Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Assuming that Knotty's man isn't Jimmy Cagney, I'm wondering if this might be a German who fought for France, and vice versa. 

Nope mine and Pete’s man served for their respective countries

PS Pete I hope you didn’t mind me answering on your behalf

Not a problem John.

28 minutes ago, Knotty said:

however it’s the same sort of irritation as with telegraph wires

You've got to let it go. It's strange how you don't notice something until it's pointed out and then you only see that feature.

Typically misguided intuition once again. 😂

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

Typically misguided intuition once again. 😂

Not a problem Mr P. As Murray Walker would say "UNLESS I AM VERY MUCH MISTAKEN! YES! I AM VERY MUCH MISTAKEN!". What surprised me when I started reading around these two men is how far into the back of the WW1 beyond* the event took place.

Pete.

* at least as far as most English speaking students of the Great War are concerned.

If you knew both names and plugged them into a search engine (at least on DuckDuckGo) you would get an motorsport hit.

Pete.

This is so unfair... I don't even have the time to play right now... too much stuff to read and to do for school... 

when I'm not stuck at some family thing like today. 

M.

I can't make head or tail of this one. Assuming that they are somehow linked is about as far as I've got, and I'm not even sure about that. 

Help....

Of whom was this said? Not definitely a story from 1914-1918, but he was very active in that period.

After a speech by this man, the person clearing up the hall discovered that the speaker had left his notes on the podium. A marginal comment read:

"Argument weak here. Shout and bang the podium."

Ron

7 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Of whom was this said? Not definitely a story from 1914-1918, but he was very active in that period.

After a speech by this man, the person clearing up the hall discovered that the speaker had left his notes on the podium. A marginal comment read:

"Argument weak here. Shout and bang the podium."

Ron

W.S.C?

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

W.S.C?

Or maybe LG?

As for the two gentlemen posted by myself and Mr Knott if you were to place them chronologically with the British members of this select but unfortunate group they would fall just before a man on a train and a cyclist.

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

This is so unfair... I don't even have the time to play right now... too much stuff to read and to do for school...

When you are promoted to running the whole Belgian army I'm going to tease you about that statement........

Pete.

Just now, Knotty said:

I like that clue Pete

Thanks Mr K; at the risk of being immodest I do too. I can't remember the name of the man on the train off hand but the boy Van Emden will know, it was he that brought him to my attention. In the past I have taken pity when posting clues but now it's no more Mr Nice Guy.

Pete.

I've found the man on the train and updated the clue above; the two men in the photos come before him by a couple of days and before the cyclist by nearly three weeks.

Pete.

17 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I've found the man on the train and updated the clue above; the two men in the photos come before him by a couple of days and before the cyclist by nearly three weeks.

Pete.

Got you Pete. Your clue is on a Parr with one of the best of recent times. My general train of thought kicked in here. 

Jules Peugeot and Albert Mayer, if I am not mistaken. 

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Got you Pete. Your clue is on a Parr with one of the best of recent times. My general train of thought kicked in here. 

Jules Peugeot and Albert Mayer, if I am not mistaken. 

And a clever answer if you ask me Mr P. If another clue were to be needed I was going to throw in the son of Zeus and Antiope (although other individuals with this name in Greek mythology are available, this one is mentioned in a work by a Lt. wounded in the graveyard at Bazentin-le-Petit).....

Yes, if I remember correctly Lt. Albert Mayer's cavalry crossed the border at Joncherey not far from Switzerland the day before the declaration of war. They were challenged by Jules-André Peugeot and his comrades upon which Mayer shot Peugeot and was then shot and killed himself. When I looked up Joncherey I was surprised to find it was so far west.

Pete.

Nice double, John and Pete. Very surprising that they haven't featured on here before now. 

P.S. Your Greek God clue would have thrown me well and truly off the scent, Pete. 😆

You will find them both featured on Pete’s thread “Has anyone got a photo of.........”, I put up a photo of their graves, and I’m not going to embarrass you by saying that the next post was from your goodself🤣🤣🤣

oops....sorry😁

1 minute ago, Knotty said:

You will find them both featured on Pete’s thread “Has anyone got a photo of.........”, I put up a photo of their graves, and I’m not going to embarrass you by saying that the next post was from your goodself🤣🤣🤣

oops....sorry😁

Thanks pal, it's good of you to spare me that unimaginable embarrassment, not to mention public humiliation. 😆You're a gentleman and a scholar. 👍

Interestingly, if you use the word in its loosest sense, I thought about following the Greek mythology clue with a photo of the author's forehead where I thought a bit of the graveyard at Bazentin-le-Petit was still in situ. But could I find a photo with so much as a pimple? The non clue clue was HMS Amphion, sunk on the 6th August having hit a mine laid by a German minelayer that she had sunk the previous day. The loss of at least 130 crew members (and a few German prisoners from the minelayer) was the day after after Henry Hadley, who was was shot on a train on the 3rd August had died in a German hospital.

Pete.

9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Interestingly, if you use the word in its loosest sense, I thought about following the Greek mythology clue with a photo of the author's forehead where I thought a bit of the graveyard at Bazentin-le-Petit was still in situ. But could I find a photo with so much as a pimple? The non clue clue was HMS Amphion, sunk on the 6th August having hit a mine laid by a German minelayer that she had sunk the previous day. The loss of at least 130 crew members (and a few German prisoners from the minelayer) was the day after after Henry Hadley, who was was shot on a train on the 3rd August had died in a German hospital.

Pete.

That would have been a fiendishly clever clue, whilst at the same time being dastardly and despicable of you Pete. One can only marvel at your Bond-villainesque sadism when imparting clues to the more dense population, of which I place myself at the top of the pile, or perhaps the bottom depending on your interpretation. 

When you mentioned a cycle and a train a lightbulb switched on, but anything requiring more intellectual thought would have left me stumbling around in my dull recesses. A complete fluke on my part.

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Or maybe LG?

Pete.

Well done, Pete. I thought it would be an easy one! The Welsh Wizard it is.

11 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I can't remember the name of the man on the train off hand

William Huskisson, I think.  :lol:

Ron

16 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

When you are promoted to running the whole Belgian army I'm going to tease you about that statement........

Pete.

you think I will have time then??? 

let me say it before anybody else does: by then the army will be so small I'll be able to run it between my dinner and tea. 

LOOOL

7 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

William Huskisson, I think

Interestingly (again using the word in it's loosest sense) you pass the site of the accident on the Liverpool Lime St to Manchester Victoria line (I think). It's marked by a memorial which was unveiled the year before the events we were discussing. Now not many people know that........