Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

You guys are a proper caution; not to mention an absolute tonic to an old man with failing health. How blessed am I. All royalties please donate to the  B.C.F.C. transfer fund. 😂😂

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

All royalties please donate to the  B.C.F.C. transfer fund

I’m sorry NF, but I can’t resist saying...............so they can lose it (as usual)

I apologise,I apologise, let’s get this back on track with a WIT, I haven’t got one yet,I’m looking😁

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I’m sorry NF, but I can’t resist saying...............so they can lose it as usual.

I know, I know! Hardly a wise investment, but these (last 50 years) are desperate times!

Ever the optimist, despite being a fatalist, we actually seem like we might be starting to put something together. 

Don't hold your breath though....

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

You guys are a proper caution; not to mention an absolute tonic to an old man with failing health. How blessed am I. All royalties please donate to the  B.C.F.C. transfer fund. 😂😂

You are far too easily pleased Mr Plumb. Your request reminds me of Andy Spence, former manager of what was then called Everton Ladies wandering past me with a handful of change and saying it was his transfer budget.

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

a stones throw off of being 30 years ago

I'm interested in the elastic nature of the phrase "a stones throw" and this is the first time I've seen it used for proximity in time rather than in space. I once gently chided an Everton historian of my acquaintance for saying that the founder of Newton Heath was born a stones throw from Goodison Park. Leaving aside that Goodison Park wasn't there at the time the linear distance was 2.1 miles. I thought this was excessive, then earlier this week I read an Australian journalist describe the distance from Ypres to Fromelles as a stone's throw. It's just over 16 miles.

Pete.

I’ve always accepted that a stones throw refers to being within a fictitious close proximity, albeit a distance or a time span, never bothered to actually put any direct measurable unit to it. I suppose it is one of those sayings you grow up with, without questioning.
Then of course there’s you Pete🤣🤣

The "high points" of my completely useless grammar school schooling, before I moved on to to better and more approved forms of education, were, in the athletics department; pole vault champion, and 4 times annual winner of the "throwing the cricket ball" event.

My school reports proudly state; "Could develop into a useful pole-vaulter." An observation that was met by my father's comment "What t.f. is a useful pole-vaulter?" Fair comment, it has to be said.

Anyway, I could in those days, I could throw a stone a damn sight further than I could ever throw a cricket ball. 

Just thought I'd share that with you all.

4 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Anyway, I could in those days, I could throw a stone a damn sight further than I could ever throw a cricket ball.

Can you give me that in meters NF? I may use it as a standard measure.

9 minutes ago, Knotty said:

I’ve always accepted that a stones throw refers to being within a fictitious close proximity, albeit a distance or a time span, never bothered to actually put any direct measurable unit to it. I suppose it is one of those sayings you grow up with, without questioning.
Then of course there’s you Pete🤣🤣

I take your point John and yes, this one is straight out of Pedants but 16 miles? Even 2.1 is ludicrous even with a mediaeval trebuchet to hand.

But enuff of the funnee stuff, this should be easy. Image from Wikipedia and appears to be public domain.

image.png.11232f7186499c8d2c9b27aa68584d15.png

Edited by Fattyowls

1 minute ago, Fattyowls said:

Can you give me that in meters NF? I may use it as a standard measure..

Sorry Pete, I only work in imperial old boy.

Roughly works out as about 2 and a quarter miles, give or take.

20 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Roughly works out as about 2 and a quarter miles, give or take.

You mean a stones throw then NF,🤣🤣

Might as well have another WIT on the go, this gentleman was very useful to the US.

6B7C915B-7AE9-4767-8741-B255BB9C0B34.jpeg

14 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

The working title was and remains 'Wonky Horizons and Sloping Water: a photographically challenged odyssey around the Western Front'.

Pete.

I think Bear would want a part of that copyright !! Title sounds good, in any case!!

We could also add a chapter on how to deal with fog appearing out of nowhere just when getting started on a tour… like me 15th Nov last year.

M.

