Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Pete will know this I am sure

No pressure then. This is of course assuming I'm the Pete in question, other Petes may be available (hopefully they will have more of a clue than I do).

Pete.

15 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

No pressure then. This is of course assuming I'm the Pete in question, other Petes may be available (hopefully they will have more of a clue than I do).

Pete you have, I think I’m right in saying, a particular interest in the battle I have in mind. I may, of course, be mistaken. 

Just now, Uncle George said:

Pete you have, I think I’m right in saying, a particular interest in the battle I have in mind. I may, of course, be mistaken. 

Would the battle in question have taken place on the hills around a garrison town on the Meuse in Lorraine? He said grasping at the clue like a thirsty man seizing an ice cold Pepsi in the Arizona desert.*

Pete.

*other acts of desperation metaphors and images are available on application.

20 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Would the battle in question have taken place on the hills around a garrison town on the Meuse in Lorraine? 

Oui, c'est ça.

Is Dougal , de Gaulle?

David

Edited by David Ridgus

Good grief! Just looked up Dougal on the extensive library and found to my amazement that in the '60s Serge Danot  actually thought Eric Thompson had renamed the dog  to sound like de Gaulle. 

David

PS Apologies if you all knew this already

PPS No idea who the chap wearing a toga and banging the dinner gong is meant to be

Edited by David Ridgus

Sir! Sir! I knew that honest Sir! Charles de Gaulle was of course wounded and captured in the very early stages of the Verdun fighting at some disputed barricade. In his case it was in the village of Douaumont which is down the hill from the fort on the north west side.

Pete.

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Sir! Sir! I knew that honest Sir! Charles de Gaulle was of course wounded and captured in the very early stages of the Verdun fighting at some disputed barricade. In his case it was in the village of Douaumont which is down the hill from the fort on the north west side.

Pete.

Put your hand down Jones minor. Although there are definite brownie points for the Seeger reference. My goodness what a great poem that is

Down where sir?

I can't recall going down to the village site which now has a memorial chapel. I'd forgotten that De Gaulle was captured in the village on the 2nd March, the fort above having fallen on the 26th February. They were surrounded and attempting to break out to the French lines which were still very close to the fort. It's only when you look at the map you see how close everything is on that part of the battlefield, unfortunately you can't see the wood for the trees. The famous Tranchee de Bayonets is a stones throw to the west (if you have a trebuchet).

Pete.

P.S. I haven't got a clue who the other cartoon character is. I thought it might be the magic potion druid from Asterix the Gaul, Getafix, but the style doesn't look like Uderzo's to my untutored eye.

49 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Is Dougal , de Gaulle?

David

Yes. Many years ago I was given to understand that ‘Magic Roundabout’, made in France in the ‘60s, was a parody of the French politics of the time, and that all the characters were parodies of politicians. Dougal, I was told, was supposed to represent de Gaulle. I believed this at the time and for many years. 

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

P.S. I haven't got a clue who the other cartoon character is. I thought it might be the magic potion druid from Asterix the Gaul, Getafix, but the style doesn't look like Uderzo's to my untutored eye.

The chap is more closely identified with Verdun than is de Gaulle. But think Belgian rather than French.

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

The chap is more closely identified with Verdun than is de Gaulle. But think Belgian rather than French.

Is there a character in TinTin called 'Petain'? (I fear I'm rather parading the superficial nature of my knowledge of Belgian cartoons and the battle of Verdun. I think I'll totter off to the staff room and let that clever young Jones sort it out)

Edited by David Ridgus

4 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Is there a character in TinTin called 'Petain'?

If it's not Hergé I'm stumped. Is there a serving Belgian major in the house?

7 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Is there a character in TinTin called 'Petain'?

No but you have arrived at the right station. ‘Tintin and the Shooting Star’ was published in 1941 and features this chap, one Professor Phillipulus. Phillipulus is said to be a caricature of Petain - after observing a ball of fire heading for Earth he goes insane, dresses himself in white and goes around beating a gong while claiming to be a prophet. Just as Petain is said to have demanded the French repent imaginary sins. Such, however, is the theory of one Pascal Bruckner, who apparently is a philosopher.

Right, if the coast is clear who is this avuncular chap?

https://www.navy.gov.au/sites/default/files/portraits/Sydenham.jpg

For this one you should consider my mock outrage at Master Ridgus' admission of a gap in his knowledge of the Wars of the Three Kingdoms. Having just put the recycling out for collection I'm recycling the clue that caused it.

Pete.

So is this a chap who shares a name with a Colonel in the Parliamentary forces who isn't Pride?

David

Quite so, he had a solid Great War but came to prominence when loaned out after it.

Pete.

I did wonder about Max Horton (there is some resemblance to earlier pictures) but don't really think he matches the clue

Not Max, but correct service. There is a link from the name he shares with the Civil War colonel to HMS Victory. But not the famous one.

Pete.

P.S. Max Horton along with Johnnie Walker has an office building named after him in downtown Liverpool. Part of the complex is the refurbished headquarters of RN Western Approaches. It's called Western Approaches by coincidence. As with so many visitor attractions in my home city I have failed to visit it.

11 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Not Max, but correct service. There is a link from the name he shares with the Civil War colonel to HMS Victory. But not the famous one.

Pete.

P.S. Max Horton along with Johnnie Walker has an office building named after him in downtown Liverpool. Part of the complex is the refurbished headquarters of RN Western Approaches. It's called Western Approaches by coincidence. As with so many visitor attractions in my home city I have failed to visit it.

I watched an interesting documentary of the building. The rediscovery of the Western Approaches HQ was almost accidental, and comparatively recent, its survival a happy accident of the way it had been reinforced to safeguard it during the war. The enthusiast who renovated it and opened it up was a real star. 

Edited by David Ridgus

Okay, now for once we are playing to my strengths (I hope). Am I right in thinking the key name here is Norris?

Colonel Norris of Speke was in charge of Liverpool during the Civil War, and I'm sure you've told me about him before, hence your justifiable annoyance at my Pride fixated knowledge of Colonels.

What I did know was that the first captain of the ill-fated predecessor of Nelson's Victory was Sir John Norris.

What I didn't know, but the extensive library revealed was that General Walter Congreve VC's middle name was Norris

David

Edited by David Ridgus

7 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Okay, now for once we are playing to my strengths (I hope). Am I right in thinking the key name here is Norris?

I am pleased that I am pitching my clues where you can 'free your arms' and smite them over the distant metaphorical boundary. With regard to Norris I'm afraid I must refer the honourable gentleman to my favourite Murray Walker quote but the deduction is superbly wrong. The general area during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms is correct but it's the other side.

Oily rags, Sarf Lahndahn and a certain cricketing nation are involved, as are German commerce raiders and a sight that made many a matelot swoon between the wars......

Pete.

P.S. I don't remember us Spekeing (sic) about Norris because I can't remember him myself. Every day is a skool day. His old gaff is a top outdoor venue for Shakespeare incidentally.

Well there you go. Very much my Watson looking at the walking stick in the Hound of the Baskevilles moment. And like Sherlock Holmes and the good friend that you are, you let me down lightly rather than dismissively swatting my mix of hubris and incompetence. Now tomorrow is a school day for me, and a very full one, so I shall leave the field to our more knowledgable colleagues and check in for results tomorrow evening

David