Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Hi UG

Long time no post😁. I have blown your chap up to have a better look,and would I be correct in saying that he is not wearing a uniform of the Central Powers ?

9 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG

Long time no post😁. I have blown your chap up to have a better look,and would I be correct in saying that he is not wearing a uniform of the Central Powers ?

Yes. Yes you would.

Would this chap's nephew-killed in WW2- be commemorated at Balliol, Oxford?

My honest answer is, I don’t know. My chap had a fairly well known uncle.

12 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG

The uniform looks like that of the Civil Service, also worn by Privy Councillors, so was he either a government minister or a senior civil servant?

Ron

28 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

The uniform looks like that of the Civil Service, also worn by Privy Councillors, so was he either a government minister or a senior civil servant?

Ron

He was PC, yes; an MP, a soldier, a civil servant, and, which I think is of more relevance, a lawyer. Here’s his uncropped photo:

E48BA217-F3C7-429F-9649-27B347AF3F93.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George

I have no clue and am going to let you guys guess. Am in the middle of a joint exercice with the Dutch ... over skype... it's even more confusing than this!! 

I'd much rather think about finding more subtle ways to make Pete think about the Ypres Waffles... actually hoping to get some end of this month... depends on the COVID situation... 

M.

Makes him the second privy counsellor from Cologne, then....

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I'd much rather think about finding more subtle ways to make Pete think about the Ypres Waffles... actually hoping to get some end of this month... depends on the COVID situation...

Don't take any risks, I don't need any prompting to think about waffles from the waffle shop opposite the Cloth Hall. And subtlety is wasted on me, just post a picture of yourself with a waffle and I'll become tearful.....

2 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Makes him the second privy counsellor from Cologne, then....

I have no clue either, but it's a really good one either way.

Pete.

The eagle-eyed amongst us will have noted his medals. His MIC tells us that he served with a Battalion of the London Regiment, and that, as a Captain, he applied for the 1914-15 Star in January 1919. However, regrettably, these are very poor clues.

11 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

However, regrettably, these are very poor clues.

Au contraire UG. For those inmates who are on the ball it will advance the search. It's just those of us who can't get the idea of freshly cooked waffles out of their heads who will struggle.  It's a great comeback either way, and I am looking forward to the conclusion without being able to advance the quest towards it.

Pete.

Pete,  I thankfully cracked this one before the waffles hoved into view. This chap is too good to unvail straight away.   Lead on, UG.

27 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Au contraire UG. For those inmates who are on the ball it will advance the search. It's just those of us who can't get the idea of freshly cooked waffles out of their heads who will struggle.  It's a great comeback either way, and I am looking forward to the conclusion without being able to advance the quest towards it.

Pete.

No, take it from me Pete, these are very poor clues. A clue more to your taste, perhaps: my chap’s analogue is a frankfurter.

Edited by Uncle George
apostrophe

39 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

my chap’s analogue is a frankfurter

Can I just say that that could be the coolest clue that has ever appeared in these pages. Unfortunately I like a frankfurter every now and then so that will just distract me with more thoughts about food. Or more songs about buildings and food (that might appeal to NF over in the top choons thread).

48 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Pete,  I thankfully cracked this one before the waffles hoved into view. This chap is too good to unvail straight away.   Lead on, UG.

I'm impressed that the major has managed to find a new perspective on the long running 'Pete missed out on the waffles last time he was in the Grote Markt' joke cycle. It's only been five years......

Pete.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

... my chap’s analogue is a frankfurter.

13 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Can I just say that that could be the coolest clue that has ever appeared in these pages. Unfortunately I like a frankfurter ...

This frankfurter was, in fact, a wiener.

(I’m wasted here, I really am.)

28 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

(I’m wasted here, I really am.)

I can't remember who said it (Frankie Howerd springs to mind), but there was a line which went "I said 'I'm wasted on you lot; to which the reply was 'you should go and waste yourself on somebody else'". Oh suit yourselves.......

Funnily enough I did think of wieners, but less in the context of the identification of your chap and more in terms of something to eat which can be held in a bread roll.....

Pete.

Ok as SWMBO claims that I have “wasted”😁 to many hours on this I’m going to have a punt on him, I have gone through the history of all names in Wiki from 1901 who have been elected to the U.K. Privy Council. I have one name who was elected to the PC on June 8th 1937, he was born in Cologne to a Jewish family and meets the criteria that you set, including serving in the 19th Battalion London Regiment and he is the Right Honourable Sir Felix Maximilian Schoenbrunn Cassel, alas no photo image to check.

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Cassel)

I'm loving this one even if I haven't got a clue, unless of course it's old man Johnson from the amusement arcade who would have gotten away with it too if it hadn't been for those pesky kids.....

Actually that's not true (the haven't got a clue bit rather than it being a Scooby Doo ending). I've got Felix as one of the cats if your man is correct, but I'm struggling for the other one. And Maximillian being the name of at least one Holy Roman Emperor might be the Vienna bit. Or not.

Pete.

10 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I have no clue and am going to let you guys guess. Am in the middle of a joint exercice with the Dutch ... over skype... it's even more confusing than this!! 

M.

Please do let us have an update on the Waffle Shop if you manage to get there Marilyne.

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Ok as SWMBO claims that I have “wasted”😁 to many hours on this I’m going to have a punt on him, I have gone through the history of all names in Wiki from 1901 who have been elected to the U.K. Privy Council. I have one name who was elected to the PC on June 8th 1937, he was born in Cologne to a Jewish family and meets the criteria that you set, including serving in the 19th Battalion London Regiment and he is the Right Honourable Sir Felix Maximilian Schoenbrunn Cassel, alas no photo image to check.

(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Cassel)

Yes - Sir Felix Cassel, Judge Advocate-General from 1915 and therefore responsible for the administration and prosecution of courts martial. 

A further point for his analogous feline sausage, whose photograph is attached.

0D120C5F-263E-4180-BF6B-E0471F45B423.jpeg