Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

A good subject Robert, and well done Pete

I rather fancy that Jonbem had his tongue in his cheek when posting 12291 above

This is SS-T in later life

426835160_RDstopicinlaterlife.jpg.de1f6f652930d81ae6f6a4e7996de79b.jpg

11 hours ago, michaeldr said:

A good subject Robert, and well done Pete

Thanks Michael, Robert's clue took me straight there. It's one of the things I like about the thread, I wouldn't have come across him or his context in any other way. Likewise would I ever have come across the connection in Lars' last post. Is Skool Everyday a - rearrange these words to make a well known phrase or sentence.

Pete.

Lets have something out of left field. Who is this.......

image.png.79de7736fa7795e02768eb54c7dc3132.pngimage.png.79de7736fa7795e02768eb54c7dc3132.png

Image from Google Earth.

if this is hinting at Antarctic explorers … Ernest Shackleton ???

although I'm not sure any psychologist would believe anyone claiming to see a face in the snow …

M.

Ötzi or Oetzi?

General Snow?

Nice tries all; with some lateral thinking I believe it's known as. Marilyne is on the right track of my man, but I'm not aware that he spent any time here.......

Pete.

Going by the double picture clue, are we looking for someone bi-polar?

Simples....... it depicts the well respected historian(sic) Dan Snow and his great-great grandfather David Lloyd George😂

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Going by the double picture clue, are we looking for someone bi-polar?

Boom boom!

There's a Wilhelm II Land in Antartica, though as the picture is posted twice I'm guessing the area named is singular but when plural has a Great War connection?

It is Otto Sverdrup. The islands were named after him. He spent much of the First war searching for the lost Georgy Brusilov (no relation).

Sorry for the delay; been helping the choir rehearse 'Strawberry Fields' for a performance at Strawberry Fields next Friday. The double post is a deep frozen red herring which resulted from an extra click in my laptop's snipping tool, but impressed that you all noticed it, I certainly didn't. UG's idea is interesting but we are poles apart. We are talking about the rocky bits sticking up out of the snow here. And that's H2O in its solid state rather than Dan. Think of somewhere relatively near the snowy area that isn't as snowy, and think of a part of the human body that should be snowy white.

Pete.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

part of the human body that should be snowy white.

Pete

That’s just asking for trouble😁

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Pete

That’s just asking for trouble😁

Not if your mind is equally spotless John.

To sum up; Marilyne and Mr Heid have correctly narrowed down the continent, so the task is to work out which famous person who has already appeared at least once on the thread in athletic garb is represented by the rocky peaks poking through the ice.

Pete.

Would it be Richard Evelyn Byrd, naval officer in both World Wars and an accomplished explorer, some of the time by airplane. The photo could be Marie Byrd Land, named after the Rear Admirals wife.

John

3 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

We are talking about the rocky bits sticking up out of the snow here. . . Think of somewhere relatively near the snowy area that isn't as snowy, and think of a part of the human body that should be snowy white.

Frederick Peake - Peake Pasha, he of the Arab Legion. The part of the human body is, er, the Widow’s Peak.

It’s not, is it.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Frederick Peake - Peake Pasha, he of the Arab Legion. The part of the human body is, er, the Widow’s Peak.

It’s not, is it.

Absolutely correct, it's not. The man in question would not want to be in the water down there despite his achievements. It would definitely make his teeth chatter.......

Just to move the whole I-thought-it-was-a-good-idea-to-post-a-satellite-image-of-Antarctica thing forward you are looking for someone who would be easily recognisable if I posted his image. He's been on WiT? before (but that hardly narrows it down these days I admit), and there are clues in swimming and teeth. And which is the closest Allied combatatant nation to Antarctica? There, I'm giving it away. No, don't thank me.........

Pete.

Robert Menzies  Prime Minister of Aus and stay at home member of the Melbourne University Rifles.  He's got his own mountain down there.  No idea about his ability to swim, or his dental history though.

Edited by Gunner Hall

The Salamander,  a dentist!   Good Lord.  (I didn't even know he could swim...) 

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

the Freyberg Mountains.

Absolutely correct; Bernard Freyberg also has a constituent rock named after him if memory serves. And I assume he is the most highly decorated dentist of WW1. Well done mon oncle.

Now for a bonus point who can name the country and mountain range that contains a whole group of dramatis personae from WW1?

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
Half a sentence and punctuation outrages

The  Canadian Rockies?   There is a whole range named after Canadian VC winners,  and a mountain named after Joffre!  

Just now, Gunner Hall said:

The  Canadian Rockies?   There is a whole range named after Canadian VC winners,  and a mountain named after Joffre!  

Spot on GH, there is a cluster of peaks named after French generals, including Nivelle interestingly......