Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Thanks NF, I feared I was barking. Must be the shelling.

Pete.

P.S. I have been deriving a lot of mirth from the image of you in a pointy hat. I keep turning on the news and expecting to see someone bearing that description outside a US election count......

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is that the after shot?

It is indeed. In actual fact it's photoshopped, but an accurate portrayal. 

I'll explain later.

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Thanks NF, I feared I was barking. Must be the shelling.

Pete.

P.S. I have been deriving a lot of mirth from the image of you in a pointy hat. I keep turning on the news and expecting to see someone bearing that description outside a US election count......

I'm beginning to wonder if this election will drag on for as long as Brexit. 😊

6 minutes ago, neverforget said:

it's photoshopped, but an accurate portrayal

Would I be right in saying this is a photo of a Scots battalion of the 1st Division showing the survivors of a particular battle or action? I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer involving the wrong trees.

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Would I be right in saying this is a photo of a Scots battalion of the 1st Division showing the survivors of a particular battle or action? I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer involving the wrong trees.

Your first 21 words are bang on, but then you go slightly astray.

I'm guessing that it is a representation of the survivors of the 1st battalion of the Black Watch who went to France in 1914.

Or not.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm guessing that it is a representation of the survivors of the 1st battalion of the Black Watch who went to France in 1914.

Or not.

So close.....

Wrong regiment. 

1st Scots Guards perchance?

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

1st Scots Guards perchance?

Can't be many options left now mate.

My money's on you getting it next time.😊

There were two photos,  supposedly being at the start of the war, and finally showing those of the original muster left at wars end. Can't remember which battalion though. It was featured recently on another tnread. Again, can't remember which one

1st Cameron Highlanders, if it's not them I'm going to stump off in a huff and take my ball home.

Edited by Fattyowls
Excalmation mark instead of a 1 shift howler

4 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

There were two photos,  supposedly being at the start of the war, and finally showing those of the original muster left at wars end. Can't remember which battalion though. It was featured recently on another tnread. Again, can't remember which one

I have the first photo ready and waiting to post. 

Just now, Fattyowls said:

!st Cameron Highlanders, if it's not them I'm going to stump off in a huff and take my ball home.

image.png.461e22fb8adce0367fcfacae0143c67b.png

I think it is them as well-  or are they waiting to be auditioned as extras for "Tunes of Glory"?  

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

!st Cameron Highlanders, if it's not them I'm going to stump off in a huff and take my ball home.

I've just heard some rockets go off to celebrate the correct answer Pete. 

Here's the set of photos and their source. As I said, the "after" photo is photoshopped, but an accurate representation of the one officer and 27 men who made it back home.

Very sobering.

20201105_195428.jpg.37a72314de916970d1444fc2b6c00aca.jpg

20201105_180711.jpg.449940cc343b187a921d7eef59787408.jpg

20201105_195916.jpg.b8c6439f80c7c5906e082c2d0db15e90.jpg

Some considerations on Facebook as to whether the pic is genuine (No) and whether it refers to those who survived the war or just 1914.  Apparently, them car behind the is the same car in the same place in both pics..  Gosh, the AA were a bit slow in getting to breakdowns back then.........

Edited by Guest

It's a cracking post NF, top stuff. However having mentioned every kilted battalion in the British Army does not make me want to let off fireworks. Scattergun is the word that comes to mind, both about the post and what is going on outside Owls Towers.........

Pete.

2 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Some considerations on Facebook as to whether the pic is genuine (No) and whether it refers to those who survived the war or just 1914.  Apparently, them car behind the is the same car in the same place in both pics..  Gosh, the AA were a bit slow in getting to breakdowns back then.........

They're not much better these days. I just had to give them a stinking review following their response to a recent call out to me. First time I've ever had cause to use them. I certainly will not be renewing my policy.

Yes. Clearly the second photo is photoshopped, but still paints an accurate and sobering picture of events.

1 minute ago, voltaire60 said:

Well, lets have an old favourite:

WIT?

image.png.6daca8eb7052e6ddc4e6a63544712005.png

2 clues- the second should make it simple

1) Trained gunmen in  Ireland

2)  Dalby

I posted him fairly recently, so I shall sit this one out.

32 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Well, lets have an old favourite:

WIT?

image.png.6daca8eb7052e6ddc4e6a63544712005.png

2 clues- the second should make it simple

1) Trained gunmen in  Ireland

2)  Dalby

Dalby as in The Ipcress File?

Ron

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Dalby as in The Ipcress File?

Not only the Ipcress file Ron ,but also this well know bit of cinematography including these lines. 
If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short-chamber Boxer-Henry .45 calibre miracle.

And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind it.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

I posted him fairly recently, so I shall sit this one out.

Apologies- I did not follow WIT while awaiting cataracts being sliced and diced as I could not respond quickly enough

Just now, Knotty said:

Not only the Ipcress file Ron ,but also this well know bit of cinematography including these lines. 
If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short-chamber Boxer-Henry .45 calibre miracle.

And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind it.

Exactly so.   I put this up to lament that after this year's BLM activity, then I think a particularly successful British film of the 1960s will,alas, not grace our Christmas-New Year schedules again. Yes, I know it is on DVD..............    But its not quite the same as being slouched on a sofa with the last of the Vino Acidico, half a mince pie, a turkey sandwich and a hangover while someone is shouting  "Rear rank, FIRE....Forward". It did use to make one realise how one had overindulged a little.

Sir Garnet's comment that they only fought well because they were like rats in a trap was a little unworthy.

So,yes, the Dalby led to Nigel Green and in turn to Frank Bourne, the Colour-Sergeant at Rorke's Drift. He spent most of the Great war as Adjutant of a school of musketry at Dublin.

Right, you just had the Janet and John Book 1 WIT-   Now let's get towards a proper GCSE WIT.

Who is this:

image.png.56ff8ed3f5c0ecad048d2729b18bf44f.png

I expect you want anther clue as well:

He borrowed a watch from this man at a very significant time and at a very significant place. (The man below ended up in the Oxford Workhouse shortly after)

image.png.f71d7d5d8f6b0aeb3f4543ffc4c72986.png

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

that after this year's BLM activity,

And what’s wrong with Bacon Lettuce with Mayo😂

1 minute ago, voltaire60 said:

Janet and John Book 1 WIT

You leave me and SWMBO out of it 😁

Just now, Knotty said:

And what’s wrong with Bacon Lettuce with Mayo

It leaves streaks on my TV screen  while I am watching "Zulu" and too hungover to get up and clean it off.