11 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

But enuff of the funnee stuff,

God Moaning

French👍
Careful or the stereotype police will have you they are disguised as poloceman so are oble to move aboot with complate frodom.🙂

15 hours ago, neverforget said:

old man with failing health

I think it is very unfair indeed to describe yourself in this way-  You will only have the BCFC scouts coming round trying to sign you up :wub:   (Again!)

I was going to post a picture of the last French veteran of Gallipoli but the French don't seem that bothered with the affair- no name, no pic.

15 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

But enuff of the funnee stuff, this should be easy. Image from Wikipedia and appears to be public domain.

image.png.11232f7186499c8d2c9b27aa68584d15.png

Pierre Laval.  His legal and political career was abruptly terminated in August 1944.  .

Edited by Gunner Hall
Spelling, as ever

16 hours ago, Knotty said:

You mean a stones throw then NF,🤣🤣

Might as well have another WIT on the go, this gentleman was very useful to the US.

6B7C915B-7AE9-4767-8741-B255BB9C0B34.jpeg

As I cannot find a decent picture of the man, I'll have a stab at William Montgomery- who,along with De Grey, was the main  cryptanalyst who broke the Zimmerman Telegram

5 hours ago, Knotty said:

God Moaning

French👍
Careful or the stereotype police will have you they are disguised as poloceman so are oble to move aboot with complate frodom.🙂

Maybe I was incongruously channeling my inner Arthur Bostrom; which is remarkable since I didn't like Allo Allo. Popular cultural osmosis (now that's not a phrase you hear very often....). Although I think Officer Crabtree would have pronouched it 'boat enoaf of the foonay stoof'........

2 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Pierre Laval.  His legal and political career was abruptly terminated in August 1944.  .

Spot on GH; the photo is from 1913. I'm trying to frame a question about the French mutinies of 1917 for the French Army thread and I was interested to see that Laval publicly supported the mutineers. His political journey from one extreme to the other is fascinating.

Pete.

6 hours ago, Marilyne said:

I think Bear would want a part of that copyright !!

I would not want it any other way; Bear is an integral part of the team......129568735_CratersPlugstreetAPR15224.JPG.ecfef0155b196f316df90a47a2c2a5d9.JPG

i got old Pierre's date of execution wrong too.  Must have been looking at some other despicable character. 

As for the other chap,  I can't get past the fact that the German sailor looks like my father in law.   Unsettling..

37 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

i got old Pierre's date of execution wrong too.  Must have been looking at some other despicable character. 

As for the other chap,  I can't get past the fact that the German sailor looks like my father in law.   Unsettling..

You are getting off lightly- Every time I put in a new search to try and locate  this man, I get a picture of Maximillian von Spee- and I am left with the dreadful  question-  why has he got Richard Branson's beard?

Thats why R.B's  a millionaire.  He's too tight to pay for a beard of his own.  Mark my words,  one of these days he will turn up sporting the full Tirpitz. 

3 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

one of these days he will turn up sporting the full Tirpitz

He's going to need a lot of space, and where do you get anti-submarine netting these days?

image.png.da0316c41cbf0df3f7df3ff15f96a5e7.png

I'm sure I've seen John's German naval officer somewhere but so far the lightbulb moment has eluded me. I've not even had a low energy LED moment for that matter. I've been through the Zimmerman telegram personel but I think we need to petition John for a clue or two.

Pete.

P.S.Tirpitz photo from Wikipedia.

Pete.

There really can only be a single clue,”Das Unterseeboot”, that should give you all that’s needed🙂

14 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

He's going to need a lot of space, and where do you get anti-submarine netting these days?

image.png.da0316c41cbf0df3f7df3ff15f96a5e7.png

I'm sure I've seen John's German naval officer somewhere but so far the lightbulb moment has eluded me. I've not even had a low energy LED moment for that matter. I've been through the Zimmerman telegram personel but I think we need to petition John for a clue or two.

Pete.

P.S.Tirpitz photo from Wikipedia.

Pete.

Me too and the rest of Room 40. But Lusitania man seems a good go.