Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

10 minutes ago, daggers said:

A crumb or two:

Commissioned 1903, C/O 1st Bn 1916, cmd Brigade 1918, an MiD or two, DSO 1916.

Knighted 1945.

D

Then surely it was Victor Morven Fortune?

20200613_134700.jpg.a4a9b7052e0868696db4d752dd269323.jpg

Edited by neverforget

Also seen here with a very familiar face.

20200613_134917.jpg.c1788a9c190380052db3cfb10a42a426.jpg

3 minutes ago, daggers said:

Well done!  I must find the photo, but not now needed.

D

Fascinating story Dags; worth checking out even without the photo. I'd never come across him before. And congratulations to NF for not letting little details like the absence of the visual get in the way of a good spot.

Pete.

what's the background of the photo??? I'm Learning new things…

M;

2 minutes ago, jonbem said:

I'm guessing at St Velery en Caux

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Fortune

Ah - a further search suggests Cherbourg

https://albumwar2.com/erwin-rommel-and-the-prisoner-major-general-sir-victor-morven-fortune/

thanks.

Very interesting indeed!!

M.

2 hours ago, Marilyne said:

thanks.

Very interesting indeed!

If you are very interested have a look for Operation Cycle and Operation Aerial; the numbers of troops evacuated separately from Operation Dynamo at Dunkirk are surprising.

Pete.

Gwfpic.jpg.d0f8ec3e416ee552b1241d0db8b058dc.jpg

I think this man is probably very easy to find. (Bonus for anyone who can say with which unit he served in France.)

RM

First guess he's a piper... with the bandolier... I think I have an idea but it's too easy... so I'm leaving the rest of you to think.

M.

Following M’s lead I will have a guess at Piper Daniel Laidlaw VC, of the 7th Kings Own Scottish Borderers. He is the only one I can name for definite.🙂

30 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Following M’s lead I will have a guess at Piper Daniel Laidlaw VC, of the 7th Kings Own Scottish Borderers. He is the only one I can name for definite.🙂

No, not Daniel Laidlaw.

Piper George Findlater VC, of the 9th Battalion Gordon Highlanders?

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Piper George Findlater VC, of the 9th Battalion Gordon Highlanders?

Well done. Latterly Sergeant Piper

Later 11 Gordon Highlanders and its Training Reserve equivalant.

The picture is from the obituary in the Aberdeen Weekly Journal of 12 March 1942.

Readers of George McDonald Fraser might be interested in the following extract from the Press and Journal of 2 January 1947:

GWF3.jpg.93da6ca797e69ecd0fa1c33f6e30a04c.jpg

RM

On 18/06/2020 at 02:54, rolt968 said:

Gwfpic.jpg.d0f8ec3e416ee552b1241d0db8b058dc.jpg

I think this man is probably very easy to find. (Bonus for anyone who can say with which unit he served in France.)

RM

Certainly wasn't in the army when that was taken!  No collar bages, a small plaid brooch rather than a cap badge in his glengarry and what appears to be a Black Watch or Royal Scots (or civilian?) plaid brooch but no piper's plaid.  Furthermore, his musician 'wings' are on the wrong shoulders!  Facing backwards. 

On 17/06/2020 at 23:00, rolt968 said:

No, not Daniel Laidlaw.

was my first idea... good thing I kept my mouth shut... 

M.

9 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

Certainly wasn't in the army when that was taken!  No collar bages, a small plaid brooch rather than a cap badge in his glengarry and what appears to be a Black Watch or Royal Scots (or civilian?) plaid brooch but no piper's plaid.  Furthermore, his musician 'wings' are on the wrong shoulders!  Facing backwards. 

(I was hoping that might be a kind of double bluff - not dressed as an army piper, so not a famous piper. It didn't work!)

Going by his age it's probably the uniform of the Turriff Pipe Band of which he was pipe major. Had he been younger it might have been what he wore when he appeared in music halls

(to the disapproval of the powers that be).

RM

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

was my first idea... good thing I kept my mouth shut... 

M.

You could be forgiven for that. In quite a lot of the illustrations in things like cigarette cards they look remarkably similar. I was surprised when Ifound the photos of Findlater at Netley that he seems to have been quite thick set.

Quite a lot of his record survives at findmypast. If I have got his date of birth right, he readjusted his age one way when he enlisted first and the other way when he re-enlisted in 1914. I think (bits of it are indistinct) that the medal section indicates that he was entitled to the clasp for the Tirah but does not mention his VC.

RM

Who is this show off???

20200620_160058.jpg.47ab643b221b44b8a7a4b212b741a679.jpg

That looks strangely like a Martyside S1 scout, without giving to much away😁
I do know who it is, as I gave a talk on his exploits about a year or so ago, to a local military history group.
It’s sad to think that when he died his grave went unattended by his family and “lost” for over 50 years and it wasn’t until 2018 that it was finally found in the county of his birth and restored by his local museum, his epitaph reads “Farmer and pioneer in the air.”

On 13/06/2020 at 14:38, daggers said:

Well done!  I must find the photo, but not now needed.

D

Some chap has this photograph on Ebay and says its General Patton with Rommel...….

16 hours ago, Knotty said:

That looks strangely like a Martyside S1 scout, without giving to much away😁
I do know who it is, as I gave a talk on his exploits about a year or so ago, to a local military history group.
It’s sad to think that when he died his grave went unattended by his family and “lost” for over 50 years and it wasn’t until 2018 that it was finally found in the county of his birth and restored by his local museum, his epitaph reads “Farmer and pioneer in the air.”

Yes it is a strange drawing.

On 21/05/2020 at 10:10, neverforget said:

He was an English public schoolboy, and born in Manchester.

However, the collar pin might be a good spot on your part, as it is true that he did spend some time in America, which included him getting married, and also spending 18 months in jail for a completely unrelated offence. 

My father wore a "pin" in his collar and he was certainly NOT American!