Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Right chaps-Out of the line, time for a bit of R &R - an easy one but might fool the odd one of you out there:

Oh, you want a clue as well.....  Tut, some people.......    OK- This man was involved in a long-running spat with a holder of the Blue Max

image.png.89ff55601e8bc0e1af647f82147fd2b9.png

That is Montgomery Clift, playing a man who was wounded at Meteren......

47 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

That is Montgomery Clift, playing a man who was wounded at Meteren......

Close. I must say your avatar does look a little bit like our man- Perhaps I was just testing if you were awake out there!!    Yes-and the Blue Max reference should be explained as well.

But let us without further ado get on to Part II  of this little WIT:    Who is this and what was his connection with "Montgomery Clift"?

PS For the sake of clarity, I should emphasize that the chap below was NOT a holder of the Blue Max

odnb-9780198614128-e-1012650-graphic-1-full.jpg

Edited by Guest

On 21/10/2020 at 21:44, Fattyowls said:

That is Montgomery Clift

Close

Remove the Clift😁

Part 2 = Bernard Alexander Montgomery Grant, more familiar as Bernie Grant MP for Tottenham

And now Goodnight all.

6 hours ago, Knotty said:

Part 2 = Bernard Alexander Montgomery Grant, more familiar as Bernie Grant MP for Tottenham

And now Goodnight all.

Well done Knotty-  The late Bernie Grant, MP for Tottenham was named after the Field Marshal.  They also shared the same nickname-  To his friends, Bernie Grant was  known  as "Monty"

Right then,,,,,,,,,  Back to researching Bulgarian submarine commanders of the Great War for a meaty WIT......

It has been written of ‘Jumbo’ Wilson that he, “was surprisingly lacking in panache. He seemed to make very little attempt to put himself across to the general public. Instead he simply got in with the series of formidable jobs assigned to him.” 

Anyway, who is this ? ? ?

F6A789FC-F178-4065-AB39-A89D0F7DB86A.jpeg

EDIT: image from here https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205289586

Edited by Uncle George

I am hopeless on cap badges- be it a regiment or the local Electricity Meter Reader or Bus Driver.

I am tempted to ask if the man might have trained as a doctor before the war?

I am tempted to ask if the man might have trained as a doctor before the war?

Er, no. Another quote from that biographical sketch of Wilson: “What can we make of this great wartime commander whom history has largely passed by?”

I wonder if the wartime leader hint might point to Sir William Montgomerie Thomson?

51 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Er, no. Another quote from that biographical sketch of Wilson: “What can we make of this great wartime commander whom history has largely passed by?”

Blast- Thought it might be a young Philip Christison-wrong regiment

Seaforth?

Kenneth Anderson???

On 26/10/2020 at 19:25, neverforget said:

I wonder if the wartime leader hint might point to Sir William Montgomerie Thomson?

Sorry, no.

Kenneth Anderson???

Yes indeed; the commander of the First Army during Operation Torch and thereafter. Here’s Eisenhower’s assessment of him:

...a gallant Scot, devoted to duty and absolutely selfless. Honest and straightforward, he was blunt, at times to the point of rudeness, and this trait, curiously enough, seemed to bring him into conflict with his British confreres more than it did with Americans. His real difficulty was shyness. He was not a popular type, but I had a real respect for his fighting heart. Even his most severe critic must find it difficult to discount the smashing victory he finally attained in Tunisia.

Image from IWM. The Wilson quotes are from a sketch by Michael Dewar in ‘Churchill’s Generals’ (1991). The Eisenhower quote I found on Wikipedia.

And a salutary reminder that those who get the laurels and the fame of History might not be those who deserve such a big dollop of them.

Indeed. His Wiki page seems to lean heavily on Gregory Blaxland’s ‘The Plain Cook and the Great Showman: The First and Eighth Armies in North Africa’ (1977); and it quotes Blaxland directly: Anderson’s 1959 death "caused little stir. He was one of nature's losers in the contest for fame".

In honour of the thread statto and stalwart making a rare but welcome foray into the forum try this one for size. The owner of this fine 'tache is in two places at once, or he was the last time I checked.....

image.png.d003d9f52b6089eec3701f537ca12c6c.png

Pete.

Welcome back Mr Ridgus. 👍

Thanks NF. As always its lovely to check back in on my favourite thread and see it still thriving

David

PS And as normal I haven't a clue who Pete's latest picture is!

That tash looks remarkably familiar. I've been racking my brains. I think it might be Captain Fergus Bowes Lyon.

20201027_224534.jpg.6f08768480a4fca6d1c78e43eac1bc51.jpg

Edited by neverforget

Who is both on the Loos memorial and has a grave marker,  hence Pete's cryptic clue. As astute as ever Mr Plumb

I recognised the features as soon as he posted it but for the life of me couldn't think who it was until just. 

At least it won't keep me awake now.

Edited by neverforget

I'm glad I'm not the cause of insonminya insunmnia innsomia sleeplessness in the greater Birmingham metro area. Fergus Bowes-Lyon it is, originally named on the Loos Memorial at Dud Corner but subsequently given a special memorial at Quarry cemetery just to the north. Had NF not been the fastest gun south of the Rea* I was going to use hewed stone and faulty ordnance as clues. Good to have the band back together too.

Pete.

*other West Midlands water courses are available.

7961594_FergusBowes-Lyon.JPG.0910bf92d80495a5f66dcdbab51252be.JPG

Edited by Fattyowls

image.png.c832dca5fe446c1a2809c908d7cc6d9f.png

Strangely enough this handsome chap could be bracketed with Leslie Howard and Glen Miller. 

Hmm....

I wonder if this one has wings.

It's not Cyril Lowe is it?