Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

last one would be general "old Plum" Plumer.

the second could be anyone with a reputation of going ballistic when something went wrong???

Apart from the old fool upstairs from where I'm now (that is not my usual work place), no idea…

M.

11 minutes ago, Marilyne said:

last one would be general "old Plum" Plumer.

Yes indeed. (Image from janefinnis.com.)

As for no. 2: “The force of personality is a high quality in every sort of leadership, but in this novel and dangerous arm of war ... the personality of the commander is the essential ingredient for high achievement. No one who saw [this man] at work in France could doubt that he supplied it in extraordinary measure.”

52 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Second could be “Boom” , name given to Hugh Trenchard

It is indeed ‘Boom’ Trenchard. Image from 123rf.com. Quote from Simon’s ‘Retrospect’ (1952).

I've got a more "classic" one for you… just a plain picture…

so who's this lady.. I have not found her name in WIT…

whoisthis.jpg.1a7e0eeccc0b9496d8feda4e7ba2da65.jpg

M.

26 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is she Peggy Arnold?

nopes…

going off duty now fellas, so you have the night to figure it out...

one hint: Rouen

M.

Jessie Traill , the Australian artist. She served in a VAD detatchment at No. 8 General Hospital in Rouen.   She she left an extensive illustrated account of her war service, which currently rests in the State Library of Victoria. 

Edited by Gunner Hall

yes… well donne Gunner!!

I stumbled upon Miss Traill when researching Rouen and the sick Sister hospital. She spend some time there, both as a patient and as staff, as N° 8 was responsible for staffing Sick Sister's.

I'll have to work harder to find a truly hard nut to crack !!

M.

Dank Je / Merci.  I must admit I would be stumped without Rouen.     It's a certainly easier finding a face than an aerial photograph of a trail,  a la Fattyowls!

R

Try this one.

image.png.97091a903d4dee2f8512160f615d53cb.png

19 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Spot on GH, there is a cluster of peaks named after French generals, including Nivelle interestingly......

I was going to post that i doubted Petain would get anything named after him.  Guess what,  he has!   A mountain, a glacier and a creek.  Makes a chap wonder how despicable someone has to be not to get something named after him/ her.

Wait,   Theres nothing named after me.........  

1 minute ago, Gunner Hall said:

Wait,   Theres nothing named after me.........

It's only a matter of time GH, lasting fame awaits. Good spot on Marilyne's lady; even knowing the major's research interests got me nowhere.

Pete.

Looking for Miss Traill led me to another discovery,  Kate Maxey "The Angel of Spennymoor"  Served with Jessie at the No. 8 General for some time.  In 1918,  Forgive me - I 'm sure some of you already know this, but she found herself in Lilliers, where she was sister-in-charge of the CCS  near the railway station.  On 21st March 1918,  the German forces dropped bombs on the station and managed to hit an ammo train which had stopped there.  The damage to the town was extensive and there were many casualties.  Kate. took fragments to the head, neck arm and thigh. She also damaged her spine and perforated an eardrum.  Despite this she continued to direct the nursing care of the injured and refused treatment until all others had been seen to.  She recieved the Military Medal,  Royal Red Cross Medal and the Florence Nightingale Medal.  Also was mentioned in dispatches by old Dougie himself. To add to this she got a "silver set of salts and spoons" from the Spennymoor Ambulance Brigade.  A brave lady who despite being born and living most of her life less than 10 miles from me,  I'd never heard of her. 

Edited by Gunner Hall
Spelling, as ever

4 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

Looking for Miss Traill led me to another discovery,  Kate Maxey "The Angel of Spennymoor"

Fab find GH. She survived and lived until 1969 I see.

18 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Fab find GH. She survived and lived until 1969 I see.

Indeed.   Her relatives still own the shop that her father ran all those years ago. The chain, "Deftys" used to supply wool to every mother, grandmother and auntie in the North East of England.  I still have nightmares over the jumpers (and balaclavas)  I was forced to wear.   

Edited by Gunner Hall

3 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Indeed.   Her relatives still own the shop that her father ran all those years ago. The chain, "Deftys" used to supply wool to every mother, grandmother and auntie in the North East of England.  I still have nightmares over the jumpers (and balaclavas)  I was forced to wear.   

We've all been scarred by home made knitwear. It was a rite of passage in the sixties and seventies; now only the photos of the knitting patterns appearing on ironic greeting cards remain. I shudder every time I see one.

Pete.

P.S. Is Jon's carved head Kitchener of Khartoum? Or not as the case may be?

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

P.S. Is Jon's carved head Kitchener of Khartoum? Or not as the case may be?

2 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

not

Thought not. Back to Great Moustaches of WW1 for me........

23 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Looking for Miss Traill led me to another discovery,  Kate Maxey "The Angel of Spennymoor"  Served with Jessie at the No. 8 General for some time.  In 1918,  Forgive me - I 'm sure some of you already know this, but she found herself in Lilliers, where she was sister-in-charge of the CCS  near the railway station.  On 21st March 1918,  the German forces dropped bombs on the station and managed to hit an ammo train which had stopped there.  The damage to the town was extensive and there were many casualties.  Kate. took fragments to the head, neck arm and thigh. She also damaged her spine and perforated an eardrum.  Despite this she continued to direct the nursing care of the injured and refused treatment until all others had been seen to.  She recieved the Military Medal,  Royal Red Cross Medal and the Florence Nightingale Medal.  Also was mentioned in dispatches by old Dougie himself. To add to this she got a "silver set of salts and spoons" from the Spennymoor Ambulance Brigade.  A brave lady who despite being born and living most of her life less than 10 miles from me,  I'd never heard of her. 

Kate Maxey was indeed a formidable woman !

When she was hit at N°58 CCS, she was walking with Sister Ellen Andrews and while bleeding profusely from her own wounds, her first instinct was to help Ellen, who unfortunately was beyond any help, but she stayed with her.

Ellen's story can be found on my thread: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/265384-women-buried-on-the-western-front-a-complete-overview/page/2/, post #39

If you want to read more about Kate Maxey, I suggest you take Christine Hallett's "Nurses of Passchendaele" to hand. She also worked with Edith Appleton, whose memoirs were edited by Ruth Cowen a few years ago.

M.

1921322266_KateMaxey.jpg.4d2334e46397413efb4e6654ac03d779.jpg

Nurses of Passchendaele duly ordered!    I remember reading Lyn MacDonalds The Roses of No-mans Land years ago .  Marilyne, can you recommend anything else on the subject? 

Your post Marilyne is as ever, wonderfully researched. Evocative too.  Hats off to  Dr Harvey Cushing.  An ammunition train blows up, and all we hear is that "Things were lively for a time" 

On 03/11/2019 at 11:03, jonbem said:

Try this one.

image.png.97091a903d4dee2f8512160f615d53cb.png

Clue: A Belgian person