Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

I know the man but can't work out the clues which just takes the biscuit.........

24 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Hmm....

I wonder if this one has wings.

It's not Cyril Lowe is it?

Not Cyril NF. Pete's hidden clue should help you in the hunt

I didn't know Leslie Howard and Ronnie Poulton played the trombone. You learn something every day. 

GH

Well Poulton was so ridiculously talented that it's perfectly possible in his case.

And of course you have correctly identified Ronald Poulton Palmer from his picture GH

A clue to the link is - conspiracy theories

25 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

A clue to the link is - conspiracy theories

How interesting. I take it you will be enlightening us on this in the fullness of time? In the meantime proof, if anymore were needed that I shouldn't be operating machinery (in this case a Canon compact). The headstone is not made out of icing sugar as it appears, that is operator error.......

18093064_PoultonPalmer.JPG.5e0728712d01e1b0c654038102cfb725.JPG

This is how it should look thanks to a major of our acquaintance and a small bear. The photo is properly focused, exposed and the trademark low angle brings out all the patina of the stone properly.

https://gwfattachments.s3.amazonaws.com/monthly_2020_03/1946325716_CraterSmurf01JUN14021.JPG.1945d924cd667a1ec0e51cbee7824f38.JPG

And I've just noticed that that was my 4,000th post. I have a feeling I passed the milestone before the last upgrade, and as probably 3,900 of the usually risible entries are on WiT? I think it is a matter for shame rather than celebration.......

Pete.

Well done Pete. 

The forum is a much richer place for your priceless contributions.

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well done Pete. 

The forum is a much richer place for your priceless contributions.

Thank you Mr P. The interaction on this thread with yourself and the other inmates has been a enduring source of joy and laughter, especially in these dark times. We've had a right laugh despite the subject being serious, and every day has been a skool day. As to my contributions I think we should leave out the photographic ones, as my 3,999th so clearly demonstrates.

Pete.

I think there might be one or two of us familiar with your photographs thread who might beg to differ Mr. Owls.

Blast!!  Foiled again-  Failed to spot the trombone allusion and was sidetracked by those who were killed in air crashes,as were Leslie Howard and Glenn Miller (possible a friendly fire incident,I think).  The best I could come up with was Carol Lombard, the actress........  though her First World War record looked a bit thin even for GWF. 

Well done chaps.

Ronnie Poulton Palmer's last words are justifiably famous-"I'll never play at Twickenham again". Still very poignant-as are the photographs of the last Varsity matches before the war and how many of them were killed.

Right...back to Bulgarian submarine commanders of the Great War-to get my own back. At least I have discovered that the Bulgarians actually did have a submarine!!

1 minute ago, voltaire60 said:

At least I have discovered that the Bulgarians actually did have a submarine!!

When it is safe to do so I think we all need to get out more.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

When it is safe to do so I think we all need to get out more.

..............  But I will be able to do some cracking WITs  from the records I will be able to access when admitted to Broadmoor :wub:

Now, as it is Black History Month,  let's try this chap.  I hope he has not been up before:

image.png.639682487d0c01a01aff62f899fccd87.png

You want an oblique clue as well?

1)  Absolutely certain that this man was never a commander of any Bulgarian submarine during the war.

2)  There is a connection with a winner of the MC with the first name Herman............    (This is my "On the Buses" moment. Trombones?  I'll get you Butler..........)

image.png.a1959837779021a0f4a86d5c6c82ca87.png

And as it has stopped raining where I am for the first time since Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee (or that's how it feels), then an EXTRA clue- Oh, you lot are just SO spoiled.

3)  Our man has a connection with the previous WIT, Ronnie Poulton Palmer.............

Edited by Guest

Blimey you lot are even more tangental than when I was last here. Oh and congrats Pete I am indeed fortunate to have the pleasure of you and your responsible adult’s company elsewhere on the inter web as well as here.

Meanwhile briefly back to Ronald Poulton. The link with Howard and Miller is that like them his death was the subject of a conspiracy theory that his death was not random but that he had been specifically targeted by the Germans because of the perceived propaganda value of the death of such a famous and beloved man. 

