The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

GunnerH

I will give you another hint about the wall.....Berlin

Edited by Knotty

Eduard Pulpe.

Eduard Martynovich Pulpe it is, the first accredited Imperial Russian air ace,albeit his initial victories were gained whist flying in Escadrille 23 for France,before transferring service to his native Russia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Pulpe, gives nice little resumé of his life, cut short by being the first victim of the German ace Erwin Böhme.

Edited by Knotty

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Eduard Martynovich Pulpe it is, the first accredited Imperial Russian air ace,albeit his initial victories were gained whist flying in Escadrille 23 for France,before transferring service to his native Russia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Pulpe, gives nice little resumé of his life, cut short by being the first victim of the German ace Erwin Böhme.

No doubt I wouldn't have found him without your last clue.

All the other clues were there, but I had been looking for an East German. 

👍🏻

1 minute ago, Gunner Hall said:

So,  he was a first for his country,  Isn’t a Teuton, has a  French connection and  was  an allied schoolteacher employed by France as a pilot with an escadrille  but was from the opposite side of the cold war divide.   It's Eduard Pulpe!

It's been solved 3 or 4 posts back Mr. Hall. Sorry, I pipped you to the post.

I did find another on my search though to keep the thread going for a short while.

Probably a very short while.

Another ace, and another first.

20200911_171711.jpg.dc9700a2a5c13a2fba925944db84031d.jpg

Need another clue for the above?

20200911_171844.jpg.760a0dc2dc5deec95002a0fec01f4176.jpg

Not forgetting that I stumbled across him whilst looking for Knotty's chap, so once again, wrong side of the wall would be relevant. 

I would love to play along, alas in my quest to find some “new” blood this chap appeared in my list, (number eight),I will let him pass for a while. I will add another WIT  tomorrow, I’ll slither off now and watch Question of Sport😁

My chap served in two separate branches of the armed forces, achieving high ranks in both. He served for one country during the conflict, and another shortly after it.

His father was one nationality, his mother was another; neither of which was the country he served in during the war, which in turn was not his country of birth.

Hope that's clear.

12 hours ago, neverforget said:

Hope that's clear.

Mud. That's all I'm saying, but then I've only had one cup of coffee so far today and am only communicating in grunts. I've got some nice Sumatran beans which might do the trick......

Pete.

P.S. He reminds me of either Montgomery Clift or Michael Rennie which isn't going to help the identification process one bit.

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Mud. That's all I'm saying, but then I've only had one cup of coffee so far today and am only communicating in grunts. I've got some nice Sumatran beans which might do the trick......

Pete.

P.S. He reminds me of either Montgomery Clift or Michael Rennie which isn't going to help the identification process one bit.

He was a highly decorated individual, who went on to participate in a conflict in the 20s.

One of his awards in WW1 would make him one of only 5 possible contenders. 

This award has a link by name to BCFC's football stadium. (Home fans.)

Edited by neverforget

After the war, he was instrumental in setting up an air force and training pilots for the country of his birth, becoming their commander and chief, leading them to victory in their conflict, and becoming one of the youngest Brigadier Generals in history.

He the returned to the country he had fought for in WW1, and was reinstated as a Colonel.

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

After the war, he was instrumental in setting up an air force and training pilots for the country of his birth

Could he possibly be Polish? Straws, at, grasping - rearrange these words to make a well known phrase or sentence.

Pete.

3 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Could he possibly be Polish? Straws, at, grasping - rearrange these words to make a well known phrase or sentence.

Pete.

No, Pete. He fought for the U.S. in WW1, though it wasn't his country of birth. 

At this point I'll refer you back to the clue I posted with the picture of him in uniform. That's your Trump card.

On 11/09/2020 at 17:20, neverforget said:

It's been solved 3 or 4 posts back Mr. Hall. Sorry, I pipped you to the post.

I did find another on my search though to keep the thread going for a short while.

Probably a very short while.

Another ace, and another first.

20200911_171711.jpg.dc9700a2a5c13a2fba925944db84031d.jpg

Apolgoies, it took me so long to find him, I forgot to refresh my browser. Well done Sjr!

On 11/09/2020 at 18:58, neverforget said:

Need another clue for the above?

20200911_171844.jpg.760a0dc2dc5deec95002a0fec01f4176.jpg

Not forgetting that I stumbled across him whilst looking for Knotty's chap, so once again, wrong side of the wall would be relevant. 

I found this chap while I was looking for Mr Pulpe. Damned if I can  remember his name though. 

2 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

I found this chap while I was looking for Mr Pulpe. Damned if I can  remember his name though. 

So did I Gunner H, he was on my list, that’s why I’m not contributing😁

That's where I found him too. 😄

Ah,  I'll keep quiet then . Still can't remember his name, in any case!

Thanks a bunch lads, you just sit on the sidelines chortling as I flounder........

So there's an award named after the Tilton End at St Andrews? Who'd have thought it. I still think it's Montgomery Clift.

Pete.

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

Thanks a bunch lads, you just sit on the sidelines chortling as I flounder........

So there's an award named after the Tilton End at St Andrews? Who'd have thought it. I still think it's Montgomery Clift.

Pete.

Yes there is Pete, and only 5 recipients. 👍

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Yes there is Pete, and only 5 recipients. 👍

I feel like I've switched into a parallel universe where up is down......