The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Saudi Arabia? 

Fadhl ibn Ali al Abdali?

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Fadhl ibn Ali al Abdali

Oh God, not another anagram!! Alas, no  -  but the Geiger Counter is beginning to whirr-You are getting closer. Right side of the Red Sea this time. Think  bingo and to use the navigational term from "The Navy Lark"-  Right hand down a bit

Looks a bit like Anthony Quinn, sorry Auda abu Tayeh.

Pete.

Or Tayi in some sources.

11 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Anthony Quinn ...

Zorba the French Parachute officer. (Barry Norman’s assessment of his acting talent in ‘Lost Command’.

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Zorba the French Parachute officer. (Barry Norman’s assessment of his acting talent in ‘Lost Command’.

Concentrate on the bingo

Sayyid Muhammad ibn Ali al-Idrisi?

He founded and ruled the Idrisid Emirate of Asir.

Took me all night, but I found him after looking here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Arabia_during_World_War_I

That said, it was still a shot in the dark as there was no image of him. 

17 hours ago, Uncle George said:

One thinks of Gray's Energy in the country churchyard (at Stoke Penge).

The more erudite amongst us will have recognised this reference. And will therefore be able to identify who these two may be:

FA9A0727-605F-4FDC-A6FB-A52E903C0115.jpeg

4FE3DDF1-89A8-4D2B-BE83-16940DE64B57.jpeg

Image from therutlandbookshop.com

Edited by Uncle George

That counts me out then. 🤔

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That counts me out then. 🤔

“Gladstone spent his declining years trying to guess the answer to the Irish Question; unfortunately, whenever he was getting warm, the Irish secretly changed the Question, so that as he grew older and older Gladstone became angrier and angrier, and grander and grander, and was ultimately awarded the affectionate title of `the G.P.O.' “

Now I'm truly lost.

Perhaps I've over exhausted my thought process in Mr. V's last one.🤪 

27 minutes ago, neverforget said:

That said, it was still a shot in the dark as there was no image of him. 

There is-under Idrisid of Asir.

The headdress and the clue "It aint half hot Mum" should have directed you to a hot clime- the headdress,it must be said, is rather uncommon in the British Antarctic Territory

Alas, there were more Arab revolts than I realised and you lot opted for two of them in North Africa-Thus, you had to be steered to Arabia but anything to do with Lawrence of Arabia has to be obtuse because you lot know him too well.  T.E.Lawrences first published writings were on parish churches around Oxford while he was still a boy-published in reports of the Ashmolean Museum.  The "Mountbatten" clue  was to see if Uncle George was  awake-it was not the odious Admiral of that name but the place-wot where Lawrence served in the RAF as "Ross". Lawrence,of course, worked for the Arab Bureau, which closely monitored Asir 

That should have pointed you to Arabia.   "Bingo" meant "Find Mecca"- "Right hand down a bit" is because Asir is south of Mecca and north of present day Yemen.

It is a reminder that Arabia was not all Saud territory.  Asir rebelled against Ottoman rule and established a separate Idrisate under Our Man-who formally signed on with the Allies, so Asir became officially one of the "Allied and Associated Powers", though I doubt Kaiser Bill lost much sleep with worry over that one. 

The reference  to gibberish about Gladstone and the 2 cartoons leads me to suggest that our two chaps are

1) Walter Charles Sellar, late 2nd Lieutenant, The King's Own Scottish Borderers

2) Robert Julian Yeatman,MC, late 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Field Artillery

11 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

The reference  to gibberish about Gladstone and the 2 cartoons leads me to suggest that our two chaps are

1) Walter Charles Sellar, late 2nd Lieutenant, The King's Own Scottish Borderers

2) Robert Julian Yeatman,MC, late 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Field Artillery

Yes, Sellar and Yeatman. They met after the First war, in which they had both been wounded (Yeatman seriously, apparently). Quotes from ‘1066 And All That’.

“After losing this war Napoleon was sent away by the French, since he had not succeeded in making them top nation; but he soon escaped and returned just in time to fight on the French side at the battle of Waterloo. “

Genius.

