Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

6 minutes ago, LarsA said:

No guesses as yet?

I must admit that I haven't the foggiest as yet. 

His wife (by then former) was succesful in her profession, but never won the highest accolade. Her brother did though in the arms profession in WWI. Colonial Highlander.

Bloody hell this has taken me hours, missed my extra lay-in with the clock change, not forgetting Strictly, anyway, the way I fathom it...

Thomas Fasti Dinesen was a Danish VC recipient in the Great War, fighting with the Royal Highlander Regiment also known as the Black Watch of Canada.

He was the brother of Karen Blixen, writer of Out of Africa (pen name Isak Dinesen), ........

that makes the man in the photo Bror Blixen-Finecke.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bror_von_Blixen-Finecke

To be honest I know absolutely nothing about him and Wiki doesn’t seem to do him justice, if I’m correct, Lars over to you to give us the details.

John

Bror Blixen served in the East Africa Intelligence Department in WWI, probably more Scouts than Intelligence work?

His medals were issued, but returned. This would have been about the time he went on Safaris with wealthy guests.

A good article about him here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/baron-bror-von-blixen-finecke-swedish-baron-writer-african-big-game-hunter.3196/

16 minutes ago, LarsA said:

Bror Blixen served in the East Africa Intelligence Department in WWI, probably more Scouts than Intelligence work?

His medals were issued, but returned. This would have been about the time he went on Safaris with wealthy guests.

A good article about him here: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/baron-bror-von-blixen-finecke-swedish-baron-writer-african-big-game-hunter.3196/

Good one Lars; I was vaguely aware of the names but nothing behind that. Every day is a school day on WiT.

Pete.

Sorry I could not participate in your latest guessings… have moved my stuff to the new house this WE…

funny… most complaints from my helpers came about… all those boxes with books!!!

Now only need the electricity back up so that I can either make a warm cup of tea or cool a beer to go with my readings and I'm off…

oh yeah… and the Boyfriend will have to move in eventually too … LOL...

M.

Edited by Marilyne

Sorry I could not participate in your latest guessings… have moved my stuff to the new house this WE…

funny… most complaints from my helpers came about… all those boxes with books!!!

Now only need the electricity back up so that I can either make a warm cup of tea or cool a beer to go with my readings and I'm off…

oh yeah… and the Boyfriend will have to move in eventually too … LOL...

M.

Haven't we had Dinesen on WIT before? I vaguely remember the references to Karen Blixen.

Ron

10 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Haven't we had Dinesen on WIT before? I vaguely remember the references to Karen Blixen.

Ron

Thomas Dinesen was a subject before, but not Bror Blixen.

Lars

Here is someone who served as a reservist in the war but not in an army that many of us are familiar with. He was a prolific author but not in a script that many of us are familiar with.

Robert

Author.jpg

The moustache and the locks suggest Maxim Gorky.  But I don't know that he was a reservist in the Tasrist army after his return from exile (first time) in 1913, nor under the provisional government(s).  Either that or it's Kevin Kline in "Sophie's Choice

Kevin Kline in "Sophie's Choice

Or a Fish called Wanda

Image result for kevin kline fish called wanda

Is this him  when a bit older?Image result for mark twain

russian authors… not my cup of Vodka

M.

sorry… computer was doing some crazy stuff this morning, not wanting to save my replies… probably had it's own idea about them…

Sergei Sergeyev-Tsenksy who I'd never heard of but who wrote a novel about the Brusilov offensive. Which I had heard of but knew very little about. Every day a skool etc etc.

Good one Robert, right out of left field as I believe they used to say in the US of A.

Pete.

Spot on, Pete. I have just finished the novel. Superb! Beautifully written (and translated as 'Brusilov's Break-through'), covering the battle from Brusilov's perspective as well as one of the divisional commanders and a company then battalion commander. Highly recommended. Robert

Edited by Robert Dunlop

Thanks Robert; when I read his story I was impressed that a prominent Soviet writer could survive into his 80's. There seem to have been several occasions when he was given high awards when it seemed just as likely that he would end up in Siberia. Looking at the casualty figures for the offensive was sobering given the contemporary events at Verdun and on the Somme.

Pete.