Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

When I say he served under both sides, I mean that literally. 

Under as in “Unter”?

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

Under as in “Unter”?

Yes. "Overlooked", or if you like, unseen. 

Just now, Knotty said:

Fed up with the broadcast now so back to WIT, a submariner?

Yes indeed, and as I hinted at, commander of a one of a kind. 

That means going back nearly a couple of years to check on the last time we had u-boat commanders😂😂 Give me strength, got to balance WIT with Strictly now (SWMBO favourite). 

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

That means going back nearly a couple of years to check on the last time we had u-boat commanders😂😂 Give me strength, got to balance WIT with Strictly now (SWMBO favourite). 

No need to go back any further the 13th post on the previous page for a very strong hint.

In 1915 he thought he had sunk HMS Tiger, but in fact it was a British ocean liner that had been disguised as a battle cruiser. 

Little worried about this-  I think our man (if it is he) had given up a particular command  on 15 May 1916

Well just remember, this has all been your fault!

You have him by the way.😊

As will be seen, Bulgaria only had one WW1 submarine,  and because I couldn't find a picture of either of the two Bulgarians who captained it I had to plump for the Jerry who had commanded it before it was handed over to the Bulgarians; one Ernst von Voigt.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM_UB-8

The same source for our man lists him at another  point as being in command at the right date.   :wub:

But others can follow-  Perhaps an obscure clue or two?

1)  This might turn into a convolution of a Lorentzian and. Gaussian profile  (No,I don't know either)

2) Or shall we have to send for a bailiff?

NF-Well researched-I couldn't find a picture of the chap-where did you find him?

Too late-You have blown his cover!

By the way-  convolution of a Lorentzian and. Gaussian profile =Voigt Profile

Voigt- an old German name for a bailiff.

Phew-I think that exhausts our stock of Bulgarian submarine commanders. I wonder if the Idrisid of Asir (see a previous WIT) had any submarines...................

I found his picture by googling images for him and this came up:

Screenshot_20201031-223448_Google.jpg.5e9a866f27bd70cc7b2277e5c9fe3141.jpg

However, when clicking on the link underneath the picture it led to a site with no picture?

https://uboat.net/wwi/men/commanders/378.html

Well researched-   Time for a bit of R and R?   And well away from the Balkans!

This chap:

image.png.a3b21c30ed68fc57e9bcb848ca388672.png

I suppose you want a clue as well?  Et voila!      (Definitely NOT the Grenadier Guards)

image.png.85671f10e6454a73b3af6cfb3e0792e4.png

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

Sorry to rain on your parade NF, but if you follow this link you will get the picture you gave us initially 

https://uboat.net/wwi/men/commanders/389.html

unfortunately not your man Voight but Erwin Wassner

Oh dear; mea culpa. I took the description on the link that I originally found as gospel unfortunately. 

Interestingly, have just committed the unforgivable and done an image search on my picture, and that comes up with Luth Wolfgang 🤪

I'm sure that you're perfectly correct in what you say John, but I can't check, as your link is giving me this:

Screenshot_20201101-093017_Chrome.jpg.d3d29025b9b45c98bcbca2795542df7b.jpg

Oh well, the clues did their job despite the picture being wrong I suppose. I'll try to be more careful next time. 

Well researched-   Time for a bit of R and R?   And well away from the Balkans!

This chap:

image.png.a3b21c30ed68fc57e9bcb848ca388672.png

I suppose you want a clue as well?  Et voila!      (Definitely NOT the Grenadier Guards)

image.png.85671f10e6454a73b3af6cfb3e0792e4.png

Can't find a private Shaka, or Islandwhana. I suppose Rorke might be a possibility.

Is it safe to assume he's South African then? 

That would narrow it down slightly. 

No-  It is not safe to assume he is from the Dominion of South Africa.  The Non-Grenadier Guards are not Zulus  (Come on-pretty obvious-where is Michael Caine?).   But you are on the right continent.  

You want another clue?    He performed well with Bristols   (Be careful how you interpret that one :wub:)

Oh- why not?  lets chuck in another clue to make it ridiculously simple:

image.png.092990d70759000b6ed622a0fc6754ae.png

Edited by Guest

Is this him Leonard Allan Payne MC?  of the RFC, who was born in Swaziland, and became an fighter ace flying in the Bristol F2 two-seater fighter at the later end of the war.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_A._Payne. No picture so can’t verify if that is him.

The ruby red grapefruit is the name given to a cocktail of perfumery essences described by a former church minister in his book on Perfumes his name again, Leonard Payne.

Ah. Well done John.

I was thrown off the scent by being told he wasn't a South African. 

20201101_154011.jpg.826c1dc40879891fd4c91ca9319b36ce.jpg

Edited by neverforget

Yippee- Yes, Knotty, thats him- Pic. came from Findagrave.com, with thanks.   Born in Eswatini  (Swaziland to you and me-and him)- an "ace" with 11 victories, with 48 Squadron-all in Bristol fighters, hence the clue.  Killed in an accident in February 1919.  The picture was of Swazi tribsesmen and the Swazi king but we are so used to "Zulu"  (Not likely to be on this Christmas, given the events of this year)  that we assume all native Africans are Zulu. 

NF-   I thought you would pick up on the fact that I was careful to say "Not Dominion of South Africa" and realise it was southern Africa and one of the other bits and pieces we used to squat down that way.  Pay attention to detail!!

Knotty- You overdid the research with the other "Leonard Payne"- an outstanding coincidence and piece of tunneling by you. Alas, it was more simple than that  - Tesco Ruby Red Grapefruit (Which I happen to like a lot) is grown in Swaziland (It's still Swaziland on their website)

You overdid the research with the other "Leonard Payne"- an outstanding coincidence and piece of tunneling by you. Alas, it was more simple than that  - Tesco Ruby Red Grapefruit (Which I happen to like a lot) is grown in Swaziland (It's still Swaziland on their website)

In the words of Blackadder.....B*gg*r