Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

image.png.62075d776422ee0180ed1a59714ca45a.png This future general has probably graced these pages before.  He was playing rugby in 1913.  A year later he was a subbie in a county regiment. 

Edited by Gunner Hall
typo

I just put "Romania woman first world war" in google and as it was THE name that popped up, I took a guess…

M.

Sorry Gunner, I’m not ignoring you just did not see your posting, will start my musings

John

Not a problem,  find my self unexpectedly posted to darkest Norfolk,  so expect to be off line!

Here is  the first clue. His early service was spent serving in two different regiments associated with the same number. 

On 04/10/2019 at 10:28, Gunner Hall said:

image.png.62075d776422ee0180ed1a59714ca45a.png This future general has probably graced these pages before.  He was playing rugby in 1913.  A year later he was a subbie in a county regiment. 

The strong and firm jaw suggests Uncle Bill

1) R.Warwicks- 6th

2) 6th Gurkha Rifles

Edited by Guest

The first Viscount Slim it is. Served in the shiny 6th, the Royal Warwickshire and the 1/6th Gurkhas. Not a natural horseman, he lost control of his charger ithree times in India,  resulting in the memorable order *No officer shall gallop in the streets of Simla"  Should have photoshopped the jaw,!

2 minutes ago, Gunner Hall said:

The first Viscount Slim it is. Served in the shiny 6th, the Royal Warwickshire and the 1/6th Gurkhas. Not a natural horseman, he lost control of his charger ithree times in India,  resulting in the memorable order *No officer shall gallop in the streets of Simla"  Should have photoshopped the jaw,!

He didn't change very much across the years.  The best military writer of the Twentieth Century.

A more obscure clue might be that he was responsible for running railways but was never a Royal Engineer. Work that one out!!

image.jpeg.c4b2b043a634f6cfe017ca8cc363d11d.jpegHow about this chap?   Served as 2Lt in 3 different regiments and never reached a higher rank-including Great War. He had a well-known relative who got to a slightly higher rank and at one time was a  well-known Constable.

image.jpeg.c4b2b043a634f6cfe017ca8cc363d11d.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Guest

He didn't change very much across the years.  The best military writer of the Twentieth Century.

A more obscure clue might be that he was responsible for running railways but was never a Royal Engineer. Work that one out!!

Just started reading his biography (by Russell Miller, Uncle Bill, the authorised biography)  which is where the photo and the Simla story came from.  Haven't got to their about him playing  trains.  I bet they ran  on time......

Very similar to a certain Network Rail....other rail maintenance companies are available 👍

Constable as in constabulary,  or constable as in tower?

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Na.....as in John😁

Well, I've gone from relatives of Jack Warner, Viscounts Wavell through to Alanbrooke. :wacko:

Only for one day though! 2nd June 1953. He was also Field Marshal Commanding Coronation Troops.

Ron

19 hours ago, Gunner Hall said:

Constable as in constabulary,  or constable as in tower?

Neither- nor the artist.  His being a Constable was a big deal at the time

Our man -rather than his relative-was an ensign in a Guards regiment.

In later life- in 1939-40-he was closely associated with a well-known  officer called Ramsay

Edited by Guest

well-known  officer called Ramsay

Captain Archibald Henry Maule Ramsay by any chance?

18 hours ago, Knotty said:

Captain Archibald Henry Maule Ramsay by any chance?

Yes-   Well done for getting past the red herring about  Ramsay.  But there is a Dover connection with his kinsman

Our man was an associate of Joyce and Chesterton

Ramsay had his “Red Book” and there seems to be a triangle comprising of Joyce (Lord Haw Haw),   A K Chesterton ( cousin of G K) and a chap called Henry Williamson so that is a completely unknown name I will put forward.

Alas,No- Henry Williamson served with London Rifle Brigade, MGC and Bedfordshire Regiment.  But you are on the RIGHT track. Soon be there.

PS- Not Arnold Leese either-Captain RAVC- with the superbly titled autobiography Out of Step: Events in Two Lives of an Anti-Jewish Camel-Doctor 

By the way-  our man  also has a link with Viscount Mersey, Field Marshal Lord Rawlinson of Trent and Anthony Eden, Earl of Avon  :wub:

That should get you away from daytime TV for a while Knotty!!

Edited by Guest

That should get you away from daytime TV for a while Knotty!!

😁 oh I wish, this weeks been a whirlwind. 
Well thats a picture of the Duke of Wellington in Glasgow, still none the wiser on your WIT character yet.