Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

Sorry. Have tried every version of Palmer, Brothers, William I can think of (I'd forgotten just how stressy and frustrating this thread is). Giving up now but did find this chap on my travels

image.png.2047d0c5a231e606d3ac04d4db27534d.png

He is Frederick Palmer VC

I will get the other one out of the way so Knotty can have a good night's rest and  David  will not be scared off. The WIT was William Stephen Palmer Tull, the older brother of Walter Tull.  Also a war casualty-the snippet below from a Dover newspaper is about all that is known about him.

To explain the clues:

1)  Herman with an MC should lead to the ID of Herman McNeile,MC-  who wrote under the pseudonym of Sapper. I hoped this would lead one to search for a  "Sapper" as in Royal Engineer.   The picture of a Bulldog Drummond dustjacket seems to have confused rather than helped

2) "Palmer"-    a link to Ronnie Poulton  Palmer

"Palmer"-the picture of Michael Caine should have led to Harry PALMER

3)  The picture of  Gene Wilder  was taken not from "Young Frankenstein (Surely Fronk-en-steeen?) but from "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Smarter Brother"- reinforced by a picture  of the Marx Brothers  should have led you lot  to looking for someone famous-and their brother. There are not many

4) As Knotty got so,so,so close-   on the goalline but still missed (at this point Uncle George and I  would have happy memories of the following words being added-"as did Plymouth Argyle's centre forward yet again")   - Thus, a last picture of Just William- a strong hint that you should be looking for someone with the first name William

5) The reference with a "U" in it was not to U-Boat history- its is his CWGC grave reference location in Folkestone

Worked out a lot harder than I thought it might be......   Bulgarian submarine commanders next time. You have been warned :wub:

image.png.a0dbfc07208b555048f170ece4be2fa9.png

31 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He is Frederick Palmer VC

He is indeed UG. And what an extraordinary chap. To have won a VC in the infantry in the Great War and then go on to fight in the Battle of Britain in the Second World War and wind up a Wing Commander. 

Do you think we are all Palmered out for the moment?

David

38 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Worked out a lot harder than I thought it might be...... 

I was starting to believe that the deluge of clues was a fiendish subterfuge to confuse. I was beginning to picture you with a white cat saying "Welcome to my fiendishly difficult WW1 photo identification thread - MR BOND!". I'm going to try it (the deluge of clues bit rather than being a Bond villain).

28 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

possibly not

Unless I am very much mistaken (as Murray Walker would say) that is a still from The Great War, and I can remember the guy's voice. Can't remember his name but it's the thought that counts.......

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Unless I am very much mistaken (as Murray Walker would say) that is a still from The Great War, and I can remember the guy's voice. Can't remember his name but it's the thought that counts.......

Me too Pete. I seem to remember him saying that he had reached his lowest ebb, and thought about chucking his leg under a wagon or something. 

Very well remembered NF. He is John Palmer, an artillery signaller who went through the retreat from Mons, fought at Loos and was wounded fixing signal wires at Passchendaele. The interview he gave in the early sixties is available on I-Player here. It is absolutely staggering - he is completely matter of fact which gives his testimony even greater power.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

45 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I was starting to believe that the deluge of clues was a fiendish subterfuge to confuse. I was beginning to picture you with a white cat saying "Welcome to my fiendishly difficult WW1 photo identification thread - MR BOND!". I'm going to try it (the deluge of clues bit rather than being a Bond villain).

It put me more in mind of Ted ‘321’ Rogers. The more his clues were explained, the less I understood them. 

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

It put me more in mind of Ted ‘321’ Rogers. The more his clues were explained, the less I understood them. 

Which Bond was Ted Rogers the villain in? I stopped watching during the Roger Moore Carry on Spying era so I probably missed him, but I did have a soft spot for the late Michael Lonsdale's portrayal of international man of mystery Hugo Drax.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

Very well remembered NF. He is John Palmer, an artillery signaller who went through the retreat from Mons, fought at Loos and was wounded fixing signal wires at Passchendaele. The interview he gave in the early sixties is available on I-Player here. It is absolutely staggering - he is completely matter of fact which gives his testimony even greater power.

Pete.

Well remembered you two. I'd forgotten about him until he popped up when I was fruitlessly searching for for the right Palmer. I couldn't agree more about the matter of fact comment Pete. It was the hallmark of such much of that series's interviews. I always remember the three chaps recalling the first gas attacks. When you analysed the words, which were horrifying, they just didn't match the delivery or the fact that they were coming from these 'ordinary' late middle aged men. One of them calmly describes shooting  French troops retreating in the face of the effects of gas, under the misapprehension that they were running away 

David 

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!   

"Sounds like steam escaping" as Dom DeLuise says at the end of Blazing Saddles.

26 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

"Sounds like steam escaping" as Dom DeLuise says at the end of Blazing Saddles.

Probably right Pete- I really did think the WIT would be got by you lot quite comfortably.  I will stick to Bulgarian submarine commanders as much as poss. in the future.   I might put up a footballer casualty of the war-  played in the top flight but was also almost completely deaf.  Came across his pic. today when doing some history work. You should be able to name him on just that. (Didn't note his name or save a copy of the pic.-so far) 

48 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Probably right Pete- I really did think the WIT would be got by you lot quite comfortably.  I will stick to Bulgarian submarine commanders as much as poss. in the future.  

Au contraire mon ami. Do not confine yourself to the undersea arm of the Bulgarian forces on my part; I was just intrigued by the way that more clues took me further away. I couldn't get Michael Caine saying "you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!" out of my head which didn't help, and then the Marx Brothers sidetracked me completely, being a committed Marxist, tendence Groucho as the famous Parisian graffito is supposed to have said.

Pete.

P.S. I think I know the deaf footballer you mean. If you post him I will recuse myself, or redact myself, one of the two; both actions sound equally painful. What is interesting when I checked is that one of the resources for fallen footballers claims that another player from the club in question was killed, but in fact survived until 1955. Every day is a skool day.

4 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

What is interesting when I checked is that one of the resources for fallen footballers claims that another player from the club in question was killed, but in fact survived until 1955. Every day is a skool day.

What I did not do is make a note of the newspaper issue I was looking at for another reason -it had pics. of ALL the players,where they had come from, how they had volunteered, etc.  The club in question has a long history of fielding players with many physical issues- at least that is what  the stand where the supporter hard nuts are  suggest every home game.-rather emphatically. I have once seen a footballer wearing glasses-don't even know if that is allowed now-- the Feyenoord centre half in Jimmy Greaves's testimonial but I can't do him as I'm pretty sure he was not a Great War veteran.:wub:

20201031_092620.jpg.ae9307bf2db0675722edd1de7fee6bd3.jpg

Clue:

German.

Not deaf, and not a footballer.

This chap was very much overlooked for most of the war. 

Came into his own eventually though.

Served under both sides; (central powers and allies).

Edited by neverforget

In the same war?

Yes.

At the same time.

Just now, Uncle George said:

A double-agent? Kurt Jahnke?

Not a double agent.

When I say he served under both sides, I mean that literally. 

Was in charge of a very unique item.