Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Sorry GH, I have not been ignoring your answer,forgot to press send....bug*er, anyway it is not him either.

Another clue, from across the pond.

Harold Gillies, the pioneer in plastic surgery???

if I'm blabbering idiocies, you will forgive me… today was a perfect example of "orders, counter-orders, disorder" !!

M.

Hi M

Not him either

I would prescribe myself a good strong drink, if my day was a bit like yours😁

15 hours ago, Knotty said:

Sorry GH, I have not been ignoring your answer,forgot to press send....bug*er, anyway it is not him either.

Another clue, from across the pond.

I'm use to it.  Despite being a 6'2" ex blindside flanker I can be strangely invisble to shop assistants too.    Never had a problem with barmaids, thank God. 

12 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi M

Not him either

I would prescribe myself a good strong drink, if my day was a bit like yours😁

sure!!

Except that I'm in "ops" and that we're on a 0 alcohol policy…

M.

Norman Bethune?

GH

Thats the fellow, with a very well known French name😄,well done.

The photo shows him in a Chinese operating environment. 
Here is his story https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Bethune, quite a tale behind his life.

He was first to use mobile blood transfusion on the battlefield, and invented the rib cutter used for heart ops. He even has a medical award named after him still used in China.

As regards his WW1, started as a stretcher bearer, enlisting from his home country of Canada in 1914, severely wounded returned to finish his medical studies and become a doctor, returned to be a surgeon in the Royal Navy.

It was his exploits in the Spanish Civil War and in the Chinese revolution where he made his mark.

Well done Mr. Hall. I was never in the running with that one. Spent too long barking up too many trees. Time is never wasted though when it is spent searching for WIT candidates. 

Thank you both-  I initially misread "common to France"  as "commune in France" . After getting the hint about "across the pond"   (and recovering after reading about monkey gland treatment), I started looking for North American surgeons who served in the international brigades..... tah-dah!   Norman Bethune.   Never heard of him.  Probably as I'm not Chinese. 

55 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well done Mr. Hall. I was never in the running with that one. Spent too long barking up too many trees. Time is never wasted though when it is spent searching for WIT candidates. 

Absolutely. The thing about barking up too many trees is that sometimes you find the rabbit. (Mixed Metaphor Warning)    My rather narrow mind has been considerably widened.by WIT.   

Edited by Gunner Hall

Here’s an interesting chap. He’s top right in the first photograph, which was taken in 1865. The second photograph of him with the King was taken in 1926. But who is he ? ? ?

A44C156B-4B9B-46ED-BDFB-3632C7626EAC.jpeg

10C7F000-9C3B-4BF7-B521-0E1895E6F7B3.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Taking a quick flyer at Sir Richard Haking from the picture with KG V

No, not Haking. My chap was commissioned in 1860 and appointed to a post in the British Army in 1936 (sic).

Is it Sir Bindon Blood?

23 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is it Sir Bindon Blood?

Yes. Yes it is. After a distinguished career he was appointed Representative Colonel Commandant, Royal Engineers in 1914, and Chief Royal Engineer in 1936. Photographs from his memoirs, ‘Four Score Years and Ten’ (1933).

F8C7A14D-9113-494C-A961-560D058169B6.jpeg

Blimey! I actually got one at long last.

Did a search for officers commissioned in 1860, and noticed that he died in 1940. Lucky guess.

Well done NF, back on line now, just after I posted, bloody tinterweb went awol.

Another name to add to my ever increasing list of people I need to look up about, thanks UG

Edited by Knotty

So who is this?

He began as a private, but rose to become a lieutenant. He served in Egypt and Greece and even spent some time with the Serbian Army. 

77539068-C965-440B-9224-69433E643CF1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

So who is this?

He began as a private, but rose to become a lieutenant. He served in Egypt and Greece and even spent some time with the Serbian Army. 

77539068-C965-440B-9224-69433E643CF1.jpeg

Is he Donovan Young?

48 hours and only one guess, surely you can throw some more names into the pot?

Clue.......he won the Nobel Peace prize, and no I will not diverge what year😄

Clearly on our side then. Egypt makes me think Imperial forces; Aussie or Kiwi as a wild guess. I'm pretty much stumped though to be honest. 

Not Aussie or Kiwi, bet you will get his country of origin now😁

Just to clarify not one of the home nations either👍

Edited by Knotty