In fact, as I’m sure you inmates all know, his end was the entirely prosaic one of being sniped while leading a working party

David

9 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Blimey you lot are even more tangental than when I was last here

Come on David- be fair.  Where you are,it is pretty much impossible to avoid Ronnie Poulton Palmer.  Half of Reading is a clue!!!!!

image.png.41a609025638db2fb281f124dd52c511.png

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Blimey you lot are even more tangental than when I was last here.

And your point is?

So the trombone angle was a Kopite member of the Culpeidae family of oily fish? I need a sense of humour; does anyone know where I can download one?

Pete.

P.S. My responsible grown up and I are fortunate to have you as an interlocutor too Mr R.

Ronnie Poulton Palmer's grave marker is to be found fixed against one of the walls of Holywell cemetery, Oxford, place occupied by many significant Oxford chaps, including Sir Edward Poulton, father of the above mentioned; Kenneth Grahame, Walter Pater, T J Binyon and Kenneth Tynan. The last time I visited during an interval from research in the archives of Balliol College in the adjacent St Cross Church, the churchyard also had living residents, a small group of homeless individuals, although one had a stack of books visible beneath his/her shelter to maintain the standards of the cemetery.

32 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

the churchyard also had living residents, a small group of homeless individuals, although one had a stack of books visible beneath his/her shelter to maintain the standards of the cemetery.

......... Of what was he Regius Professor in the University of Oxford?  :wub:

He was absent from his shelter at the time. probably in Duke Humphrey's reading the Beano. This was pre lockdown.

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

Come on David- be fair.  Where you are,it is pretty much impossible to avoid Ronnie Poulton Palmer.  Half of Reading is a clue!!!!!

image.png.41a609025638db2fb281f124dd52c511.png

I only wish that were true. In fact you have to be my generation to remember the vista portrayed above, which is now two retail parks and a series of blocks of flats. Palmer Park remains but it’s link to the firm would, I suspect, elude most of those who use it. Most young people have not a clue about the town’s light industrial past, and all my students are genuinely astonished when I show them how important H&P were - especially with regards to using tins. Reading is a thriving town but not big on its heritage.

11 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

He was absent from his shelter at the time. probably in Duke Humphrey's reading the Beano. This was pre lockdown.

Splendid chap!   Thank God the deposit libraries such as Bodley preserve our intellectual heritage-  This from SOLO-Oxford's online catalogue:

Title
The Beano.
Variant Title
Other Title: Beano comic
Publisher Details
London : D.C. Thomson
Publication Date
1938-
Format
v. : ill. ; 30 cm
Language
English
Identifier
ISSN: 0262-2467
Aleph System Number
Type
Journal
Miscellaneous Notes

General Note: Description based on: No. 1537 (1 Jan. 1972)

image.png.c7084e626e5b94128997b74dd4003e14.png

Although WIT inmates will identify this chap pretty readily, up until 5 years ago I suspect you would have struggled to find many in his hometown who could do so

David 

As a Berkshire man born and bred, am I having a potted history lesson🤣, I believe it is the Victoria Cross now.😳

Nice to see you back on WIT Mr R.

Interesting man and a lifesaving hero twice over. Although he may be a mystery to many modern inhabitants of the settlement of Raeder's tribe I'll wager that he was a household name in a household in the Tilehurst area. It's a proper name for a local hero too.

Pete.

P.S. The representation of the factory on the tin looks almost northern. You could imagine the workforce in clogs and keeping whippets......

Edited by Fattyowls

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

As a Berkshire man born and bred, am I having a potted history lesson🤣, I believe it is the Victoria Cross now.😳

Nice to see you back on WIT Mr R.

Thank you Knotty, and of course you have identified Trooper Potts, 'The VC with the shovel', who was largely forgotten in the town until quite recently. Now though thanks to the tireless efforts of his family we have an excellent memorial, and a road named after him. For a short while there was also an abysmal looking modern pub named after him (which you are alluding to, I'm sure) which has fortunately been renamed 'The Victoria Cross'

image.png.ced5f3406723c19ef45b91d42dcf5644.pngimage.png.f07a9464e5382cc2f7bc24d19629ce83.png