Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Good afternoon 

Sorry for the delay, I have been out all morning, in answer to Schweiger, no not him, although as a small band of men their paths may well have crossed.

Another clue, he died in 1958, and previously, although retired, he volunteered for duty on 25/7/1939, but never called upon for WW2 service.

I went through every German WW1 submariner that I could find last night and also looked for German agents in the US who might have been 'turned'. No breakthroughs. John - @Knotty, you are fiendish, but in a good way.

Pete

Sorry Pete you have taken the US helping clue the wrong way, my WIT wrote a treatise which went on to become what the US used as its basis for their submarine service. (post #12247)

39 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Sorry Pete you have taken the US helping clue the wrong way, my WIT wrote a treatise which went on to become what the US used as its basis for their submarine service. (post #12247)

John, no need to apologise - it's a quality clue. It lead to a very interesting wild goose chase around the German intelligence and sabotage efforts in the US. And it might even yield the odd photo.....

Pete.

P.S. Learning a lot about American submarine warfare but unfortuately not any names.....

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 14:22, Knotty said:

Mr. V, I will give you a helping hand clue, that’s a German uniform😁

My reply to this clue was removed by a moderator but I thank you for it anyway. As the chap is standing side-on, I could not determine the niceties of naval uniform. And I am still none the wiser!!   Room 40, Lusitania, Zimmerman, U-Boat commanders- No luck with any of them. And my knowledge (not particularly wanted) of German naval attaches  would rival the German Navy List now.  Time for another small clue....perhaps his full name for a starter???

Ah-it's Hermann Bauer- German naval officer, author of a treatise on U-Boat construction that was translated by Rickover for the use of the US Navy and was a standard reference text for decades.

Edited by Guest

Take a bow Mr V, you finally cracked it, it is indeed Hermann Bauer, one time commander of the German Imperial Navy submarine fleet, and commander of some well known battleships. He became Commander of the Navy and only a month  later (Nov 1928) he retired after being made an Admiral. 
Not having come across him before, I am now trying to find out as much as possible, anyone know of a biography (online) a link would be appreciated.....Thanks.

(Wiki note below, photo copyright acknowledged)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Bauer

Edited by Knotty

Well, as you asked-there are his memoirs:

Als Führer der U-Boote im Weltkriege (Der Eintritt der U-Boot-Waffe in die Seekriegführung)

BAUER, HERMANN (Admiral z. V.):

Published by Leipzig, Koehler & Amelang, o.J., 1941 (1941)

(I suspect the book below may also be useful)

Teach Yourself Instant German New Edition (TYIC)

Smith, Elisabeth

Published by Teach Yourself (2003)

ISBN 10: 0340868279 ISBN 13: 9780340868270

Mike

:wub:

This looks useful:

Count Not the Dead: The Popular Image of the German Submarine

By Michael L. Hadley

This is excatly the sort of book that may have been translated into English and we don't know it-  Naval Institute Press, etc. I suspect that somewhere in the US Navy, there is an internal translation. As indeed I thought-the Rickover translation was,in effect, an internal staff publication. None on COPAC but one of the service libraries should have it

The Submarine: Its Importance as Part of a Fleet, Its Position in International Law, Its Employment in War, Its Future

Department of Intelligence, Naval War College, 1936

Edited by Guest

18 hours ago, Knotty said:

Thank you MrV👍

Pleasure Knotty. My one-man campaign to promote literacy. It is curious that Bauer's memoirs have not, to my knowledge, been translated-  exactly the sort of stuff Naval Institute Press publishes (not just "Hunt for Red October").  Thus, probably the only major account by a German commanding officer that is not available in English. Am I mistaken in this??? Given the great interest in the German U-Boat war and several very healthy and informed websites out there, thus even more surprising-Better finish that "Teach Yourself German" double quick :wub:

Must concur with what you say MrV, several hours of trawling though the internet has yet to turn up a translation. Thank goodness the wife can speak German passably, just need to persuade her to help😁

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Must concur with what you say MrV, several hours of trawling though the internet has yet to turn up a translation. Thank goodness the wife can speak German passably, just need to persuade her to help😁

Your very own "Book at Bedtime"- There are several cheapish sets of Bauer's memoirs on ABE- so that  is your Christmas present sorted as well- As a well-known comic of yesteryear might say "You lucky man"  :wub:

This gentleman has been mentioned as a possible candidate on this thread but as yet I cannot find him featuring on here,so let’s give it a go. Clue to start ...a Yank😁

A82BEB75-4606-4A81-BF94-D47E6B007612.jpeg

Yes there are several images on the internet.

Edited by Knotty

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

This gentleman has been mentioned as a possible candidate on this thread but as yet I cannot find him featuring on here,so let’s give it a go. Clue to start ...a Yank😁

A82BEB75-4606-4A81-BF94-D47E6B007612.jpeg

Yes there are several images on the internet.

This may take a little while.....Hmm.... American........   Ah,yes-1910 Census- only  92,228,496, to choose from

Yes, if that’s for all the population, but a proportion will be female so that’s a fairly large percentage to take off, as well as youngsters under the age of signing up for the military🤣🤣

And the clue is there in calling a Yank a Yank, think a bit more lateral in the saying....

Edited by Knotty

15 hours ago, Knotty said:

Yes, if that’s for all the population, but a proportion will be female so that’s a fairly large percentage to take off, as well as youngsters under the age of signing up for the military🤣🤣

And the clue is there in calling a Yank a Yank, think a bit more lateral in the saying....

1) Thank you for the extra clue that this is not a female  :wub:

2) I have trouble thinking  in any direction :wub:  

Ok easier clues....

Served in the Motor Ambulance Corps, but spent more time hospitalised with both Spanish Flu and tuberculosis, he met his future wife, his nurse, when he was a patient.

A political activist both between wars and after, he was imprisoned for his beliefs.

Having said that he is better known for his interwar writing, and his involvement with the Russian General Kemidov.

He served again in WW2, he also developed emphysema.

Should be enough there to go on👍

2 minutes ago, LarsA said:

Must have read the Maltese Falcon too many times..

One of the great detective novels and an even greater movie. Very good spot Lars......

Pete.

Good one Lars,

Samuel Dashiell Hammet, as he was christened it is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashiell_Hammett

I was surprised NF wasn’t up for this one, Dashiell has been one of his go to US novelists, that’s how I knew he’d been on WIT but not as a candidate🤣🤣

Here is a man involved with ”covfefe” well before that word was invented, and also was in Intelligence work in WWI.

A wife with literary ambitions (and some success) who had a brother in the army in another theater of war. 

Possibly an inspiration for Hemingway.

C05197DF-8886-4A46-B982-B139D336B1A2.jpeg

Edited by LarsA

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Good one Lars,

Samuel Dashiell Hammet, as he was christened it is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashiell_Hammett

I was surprised NF wasn’t up for this one, Dashiell has been one of his go to US novelists, that’s how I knew he’d been on WIT but not as a candidate🤣🤣

I was bringing up the rear as per usual.😊

The rarest of beasts.

Actually 2 City wins to celebrate today.😂

Edited by neverforget

Ah I see what you did there, took me a while to suss😁

(just noticed my post number is palindromic, only another 11 to achieve again)

Out of date comment but will be revived soon,

Edited by Knotty