Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

A youthful Bill Shankly??   

At a guess, knowing Pete's affiliations I would say that's someone we can almost definitely rule out.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

At a guess, knowing Pete's affiliations I would say that's someone we can almost definitely rule out.

Perhaps not. Shanks lived  close to the Everton training ground and is known to have given coaching advice over the fence.  Perhap's Everton's greatest manager then Pete?

Perhaps not. Shanks lived  close to the Everton training ground and is known to have given coaching advice over the fence.  Perhap's Everton's greatest manager then Pete?

The jury's out then Mr. V. To be fair, be you red or blue, it is surely hard not to have anything but the greatest respect for the incomparable "Shanks".

Was he known more for his previous/future career, than for his involvement in the Great War?

13 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Was he known more for his previous/future career, than for his involvement in the Great War?

I suspect we are both thinking of Antonio Salazar, the future dictator but part of the murky system that ruled Portugal in the Great War years

Don't tell anyone but I am relaxed about Bill Shankly; although one eyed about footballing rivalries there was much to admire about him as a man. He once eulogised William Ralph Dean as one of the greatest footballers who ever lived, I really need to find the quote and save it. My man has serious Merseyside links and his patch actually included Goodison Park rather than Anfield at one time.

Pete.

When Bill left Liverpool he found that he couldn't let go of football and, having been in the game all his life had withdrawal symptoms. Liverpool's hierarchy were not keen to have him around Melwood, which was understandable if a bit cold, so he would go down to Bellfield, Everton's training ground and stand on the touchline with Gordon Lee watching training. Tommy Docherty at United was also welcoming, the contrast apparently rankled with Shanks.  It's actually pertinent that you remind me of it as the Everton charity is looking to start a group for recent retirees; I've know several examples where retirement has not been the positive it should be.

Pete.

A clue on the Shankly lookalike in bronze - he's nothing to do with football as far as I know.

Pete.

Bug*er, been going down the wrong route, thanks for the heads up 👍

Try again tomorrow if it doesn’t go overnight.

Due to Pete's "his patch" clue I've been thinking more along the lines of copper or politician. 

(I know, I'm almost certainly a zillion miles away as per usual.)

That’s similar to what I am now thinking ( football was a good red herring), so I’m with you on this one nf, of course we could both be miles away😁.

13 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

his patch actually included Goodison Park rather than Anfield at one time.

Does this refer to the Liverpool constituency of Walton, so are we looking at a politician?

57 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Does this refer to the Liverpool constituency of Walton, so are we looking at a politician?

You are on the right track John. This person was parachuted in to the constituency by the local party bigwigs. That would never happen in modern times surely...........

Pete.

Frederick Edwin Smith, 1st Earl of Birkenhead?

Spot on NF; well solved. My next clue would have mentioned a single by Gerry and the Pacemakers about a unique mode of Merseyside transport, since the river stands between the constituency and his home turf. The photo comes from his Wikipedia page and the bust is at Grays Inn I think. It is striking that 100 years ago Walton would have elected FE, although the current incumbent has similarities only in the sense of being parachuted in to what is now a safe seat.

Pete.

If I'd waited for your next clue I'd never have got there Pete 😊

It's interesting that quite apart from red herrings and Daniel's legendary and wonderful non-clue clues (he is missed), sometimes extra clues take you further away rather than closer to the answer.

Not that I have a clue at the best of times.......

Pete.

P.S. What made me think of Smith was looking for a photo of the Indian Memorial at Neuve-Chapelle. Smith unveiled the memorial in the company of Ferdinand Foch; he'd been on the staff of the Indian Corps and co-wrote the history of the unit.

I recently picked up a second hand copy of “For the Honour of my House” by  Tony McClenaghan, which is a potted history of the Indian Army during the Great War, must move it closer to the top of the pile to read.

5 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

It's interesting that quite apart from red herrings and Daniel's legendary and wonderful non-clue clues (he is missed), sometimes extra clues take you further away rather than closer to the answer.

Not that I have a clue at the best of times.......

Pete.

P.S. What made me think of Smith was looking for a photo of the Indian Memorial at Neuve-Chapelle. Smith unveiled the memorial in the company of Ferdinand Foch; he'd been on the staff of the Indian Corps and co-wrote the history of the unit.

F.E.Smith- certainly one of the most unpleasant British politicos ever-  and a lawyer, which doesn't help....and a scouser-well, say no more.

The biography by his son, the 2nd Earl cannot entirely overlook such a blaggard and bounder-an absolute cad.

Of the many tales of his unpleasant,sarcastic manner my favourite is that of his regular walk from the Inns of Court down to the House of Commons. He used to stop off to have a pee at the National Liberal Club-roughly halfway. When  eventually challenged that he was F.E.Smith, the Tory and asked if he were a member of the club, he replied "Oh, is it a club as well?"

one of the most unpleasant British politicos ever-  and a lawyer, which doesn't help....and a scouser-well, say no more

politician, lawyer and scouser; I wonder which one he would regard as the most insulting? If I were a betting man I'd say the latter.

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

politician, lawyer and scouser; I wonder which one he would regard as the most insulting? If I were a betting man I'd say the latter.

I am only brainwashed by cultural stereotypes propagated by Harry Enfield 

I would not have never recognized the bust as FE-  almost every photograph has him with a leer or, on a good day when he was in a good mood (ie drunk), a scowl. :wub:

(A curiosity, with a slight GWF  status to it, is that FE, Austen Chamberlain and Wully all went the same way- shouting at their servants-  FE did a damaged vein in his neck(common with boozers), while Wully was shouting that his morning tea was not hot enough. At least Allenby did something different- dropped down building a birdcage in his garden.)

Edited by Guest

F.E. was not exactly parachuted in.  He was born and schooled in the town of his later title and for that does not qualify as a scouser.  He was well known in Liverpool despite his London base.

D

(actual scouser)

Others who carried out a similar “good deed” sometimes ended up with a VC. The picture is after his promotion.

photo courtesy of IWM.

44DF61D2-5E7B-4DC8-8DFC-A718DD015B98.jpeg

Edited by Knotty
Acknowledgement

2 hours ago, daggers said:

F.E. was not exactly parachuted in.  He was born and schooled in the town of his later title and for that does not qualify as a scouser.  He was well known in Liverpool despite his London base.

D

(actual scouser)

Fair point Dags, I was probably trying to have a gentle dig at the current incumbent and stretching the point.

Pete (another actual scouser)

P.S. Hope all is well south of the border, down Allerton way......

Edited by Fattyowls
Word order from a grammar other than English