Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

If it's not Hergé I'm stumped. Is there a serving Belgian major in the house?

the Belgian major is in "class" ... so to speak. behind her computer at home with Boyfriend ready to serve coffee whenever needed. 

of course that is Hergé and coming stright out of Tintin... 

This is "Philippulus", the crazy prophet. appears first in "L'Etoile mystérieuse" and then shows up now and then to warn about the end of the world and that people need to de penitence. 

Like a lot of secondary characters in Tintin, Philippulus was inspired by a true life friend of Hergé: Philippe Gérard. They fought in 1941 over Hergé's too accommodating attitude towards the Germans. to take revenge, Hergé gave him the role of Philippulus. 

But I must admit that the link with the great war escapes me... 

M. 

12 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Dougal, I was told, was supposed to represent de Gaulle. I believed this at the time and for many years. 

Implausible, since Dougal was only his name in the English version. His original name was Pollux.

Ron

Despite the abundance of clues, I'm sat here in the corner wearing a pointy hat that is emblazoned with a large letter D.

It's not Bernt Balchen, (Polar explorer,  aviator, ex French Foriegn Legionaire ) Is it?  (Sir John of that ilk, was lost with HMS Victory in in 1744) How he fits in with a South London fag factory, a commerce raider  and the civil war,  defeats me though.

GH

Edited by Gunner Hall
Typo!

29 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

It's not Bernt Balchen

You are absolutely correct Gunner, it's not. As with David's logic last evening it is a quality piece of deduction and I feel almost churlish saying it is wrong (emphasis on the almost). If I knew what remorse was I'd be showing it.

I'm very interested in the way that adding clues separately seems to make it harder rather than easier, for me at least. So to sum up my man:

He shares a name with a Civil War Parliamentary colonel general, but not in the same order. His namesake has what I think of as the most exotic name of the whole conflict, ouside perhaps of Praisegod Barebones, The name also links to the location of an alternative establishment with the same name as Nelson's flagship in the south of that London.

He was a career naval man, who had an interesting but relatively obscure WW1 which involved chasing German commerce raiders early on and serving on a ship regarded between the wars as a thing of symbolic beauty, which made her catastrophic loss the more shocking. He may not have spent too much time on the bridge during this period as he may have been below decks, hence the oily rage clue.

His real fame arises from his loan to the navy of one of our cricket playing cousins post war, but spent his retirement in another one.

Pete.

AH! So the sight that caused matelot's to swown was HMS Hood rather than one of the Zeigfeld Girls.  Thats some hours of pleasurable research wasted.   

GH

3 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Thats some hours of pleasurable research wasted.

I don't think that could ever be described as wasted. Off beam but not a waste.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

I don't think that could ever be described as wasted. Off beam but not a waste.

You beat me to it Pete.

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

You beat me to it Pete.

Just out of interest NF do the clues help or hinder?

36 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Just out of interest NF do the clues help or hinder?

There's certainly plenty to go at Pete, but at the moment I'm wading through a bit of a pea souper. Someone with more than half a brain will be seeing things more clearly though I'm sure. 

P.S. I hope I'm not being too immodest crediting myself with half a brain. 

Edited by neverforget

I was adrift in a flood of clues.  However, the fog has lifted in the channel -  Rear Admiral Ernest Dickerson Sydenham.  

Late of HMS Highflyer and Engineer Commander of the Hood at launch. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

I think you have it Gunner...................Colonel General Sydnam Poyntz, also Sydenham Poynts , ..........30 Years War and English Civil War was the Civil war Officer.

Excellently deduced gentlemen. Ernest Sydenham it is. The locational clues refer to Sydenham Hill close to where the Crystal Palace stood; it was a naval establishment called HMS Victory during WW1, an interesting fact I came across while researching Crystal Palace FC. Ernest Sydenham was loaned to the Royal Australian Navy as it developed after the war becoming a Rear Admiral. He'd spent time in Australia before the war selecting the right coal. On his retirement he crossed to New Zealand interestingly. The photo and the information come from the Australian Navy site and their write up is very comprehensive.

I spend more time than is probably good for me in the 17th century and Sydenham Poyntz was a name that stuck in my memory as he was Parliamentary commander in the north for a period. He was more closely associated by the Presbyterian faction in Parliament rather than the Independents and other sectaries in the New Model Army and he ended up falling from grace. All of this came about from one of GUEST's clues, which sent me off on an enjoyable wild goose chase - but possibly not as enjoyable as Gunner's research amongst the dancing girls.

What is interesting is how posting clues separately on a linear forum don't always help; thank you all for assisting me in the research, I think I'll follow up Gunner's pioneering work with the dancers from now on.

Pete.

P.S. It's like a bad night in the trenches here at Owls Towers, is anyone else experiencing a barrage?

Ah, Pete, , you know it makes sense.

BTW, it was the Hood clue - ever since I received the airfix kit,  Christmas  '68,  i I've been obsessed with her. 

my interest in dancers developed some time later. 

GH

26 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

P.S. It's like a bad night in the trenches here at Owls Towers, is anyone else experiencing a barrage?

We seem to be under fire here too, but as yet they don't appear to have found our range. Still, I'm not removing my tin hat until it's all over (which will probably be half way through December).

Any roads, 

Who is this???

20201105_182726.jpg.6988616b7ae01451f06427789014f676.jpg

Edited by neverforget

17 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Unfortunately yes, sound like they have a set of soviet katyusha's over the park near me! :o 

6 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

ever since I received the airfix kit,  Christmas  '68,  i I've been obsessed with her. 

My grandfather served on her, between the wars, still got his tally with HMS Hood (gold wired) and photos of him receiving the rum ration for his turret,(he was a rangefinder), and another cleaning out the guns. That’s him in my avatar 

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Who is this???

Which one🤣

3 minutes ago, Knotty said:

My grandfather served on her, between the wars, still got his tally with HMS Hood (gold wired) and photos of him receiving the rum ration for his turret,(he was a rangefinder), and another cleaning out the guns. That’s him in my avatar 

Priceless memoirs John.

4 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Which one🤣

All 28 of them.

28 minutes ago, neverforget said:

We seem to be under fire here too, but as yet they don't appear to have found our range. Still, I'm not removing my tin hat until it's all over (which will probably be half way through December).

Any roads, 

Who is this???

20201105_182726.jpg.6988616b7ae01451f06427789014f676.jpg

Is this Lena Ashwell and her troupe?

Anyone would think it was bonfire night.  Ah, wait.....

NF,  it's the tiller girls!! Nurse, the screens.......

Sorry chaps but despite the "skirts" it's an all male group.

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Meet the gang ‘coz the boys are here! Are they the Diamond Troupe?

Apologies for the delay, was checking out the regiment's dispersion through the divisions. I can see no mention of any of them being in the 29th division, and they were not entertainers, simply soldiers.

Now if the extensive library is to be believed the 29th won 27 Victoria Crosses, a record apparently. However all of these gentlemen appear to be kilted, and I'm struggling to see a kilted battalion on the strength. Doesn't mean there isn't one,  I just can't see it. Do I need to rearrange the words tree, up, wrong and barking to form a well known phrase or sentence?

Pete.

Nothing to do do with the 29th division; in fact you are exactly 28 divisions out.

All of these men were from the same battalion, so V.C.s are nothing to do with the answer.