Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Marilyne..”trop fort”, does that mean very hard/strong?

That's a belgicism… here in this neck of the woods, where the boars roam, it's used as "well done"; litterally translated as "you're too good for this" or "this is too good", "this is amazing"

Staying with Belgians… anybody recognize this guy???

whoisthis.PNG.e6e44b6a55f4aa4ded8a8aae9a277b46.PNG

you have the night to think… won't be back online before tomorrow Morning…

M.

Edited by Marilyne

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

That's a belgicism… here in this neck of the woods, where the boars roam, it's used as "well done"; litterally translated as "you're too good for this" or "this is too good", "this is amazing"

I like the literal translations. I'm also interested in the wild boar angle as the most likely origin of the name Everton is Eofortun - literally wild boar farm or settlement in the Germanic languages brought over by the incomers from what is now Belgium, the Netherlands, north Germany and Denmark in the period after the collapse of the Roman Empire and the end of Gallia Belgica.

Your man looks about 12, the youngest serving Belgian soldier perhaps?

Pete.

Brilliant John - I wonder if he is the future Leopold III, King of the Belgians in 1940. We will just have to wait for MM to break radio silence.......

Pete.

6 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Not me! I misread ‘tick’ completely. Wikipedia: “Werner is remembered for his description of trench fever during an outbreak of the disease in World War I. The disorder is sometimes referred to as "Werner–His disease", named in conjunction with Swiss anatomist Wilhelm His, Jr. ... The disease is caused by the parasite Rickettsia quintana, and transmitted to humans by the body louse Pediculus humanus corporis.”

Every day is a school day on WiT? Merci mon oncle

Pete.

Knotty and Pete are both right !!

King Albert chose the 12th Line Regiment for his son, hence the Bn still called today 12è de Ligne Prince Léopold, They have the L in their insignia, with the words "A L'avant Garde", because the Bn is the oldest in the Belgian Army. And the only Bn that ever captured a German flag.

images.jpg.cc5bbd5f53ccb847417adccae2ab0033.jpg

M;

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm also interested in the wild boar angle

Just because I'mp in the Ardennes… where we use that sort of language. And the Chasseurs Ardennais are 2 blocks away from my unit… passing the mascottes every day on the way to the messhall.

Diane.jpg.b508a678f4e0e6bae1579971d9dd22d1.jpg

This was Diane, who died in june last year.

M.

Hi Marilyne

mascottes, mess hall = sausages🤣.........

On a serious note what an incredible looking animal Diane was, did her unit proud.

And as Pete said you learn something new everyday in my case the 12è de Ligne Prince Léopold, need to do some research.

Edited by Knotty

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

And as Pete said you learn something new everyday in my case the 12è de Ligne Prince Léopold, need to do some research.

You’ve done the research already John. I refer you to post #10127.

Hi UG,

I was referring more to the flag capture, something I knew nothing about. Thanks for pointing out I have been there before, it will save me sometime, but I still have to find my old scribblings and get them indexed and onto my computer.😁

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 11:36, The Scorer said:

Were they taking her for a walk, or was she taking them?

It's hard work to keep the mascottes in check for the parades, but it's Always quite impressive…

23 hours ago, Knotty said:

Hi UG,

I was referring more to the flag capture, something I knew nothing about. Thanks for pointing out I have been there before, it will save me sometime, but I still have to find my old scribblings and get them indexed and onto my computer.😁

I'll ask the Boyfriend tonight what action that was… it's his unit, after all...

M.

20 hours ago, Marilyne said:

It's hard work to keep the mascottes in check for the parades, but it's Always quite impressive…

M.

Yes, I can imagine that it would be so - thanks!

Who are these, and what connects them.

First clue; Ireland.

20190913_201722.png.f2d415bc96a45f2416e8699f7d39cfd4.png20190913_201819.png.13e31acb8b85b1147c1a6ab2217e0b4c.png

Edited by neverforget

Leon Trotsky and Michael Collins ???   :huh:

10 hours ago, bif said:

Leon Trotsky and Michael Collins ???   :huh:

You're way out with Trotsky, bif, but a lot closer with Collins.

The pictures come from a document which represents a certain cause, containing pictures of eleven men in all, and so the second clue will be that one of them is Eamonn de Valera, and another is Arthur Griffith. 

Incidentally, Collins isn't one of them.

11 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is the first chap Sheehy-Skeffington? It looks a little like him.

He isn't, and he isn't one of the eleven.

Both men have the same christian name, and the same surname.

A further clue:

There are two Archbishops on the list, and the issue is a Great War issue rather than a political one.

30 minutes ago, Jervis said:

William O’Brien for both. 

I needed the clues = the Conscription crisis . 

Exactly right, Jervis!

The British Government attempted to impose conscription upon Ireland in 1918-however not a single Irish citizen was conscripted into the British Army.
This is because of the 1918 Irish Conscription Crisis.
Llord George drafted a special “Military Service Bill” and linked it to the Home Rule Bill-this essentially meant that Home Rule and Conscription were now hand in hand.
This was immediately met with ferocious opposition.

Irish Nationalists MPs in Westminster-such as the powerful IPP-walked out in protest and returned to Ireland in order to prepare their opposition to conscription.
In April of 1918, the Irish Anti-Conscription Committee was formed, and had representatives from several nationalist backgrounds; it had Eamon de Valera and Arthur Griffith from Sinn Fein, Thomas Johnson and William O’Brien from the Labour Party and the Trade Unions, John Dillon and Joseph Devlin from the Irish Parliamentary Party and William O’Brien and Timothy Michael Healy for the All-for-Ireland Party.
These politicians were joined in their opposition to Conscription by the Roman Catholic Bishops of Ireland, who also voiced strong disapproval of Conscription.

A pledge was drafted, and taken at churches all over Ireland;
“Denying the right of the British government to enforce compulsory service in this country, we pledge ourselves solemnly to one another to resist conscription by the most effective means at our disposal.”
However the convening of these meetings were just the beginning of the opposition.
On the 23rd of April, just a few days later, a general strike was called by the Labour Movement and Ireland’s industry was brought to a total and complete halt.

Therefore, the conscription crisis is seen as a direct influence to Sinn Fein’s overwhelming success in the 1918 Irish General Election, which changed the course of Irish Politics permanently.

The Conscription Crisis in Ireland is centred around fierce opposition by Irish politicians to the implementation of conscription in Ireland, however its affects were on a much larger scale than one would imagine upon reading the title of the event.

A more detailed account here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscription_Crisis_of_1918

Edited by neverforget

On 11/09/2019 at 14:10, Knotty said:

Hi UG,

The flag in question belonged to the 89th Infantry (Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Grenadier-Regiment 89) and was captured by a battalion (commander Major Collyns) of the Belgian 12th Infantry. It was captured in Herstal during the German "Handstreich" against Liège   

1 hour ago, cdr said:

The flag in question belonged to the 89th Infantry (Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Grenadier-Regiment 89) and was captured by a battalion (commander Major Collyns) of the Belgian 12th Infantry. It was captured in Herstal during the German "Handstreich" against Liège   

Thank you, dear colleague!!! 

Boyfriend is good in boasting about his unit, but more details were not to be obtained. 

However, anyone interested in the 12/13Li will find information on the history here: https://www.amicale12-13li.be/Pages/accueil.php and maybe want to visit their museum... 

M.