Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

On 17/10/2020 at 22:55, Uncle George said:

Yes, Sellar and Yeatman. They met after the First war, in which they had both been wounded (Yeatman seriously, apparently). Quotes from ‘1066 And All That’.

Yeatman's nephew is a neighbour of mine. I found this out when I spotted a copy of 1066 And All That on his bookshelf, and asked if he was any relation.

I think my favourite quote is one of the quiz questions:

"Who was in whose what, and how many miles a-what?"

I did not realise at the time that the next question gave the solution:

"Cap'n, art thou sleeping there below?"

Ron.

Slung atween the roundshot in Nombre de Dios Bay. A former Mayor of Plymouth, though he seems to have done a few other things as well, I believe.

Coming back to our man , then misled for a long time by another candidate- half the population of Ireland seemed to have flitted between the Rangers and the Leinsters and a suitable candidate seemed to be Stephen Gwyn. Alas, no amount of picture editing could reduce his age closely enough to our man-let alone that no matter how much Gwynn trimmed his tash it was still clearly wrong.

But I think our man  may have had,very obliquely, a Dutch connection  and also to have also served briefly in the same regiment as a recently departed Irish football manager.  Would that be so?

Edited by Guest

I had come to Gwynn, and arrived at the same conclusion. I also found that the Connaught Rangers/Leinsters clue didn't narrow it down very much. 😊

7 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

But I think our man  may have had,very obliquely, a Dutch connection  and also to have also served briefly in the same regiment as a recently departed Irish football manager.  Would that be so?

I think not. My man became, amongst other things in a crowded life, a vicar of the established church.

13 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I think not. My man became, amongst other things in a crowded life, a vicar of the established church.

Curses- spitting image of the photo as well. Ah well, at least you know what is coming on the next WIT!

18 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

a vicar of the established church

Where? England or Ireland?

Ron

13 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Where? England or Ireland?

Ron

Sorry - England. He attended Chichester Theological College.

John Hamilton Maxwell Staniforth,  aka Max Staniforth,  sometime railwayman in Argentina, Radip presenter, vicar of Pentridge and Sixpenny Handley in Dorset.  Found the time to translate Meditations by Marcus Aurelius too

19 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

John Hamilton Maxwell Staniforth,  aka Max Staniforth,  sometime railwayman in Argentina, Radip presenter, vicar of Pentridge and Sixpenny Handley in Dorset.  Found the time to translate Meditations by Marcus Aurelius too

Yes, that’s him. The author of ‘At War with the 16th Division’ (2012), “among the most perceptive, graphic and evocative personal records of a soldier's life to have come down to us from the Great War”.

ttps://books.google.co.uk/books/about/At_War_with_the_16th_Irish_Division_1914.html?id=M5ELNQEACAAJ&redir_esc=y

His philosophy:

If you are a soldier, you are either:

(1) at home or (2) at the Front.

If (1), you needn’t worry.

If (2), you are either (1) out of the danger zone or (2) in it.

If (2), you are either (1) not hit, or (2) hit.

If (2) you are either (1) trivial or (2) dangerous.

If (2), you either (1) live or (2) die.

If you live, you needn’t worry: and – If you die, YOU CAN’T WORRY!!

So why worry?

His life and the image are here:

http://staniforthfamily.com/JohnHamiltonMaxwellStaniforth.html

And a look at his book, here:

https://theconversation.com/gallows-humour-from-the-trenches-of-world-war-i-17900

I had a copy of  "At War with the 16th Irish Division 1914-1918"  in my hand last week,  i think in a shop in Cromer.  Still failed to recognise his face.  

Should have bought the thing, despite having decided to severly curtail book buying.  I'm in danger of having to move self into the garage.

8 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

having decided to severly curtail book buying.  I'm in danger of having to move self into the garage.

Drastic Gunner - but we've all been there. Not your garage obviously, that would be wrong. An excellent spot and a very interesting man, a funny philosopher if that is not an oxymoron, thanks for posting him UG.

Pete.

image.png.6cdedcfb47285d9a85c4dbd27b0bd75c.png

And this chap-    You have had the clues already  - Connaught Rangers, Leinsters. Has an oblique Dutch connection and served in the same regiment as a recently departed Irish football manager. 

38 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

image.png.6cdedcfb47285d9a85c4dbd27b0bd75c.png

And this chap-    You have had the clues already ...

I see that Jackie Charlton served with the Royal Horse Guards. As did Tommy Cooper - I remember Spike saying that the horse looked better than he did.

22 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I see that Jackie Charlton served with the Royal Horse Guards. As did Tommy Cooper - I remember Spike saying that the horse looked better than he did.

Then I must correct-the source I used said "wor Jackie" served on Nasho with the Lifeguards.  Make it clear then, that the WIT served with the Lifeguards.

Just now, voltaire60 said:

I remember Spike saying that the horse looked better than he did.

I remember Spike saying much the same on another occasion- that Tommy Cooper and his horse obviously had the same dentist.

Served in two infantry regiments and one cavalry.  Did he get sick of walking?  

No,  he just couldn't mske his mind up.    After The Lifeguards, The Royal Dublin Fusiliers,  and the Leinsters he joined the 9th Lancers of the Indian establishment.

In the second war, he joined the 79th (Hertfordshire Yeomanry) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery as admin officer and then jumped back to Hodson's Horse!

