's gone way over my head 😁

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

If that's a clue it's gone way over my head 😁

No just a reference to Pete's latest flight of fancy.

A giveaway clue would be that one of the many words he might have used that would have gone over my great grandfather's head was 'quinquireme'

It was a giveaway clue David, but only because I had to look up the meaning of it. Your man jumped straight out of the page at me. 

You might wish to remove it in order to give him more "legs".

Mum's the word.😊