Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

11 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Others who carried out a similar “good deed” sometimes ended up with a VC. The picture is after his promotion.

photo courtesy of IWM.

Would that be an Australian collar dog? And would the 'good deed' be rescuing a superior officer, or rescuing in general. Or none of the foregoing?

Pete.

Yes to the collar dog, yes to rescuing in general.

And as a clue he became more prominent around 1998.

John

If it is 1998 it's a bit early to have been something to do with Lambis' work on the missing grave by Pheasant Wood at Fromelles. I think I've seen the face, but then I've just said that to myself when I looked in the mirror first thing. Probably time for another industrial strength cup of coffee......

Pete.

P.S. Can I just say that that is the first time I've ever identified any kind of badge; it's knowledge by osmosis I suspect......

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

If it is 1998 it's a bit early to have been something to do with Lambis' work on the missing grave by Pheasant Wood at Fromelles. 

P.S. Can I just say that that is the first time I've ever identified any kind of badge; it's knowledge by osmosis I suspect......

Well you're one step ahead of me then Pete, (unsurprisingly). Thanks for the tips.👍

Edited by neverforget

10 hours ago, Knotty said:

Yes to the collar dog, yes to rescuing in general.

And as a clue he became more prominent around 1998.

John

Hmm-Oz collar tags-prominent around 1998....Jason Donovan? :wub:

Sorry to say he has no connection to Neighbours, Home and Away or any other Aussie daytime secret delectations 🤣

35 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Sorry to say he has no connection to Neighbours, Home and Away or any other Aussie daytime secret delectations 🤣

But Oz films????????????????    Wrong dates for Anzacs or Gallipoli. Pretty sure Crocodile Dundee was not a Great War veteran.

I was luring  you into stating whether the WIT has anything to do with the  film "The Lighthorsemen", a 1988 Oz film-which is the only connection with Oz I have found from 1988.....except Jason Donovan of course.

Mr V 

Sadly no Oz film either, also you should be looking at 1998, not 88😁, ( a typing error or a senior moment perhaps?). Location Latitude N 50° 37' 5" ; Longitude E 2° 50' 8" will reveal all.

29 minutes ago, Knotty said:

a typing error or a senior moment perhaps

Both.My cataract operation was postponed on Wed.  

But my memory(excluding senior moments, hours,days,weeks,years,decades) tells me that Edgar  Granville died in 1998.  First British peer to lbe a centenarian-albeit a life peer. Served at Gallipoli with Anzacs but then made a career of being an obscure politician. .....

Or. Jason Donovan........

Edited by Guest

Sorry to hear that MrV

Hasn’t that happed to you before the cancellation route?

Just to clarify, 1998 was the year this Aussie became more prominent to the world in general, he was killed in action 1917, see post #12183

.......still not Jason Donovan and his technicolour Trench Coat

Worryingly I recognised the lat/long without having to put it into Google Earth. The Cobbers Memorial at Fromelles is the location which would make the man Simon Fraser, a sergeant at the time.

Pete.

oh great.... missed one day on the forum because of running around at work to keep things going and you guys manage to fill a complete page... 

M.

3 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

oh great.... missed one day on the forum because of running around at work to keep things going and you guys manage to fill a complete page...

Think of it this way, if you'd spent the day on the forum the Belgian Army would be shouting where's my food? Think of Napoleon's famous dictum.......

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Think of it this way, if you'd spent the day on the forum the Belgian Army would be shouting where's my food? Think of Napoleon's famous dictum.......

C'est pas faux!! 

You guys should have come to us thursday... we had the visit of a VIP delegation from Algeria (please don't ask) and served them quite the nice standing lunch... of which half remained afterwards... including the homemade deserts... 

M.

2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Is that your first cataract operation, or have you already had the other eye done?

If it's the first op, best of luck, but you should have nothing to worry about. If it's the second, you will already know that!

I had the op on both eyes, about six months apart, a few years ago. The most irritating feature is that if you wear glasses, you will find that the lenses send conflicting messages to the brain, until you have the other eye done.

Ron

1 minute ago, Marilyne said:

including the homemade deserts... 

I do hope that you mean "desserts", the sweet course, rather than a bit of the Sahara!  :lol:

Ron

2 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

I do hope that you mean "desserts", the sweet course, rather than a bit of the Sahara!  :lol:

Ron

Of course... 

30 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

of which half remained afterwards... including the homemade deserts...

Is there any left and could you ship it to Merseyside? Purely as an exercise in logistics of course. Unless of course we really are talking sandy landscapes rather than sweet treats to follow the buffet. I'm sure your boys (and girls) could ship in some sand dunes to make your visitors feel at home......

35 minutes ago, Knotty said:

And the Amber liquid award goes to Pete (aka Fattyowls).

I've been past the memorial loads of times without knowing that John; every day is a school day on WiT? The only amber liquid I will countenance by the way is Irn Bru however. I'm still slightly disturbed by being able to read the lat/long without cyber assistance. That said in one of my former lives I developed as expertise with barcodes and I began to suspect that I could read them without the scanner. I changed career direction at that point. My friend Billy is similar with microfilm; he can point to an old newspaper which is just a blur to me and say 'see that?'. I don't think he actually needs the screen anymore, he just needs to hold the roll up to the nearest window.......

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls

10 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

expertise with barcodes

your favourite one? EAN, UPC, GTIN, ITF, ANA, or others? Then try and tell some people that QR's are not barcodes!

16 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

every day is a school day on WiT

If we all knew everything about the GW, then we wouldn’t need the Forum....that’s my little bit of philosophy for the day😁

Irn-Bru, the first advert to upset the transgender community....you trying to tell us something Pete.

Edited by Knotty

12 minutes ago, Knotty said:

If we all knew everything about the GW, then we wouldn’t need the Forum....that’s my little bit of philosophy for the day😁

Irn-Bru, the first advert to upset the transgender community....you trying to tell us something Pete.

I never knew that either John. When I find an answer to Jon's question I'll look it up. I'm tending towards UPC at the moment, but it's been a long time and to paraphrase Sam Goldwyn a lot of water has been passed since then. That said knowing the rather quaint organisation I was working for it was probably Plesseycode......

Pete.

P.S. I've just looked it up in the extensive library and the Scotsman ran a very good article on a succession of weird Irn Bru ads. I have to admit to not seeing any of them. Far out as they used to say.

Edited by Fattyowls

Or. Jason Donovan........

Sorry to hear that M. V. Hope the delay won't be too long, that said you are on cracking form despite it, keep up the good work and keep your fellow WiT? inmates posted.

While we are at Fromelles this is a photo of the sculpture and the memorial park. There are three names associated with the point of observation and another name a few hundred meters further away. The latter is strictly speaking out of scope. All four are not making their debut........

image.png.edee8fee2aa87540e58e9b1be76694e1.png

Taking a stab at part of this one Pete, would this be the point where King George V, General Rawlinson and Major Thompson are observing the attack on Pozières Ridge using a telescope.