Oh and he recieved the VC with the 3rd Bt of the Leinsters.    John Vincent Holland VC (19 July 1889 – 27 February 1975).

Well done, GH   - John Holland VC .   And a justification to print below the citation for his VC

For most conspicuous bravery during a heavy engagement, when not content with bombing hostile dug-outs within the objective, he fearlessly led his bombers through our own artillery barrage and cleared a great part of the village in front. He started out with 26 bombers and finished up with only five, after capturing some fifty prisoners. By this very gallant action he undoubtedly broke the spirit of the enemy, and thus saved us many casualties when the battalion made a further advance

He has another connection to Maxwell Staniforth, - Before the outbreak of war he travelled in Brazil and  Argentina, Holland worked for the Carriage and Wagon Department of the Central Argentine Railway, whilst Staniforth worked inthe traffic department.

He doesn’t appear to be from a military family,  his father was  a veterinary surgeon BUT, both of his sons served Niall Vincent was a Major in the 4th Bn. 5th Mahratta Light Inf. He was awarded the M.C. but was killed on the 15th of June 1944 aged 25 and is buried in Imphal War Cemetery India. Younger son Norman, served as a Gunner in the Royal Artillery with the 4th Durham Survey Regiment in North Africa, Sicily and Normandy.

On 20/10/2020 at 13:11, Uncle George said:

His philosophy:

Don't worry, be happy... 

I love it!!!! 

Just shared it with my colleagues from class... wonder what they think of that.

oh ... and bought the book on Kindl.. thanks for that, Uncle Georges!! 

M.

Edited by Marilyne

3 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

No,  he just couldn't mske his mind up.    After The Lifeguards, The Royal Dublin Fusiliers,  and the Leinsters he joined the 9th Lancers of the Indian establishment.

In the second war, he joined the 79th (Hertfordshire Yeomanry) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery as admin officer and then jumped back to Hodson's Horse!

Oh and he recieved the VC with the 3rd Bt of the Leinsters.    John Vincent Holland VC (19 July 1889 – 27 February 1975).

Great spot Gunner - I got nowhere, for a long period of time.

Now then - who is this Mirror Man ? ? ? He served in the Warwickshire Yeomanry in the Great War, though the Middlesex Regiment may have been more appropriate.

He is not Lord Rothermere.

94CC5F3B-5A37-4C7C-9045-630A593102F4.jpeg

No, this is George Lloyd, 1st Baron Lloyd- a now forgotten politician and colonial administrator. Before the Second War his light shone even brighter than that of Anthony Eden and his Great War record was distinguished-  a DSO.   

Yes, he may well have been gay  -which is the subject of a rather interesting new book by  Chris Bryant, the Labour MP on the anti-appeasers of the 1930s and how many of them were gay-  and how the Conservative apparatchiks tried to do them down for their sexuality. Those that had been old enough to serve in the Great War had done so with distinction- those who served in the Second World War just as much, such as Robert Bernays or Ronnie Cartland.  Which just goes to show , for the Great War let alone the next one, that  any man who wore His Majesty's uniform earns a level of respect that diminishes anything else that could do them down.

I enclose a link to the BBC website that tells the story of the gay anti-appeasers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54478753

Edited by Guest

No, this is George Lloyd, 1st Baron Lloyd- a now forgotten politician and colonial administrator. Before the Second War his light shone even brighter than that of Anthony Eden and his Great War record was distinguished-  a DSO.   

Yes, he may well have been gay  -which is the subject of a rather interesting new book by  Chris Bryant, the Labour MP on the anti-appeasers of the 1930s and how many of them were gay-  and how the Conservative apparatchiks tried to do them down for their sexuality. Those that had been old enough to serve in the Great War had done so with distinction- those who served in the Second World War just as much, such as Robert Bernays or Ronnie Cartland.  Which just goes to show , for the Great War let alone the next one, that  any man who wore His Majesty's uniform earns a level of respect that diminishes anything else that could do them down.

I enclose a link to the BBC website that tells the story of the gay anti-appeasers:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54478753

Yes, exactly so. He was WSC’s ally between the wars, on the Appeasement front and on the issue of self-government for India (which was my clumsy ‘Die-hard’ clue). Image from Wikidata.

EDIT: for the benefit of any Wykehamists present, the ‘Die-hards ’ were the wing of the Conservative party, which included WSC and George Lloyd, opposed to Indian self-government.  ‘The Die Hards’ is the nickname of the Middlesex Regiment.

27 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

‘The Die Hards’ is the nickname of the Middlesex Regimen

Gosh!!   I never knew that Bruce Willis was in the Middlesex Regiment- 4 times over  :wub:

During a search for a recent candidate, I came across a chap who I thought I might post, but on reflection I think him too obscure. Nevertheless I should like to mention him as I feel him worthy of recognition on here. 

His name was Archie Gilkison, and has been referred to as the Wilfred Owen of cartooning. He worked for the Glasgow press, and was conscripted in 1916, but died of pneumonia before reaching the front.

His story here:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/14366473.the-inside-story-of-scottish-war-cartoonist-archie-gilkison/

A couple of examples of his work. If you like them google his name and a pdf file comes up with a few more. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way of posting a link to it.

20201021_201544.jpg.ac6567e2b34563eb27bca5cbdaf050d2.jpg20201021_201913.jpg.4c4b746413a1a917e49e028ad09fdb6c.jpg20201021_201859.jpg.29b143ec55bf4503a02fac298dc467f4.jpg