Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

This is Anton Lehár*. His brother was Franz the famous composer of operettas . Came from a military and musical background, their father was a regimental bandmaster.

Pete.

*various other spellings are available depending on which of the 147 different languages spoken in Austria-Hungary you choose (I exaggerate for comic effect but the number is large).

Edited by Fattyowls

Good call Pete, we were naming his brother on here around the time of Lockdown😃

Edited by Knotty

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

This is Anton Lehár*. His brother was Franz the famous composer of operettas . Came from a military and musical background, their father was a regimental bandmaster.

Pete.

*various other spellings are available depending on which of the 147 different languages spoken in Austria-Hungary you choose (I exaggerate for comic effect but the number is large).

Well done. I was struggling for a next clue which didn't make him fairly obvious. He was very very briefly minister of defence of Hungary - which is how I came across him. (The Lehars were Hungarian.)

(For anyone not doing WIT at the time. There was discussion about the connection between Prince Danilo of Montenegro and the Merry Widow)

RM

Edited by rolt968

Good one unfortunately too late stuck in my bubble with 300 kids lol 

Summer break is over and Pete strikes again!!! 

I was wondering where we all went... 

M.

1 hour ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Good one unfortunately too late stuck in my bubble with 300 kids lol 

Sounds like cruel and unusual punishment as defined by the US Constitution Alison. I'm sure they are all little angels........

John's man looks teutonic, in a bright eyed and bushy tailed sort of way, but beyond that I'm struggling.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

Summer break is over and Pete strikes again!!! 

Lucky guess. Hope the course is going well matey.......

Pete.

Teenagers Pete and simply amazing!  

I thought his collar looked German A pilot maybe?

2 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

looks teutonic,

May look Teutonic Pete, but far from it.

Sorry, missed Alison post, correct on pilot✔️

Edited by Knotty

Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle, before he joined the police. 

21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Lucky guess. Hope the course is going well matey.......

Pete.

Just started but we're already on our toes... I'm luckily one step ahead of the rest with my English skills ... 

I'll keep you all updates on the various burn outs..; 

LOL

M.

4 hours ago, Knotty said:

Ok then, first clue French connection🙂

Algerian?

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Algerian?

I'd gone the other direction and thought maybe Scandinavian. As a consequence I now know a lot more about the effects of the Great War on those countries, but still haven't a clue who it is. You never know, the information might come in handy.......

Pete.

Just now, Fattyowls said:

I'd gone the other direction and thought maybe Scandinavian. As a consequence I now know a lot more about the effects of the Great War on those countries, but still haven't a clue who it is. You never know, the information might come in handy.......

Pete.

I haven't the foggiest either Pete, but I had almost forgotten what a fountain of learning this thread is.

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I haven't the foggiest either Pete, but I had almost forgotten what a fountain of learning this thread is.

As I've said before it's the classical education that I missed out on as a result of having to go down pit at 12..........

I think we may have to get all plaintive and throw ourselves on Mr K's  mercy for more crumbs of information.

Pete.

Evening gents

No not Algerian, but an allied schoolteacher employed by France in the capacity Alison mentioned.

Edited by Knotty

I wondered if it was Edmond Genet but the clues don't fit and I'm not sure he has more than a passing resemblance. Is your man American and something to do with the Escadrille Lafayette?

Pete.

Morning Pete

No not American the other side of the wall, but definitely with an Escadrille, however not the famous Lafayette.

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I wondered if it was Edmond Genet but the clues don't fit and I'm not sure he has more than a passing resemblance. Is your man American and something to do with the Escadrille Lafayette?

Pete.

I had exactly the same thought, Pete. Great minds or fools; I leave it for others to judge.

I've probably got the clues ar5e about face, but Didier Masson?

Well, obviously not Popeye Doyle the star of the French Connection.  how about James Rogers McConnell?

The first of 64 alumni of the University of Virginia to be killed during the war.  Flew with the Lafayette Escadrille

Edited by Gunner Hall

1 hour ago, Gunner Hall said:

Flew with the Lafayette Escadrille

Hi GunnerH

If we had post numbers I could refer you to the appropriate one, alas as I said not in the Lafayette contingent.

NF, sorry not Masson.

Ah,  I missread that.   Couldn't work in the "other side of the wall " clue either with McConnell, him not being from "  South of the border, down Mexico way ",