Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

18 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

What I forgot to say is that is world class namedropping. I'm assuming you know what it means given your English is so good.

Pete.

I do know, thanks the the compliment nevertheless. 

And Ridgus's WIT is too easy: that's John Masefield !! 

M.

Wilson,Kepple and Betty-  before they sharpened their act a bit?  Your guess at to who is Betty.

No - here are Wilson, Keppel and Beatty (all from Wikipedia):

1A2A35B5-178C-4BBF-BABF-42B2F9438B57.jpeg

1794EDCC-89C5-4907-81A1-DFEF56DA9720.jpeg

7A4DD725-9D60-4E4A-9377-A5E348B82A2B.jpeg

ooops... I was a page or two too late for Masefield (deeeeep shame on me for not catching up early enough:whistle::whistle: ) 

uncle George, your Nb 3 is Caporal Louis Barthas,

Barthas was a 35 year old barrel-maker (Tonnelier) when he was mobilized in 1914 into the 280Regt d'Infanterie. He saw four years of active service:  Lorette, the Somme, Verdun, the Chemin des Dames ... he notes everything he saw in his little notebooks and they were published under the title "Les carnets de guerre de Louis Barthas, tonnelier 1914-1918" - very good book by the way!!! 

M;

Edited by Marilyne

35 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

No - here are Wilson, Keppel and Beatty (all from Wikipedia):

Blast-wrong again-  Beatty-"Something wrong with our bloody ships today"  Yes sir,crap admiral

Well the first one looked a bit like Hugh Gaitskill, but as he was 12 when the war ended I suspect I'm careering down a cul-de-sac as normal

On 03/11/2020 at 19:10, David Ridgus said:

Well the first one looked a bit like Hugh Gaitskill, but as he was 12 when the war ended I suspect I'm careering down a cul-de-sac as normal

Gunner’s posting of Rupert De La Bere and his proposed search for Mickey Da Mouse suggested a cartoon sub-theme. And my punning reply to GUEST’s suggestion was something of a clue in itself.

On 03/11/2020 at 19:21, Uncle George said:

Gunner’s posting of Rupert De La Bere and his proposed search for Mickey Da Mouse suggested a cartoon sub-theme. And my punning reply to GUEST’s suggestion was something of a clue in itself.

So its Hughie, Dewey and Louis

Indeed so.

Huey Long, ‘the Kingfish,’ was Governor of and Senator for Louisiana. Here’s an article about him and the Great War: http://roadstothegreatwar-ww1.blogspot.com/2016/01/the-kingfish-and-great-war.html

Thomas Dewey was born in 1902. During the war he was involved with the Boys’ Working Reserve, “a program for young men under draft age who volunteered to fill the vacant civilian jobs caused by soldiers leaving to fight in the war.” He was Governor of New York and twice Republican nominee for President; he lost to FDR and then to Truman. https://law.jrank.org/pages/12193/Dewey-Thomas-E-Pursuing-career-in-law.html

Marilyne has reminded us about Louis Barthas,

Oh I do love a WIT sub-theme (I remember a long Sunday evening spent with the Vorticists) So who are these folk:

image.png.dc903f50a82886bc407fd987c4a128a3.png

Here's a better one of the first chap.

Clue: None of them were known by their cartoon names

One on the right is Billie Neville-of the footballs, 1st July 1916. I have just been working up my piece on Captain Charles Pearce, the other company commander of the battalion who went over the top that day.

Correct GUEST. Hope your recovery continues apace

12 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Here's a better one of the first chap.

Pretty sure that Sir Philip Gibb, going to find my copy of “From Bapaume to Passchendaele” to check the picture in the front.

Can you save the search in your library, you are correct Knotty.

The remaining chap is the most difficult to identify and the most difficult to link to his cartoon character

Well, its Pip, Squeak and Wilfred.   Philip(=Pip), Billie Nevill=Wilfred Henry Nevill.  Alas, no sign of a RN 4 ringer with nickname squeak

[Just as a little aside-  These clues should lead to 2 names-highly topical.   The 2 clues are:

1) 10th Bn. South Wales Borderers, November 1918

2) 2nd Bn. Royal Warwicks, October 1917.

No pics but should be easy enough]

Edited by Guest

Right on all points. Squeak is not our man's nickname but part of a phrase he is said to have coined (some straight forward google reverse engineering should lead to him now!)

[Just as a little aside-  These clues should lead to 2 names-highly topical.   The 2 clues are:

1) 10th Bn. South Wales Borderers, November 1918

2) 2nd Bn. Royal Warwicks, October 1917.

No pics but should be easy enough]

Whenever you say that I wince! Anyway let's do my best impersonation of Moreland on the Somme and keep charging pointlessly at the machine guns. Question 2 suggests Third Ypres which in turn makes me think of two authors  Carrington and Vaughan who unfortunately don't have the christian names Joe and Donald or Boris and Keir for the topical angle. 

Am I at least at the right battle (as Beatty's signals officer was probably asked pace your earlier comment)?

3 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

Am I at least at the right battle (as Beatty's signals officer was probably asked pace your earlier comment)?

As an aside, I think there were 2 battles of Jutland- the one Beatty lost (as well as 3 battlecruisers) and the  battle where Jellicoe retrieved to a stalemate and tactical victory.

Now back to business- our man  at  2 Royal Warwick  for October 1917 is,alas, not 3rd Ypres- Our man , a holder of the MC, was badly wounded at High Wood in July 1916 and died of complications from wounds at the latter date.

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

(some straight forward google reverse engineering should lead to him now!)

Following the advice ( and not the science😁), it took a bit of finding but it seems that Sir Eric Geddes' memorable quotation is: "We shall squeeze the German lemon until the pips squeak!" during the December 1918 election campaign.

Geddes was a bit of a divisive person according to some, you can read about him here and maybe judge for yourself.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Geddes

Excellent stuff Knotty. The quote was originally attributed to Churchill (as most quotes are) and was then appropriated by Lloyd George, but Geddes is generally agreed to be its source. So Pip, Squeak and Wilfred it is.

Edited by David Ridgus

I will put you out of your misery before the topicality fades (as if)- the 2 clues should lead to CWGC and these 2 men:

image.png.c35df85358900f82feb4686a7f48d18a.png

image.png.f1802f1ebdac6c6d1165d8133edd4804.png

Laurence Biden has quite a good write-up in the Roll of Honour for his old school.  Badly wounded at High Wood, 1916- effectively invalided out but died after complications and amputation the next year when at Brighton,where he is buried.

I am,of course, not able to comment by the usages of GWF on why the names "Trump" and "Biden" may be connected at time of writing

(Said to be) two veterans of the Great War here. But who ? ? ? (Pete will know this I am sure):

2C106025-2832-4A03-9479-977E4A429004.jpeg

6905E75A-B227-4F16-AD1C-8C3A715FC4A1.jpeg

EDIT: images from Pinterest, and from tintin.fandom.com

Edited by Uncle George