Edited by Uncle George

Following Sellar and Yeatman (here they are on the Great War:

The War lasted three years or the duration, the Americans being 100% victorious. At the beginning the Russians rendered great assistance to the American cause by lending their memorable steam-roller and by passing silently through England one Sunday morning before breakfast with snow on their boots. The Americans were also assisted by the Australians (AZTECS) and some Canadians, and 51 Highlanders.)

who is this chap? His writing on the war could be said to contain satire. It has also been described as evocative and perceptive. Let us not forget toilet-humour:

996D5995-0ED1-4796-B14E-646BBBFDA062.jpeg

Here's a few more quotes:

The Great WarKing

Edward’s new policy of peace was very successful and culminated in the Great War to End War. This pacific and inevitable struggle was undertaken in the reign of His Good and memorable Majesty King George V and it was the cause of nowadays and the end of History.

Causes of the Great War

The Great War was between Germany and America and was thus fought in Belgium, one of the chief causes being the murder of the Austrian Duke of Sarajevo by a murderer in Servia.

The Peace to End Peace

Though there were several battles in the War, none were so terrible or costly as the Peace which was signed afterwards in the ever-memorable Chamber of Horrors at Versailles, and which was caused by the only memorable American statesmen, President Wilson and Col. White House, who insisted on a lot of Points, including

That England should be allowed to pay for the War: this was a Good Thing because it strengthened British (and even American) credit;

that the world should be made safe for democracy i.e. anyone except pillion-riders, pedestrians, foreigners, natives, capitalists, communists, Jews, riffs, R.A.F.S., gun-men, policemen, peasants, pheasants, Chinese, etc.;

that there should be a great many more countries: this was a Bad Thing as it was the cause of increased geography;

the Freedom of the Seas: this was a Good Thing as it did not apply to Britain or America (or Switzerland);

that the Kaiser should be hanged: this was a Good Thing as it was abandoned, together with Mr. Lloyd George, the Irish Question, etc.

Good stuff. Much more enjoyable than plodding through Albertini ""Origins of the War of 1914" or Gooch and Temperley "British Documents on the Origins of the War" which I had to do at university.  

The latest who-is-it -Hmm, given the current vogue for humour and satire would suggest A.P.Herbert but I believe he spent the war with the Grey Funnel Line and writing cheques on the side of cows, etc. Thus, a completely unresearched guess at the cove (in Blackadder terms, the rubber-desk-johnny) who ran the "Wipers Times "  Although he does not look a bit like a young Ian Hislop....

Edited by Guest

29 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

The latest who-is-it -Hmm, given the current vogue for humour and satire would suggest A.P.Herbert but I believe he spent the war with the Grey Funnel Line and writing cheques on the side of cows, etc. Thus, a completely unresearched guess at the cove (in Blackadder terms, the rubber-desk-johnny) who ran the "Wipers Times "  Although he does not look a bit like a young Ian Hislop....

Neither of those. (You will remember WSC’s observation about Sir Alfred Bossom: Neither one thing nor the other.) 

No. My chap served in the ranks with the Connaught Rangers, before obtaining a commission in the Leinsters.

40 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

... he does not look a bit like a young Ian Hislop....

He reminds me of David Haig.

“Time waits for no man as the proverb goes, and what I say is, in CID crime waits for no man. So, with that in mind, I shall cut the bovine faeces altogether. This is CID work, and in CID, we dispense with niceties, we avoid irrelevance, disregard herrings, red or otherwise, and above all, we do not fanny about!”

11 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He reminds me of David Haig.

“Time waits for no man as the proverb goes, and what I say is, in CID crime waits for no man. So, with that in mind, I shall cut the bovine faeces altogether. This is CID work, and in CID, we dispense with niceties, we avoid irrelevance, disregard herrings, red or otherwise, and above all, we do not fanny about!”

Oh No-  It looks like the late, great Fulton Mackay but the prison officer uniform details don't quite match......

(By the way UG-I bought my copy of Sellar and Yeatman nearly 50 years back from Mr. Clement's bookshop in Southside Street on the Barbican-remember that?)

33 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

(By the way UG-I bought my copy of Sellar and Yeatman nearly 50 years back from Mr. Clement's bookshop in Southside Street on the Barbican-remember that?)

A few years before my time, alas. My bookshop was ‘Universal Book Stores’ in Frankfort Gate. Here’s one that I bought, oh, 45 years ago. UBS had a great scheme whereby you could buy a book, read it, then sell it back to them at half the purchase price. Or not as the case may have been.

12AC4B8B-EDBE-4140-95B6-4CEA7F5E61E0.jpeg

ECB2B907-AE19-4F17-9497-F54D6953B4E8.jpeg

Edited by Uncle George