Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Got another one for you...

102554458_Martiallekeux.jpg.ec53d7752abacbccb911ef1d7a2840fb.jpg

I'm not giving a hint right away or some people might find it far to quickly...

M.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is he a young General Jacques?

no

OK… one tip: "l'habit ne fait pas le moine" ….

Edited by Marilyne

Edouard aka Martial Lekeux.

Seemed to swing between the priesthood/monastic orders and the Belgian Army.  Plenty of books but  100% unintelligible to me.  A n obscure man even by the standards of obscure and recherche theological writings.

Edited by Guest

Ceci n'est pas une soldat? 

Georges Savignac?

I withdraw my Rene Magritte suggestion.  Guest's knowlwdge of obscure Belgians astounds..  

No, dear boy, complete illiteracy (as a bookseller)  coupled with an French wife from just near the Belgian border.   When I occasionally  saw books with him as an author, I assumed immediately that it was William Lequeux, the popular pot-boiling spy and war scare novelist of Edwardian times. Never knew that spelling an author's name correctly made that much of a difference......:wub:

Obscurity is a Belgian national sport. Apart from the oft-repeated theme music from the 1960s Belgian TV series "Kapitan Zeppos", I am not that well up on Belgian culture,either Walloon or Flemish  but at least the boxes of chips (frites) in Phillipeville and Bouillon (washed down with Whitbread-a legacy of the Great War I believe)  convince me that Belgium does something right.  As it was occupied in the Great War and again from 1940-44,-latterly as a "R and R" spot for the German Army, Belgium has always  had a large number of quite good, reasonably cheap restaurants-which in France would be three times the price and with lashings of  Gallic rudeness thrown in. If you want a good French cusine meal, head for Belgium-always.

yup… fries, chocolates and (trappist) beers, of course!!!

Well done GUEST!!!  L'habit ne fait pas le moine had to be taken quite litterally and so indeed it is Martial Lekeux. His most known work is "Mes cloîtres dans la tempête", based on his war time souvenirs.

Lekeux was an artillery officer first before entering the Franciscan order. But when the war breaks out, he choses to serve as a soldier. Retreating with the Belgian army from Liège he will find himself on the Yzer and most natbly in Oud Stuyvekenserke, near Dixmude, in the middle of the inundated countryside, where he would regularly occupy an artillery observation post that was a principal target of the German artillery. Today the remains of the Church are a memorial to these fights and a chapel commemorates Lekeux's involvement.

He is ordained a priest just after the war. He spent WWII with the government in exile in London and would help rebuild the army after the war… once a soldier, always a soldier !!

M.

After the order of Melchisedech?

Ron

Most of my salary goes to booksellers,  apart from that allocated to wine, women (my lovely partner) and song.  The rest I just waste.   

Was at York Bookfair on Friday,  Got a lovely copy of John Roberts British battlecruisers.  Got it home to discover I already had the first edition  (which has a different title, and dustcover.  )   Publishers just don't play fair. Tantamount to using sandpaper on a ball.   I'll take your tip about Belgium,  I must admit that it's always been somewhere i drive through to get somewhere else,  though historically, i don't think I'm alone in that regard..........  

Glad you enjoyed the fair-  always worthwhile to see good old fashioned northern curmudgeons in action. Booksellers from north of the Trent don't take prisoners. You stand more chance of survival from diving off Beachy Head than asking an older Northern bookseller for a small discount. Causes a few casualties-as they tend to choke when asked.

I had forgotten about the rest of Belgian beer- esp. the abbey that makes brown ale.  Plenty of merry people the last time we went- a distinct lack of monks.

There is a small Great War  theme here-  My father in law reckoned that the Belgian passion for a walk and egg and chips on a Sunday afternoon was born of the Great War- as both potatoes and eggs were off ration control and enabled peasants either to eat a bit more or make a few more francs selling the stuff. The prevalence of Whitbread beers years ago was most striking.

As for Lekeux.......well, the latest trendy version of Poirot that was right-on and politically correct (ie- b***ocks) has the reverse-Poirot as a a priest who gives it up in the face of German atrocities in 1914.

Years of watching my other half in full buying mode and reruns of "Antiques Roadshow" have finally paid off.   I did -for the first time make an offer.  Which was accepted!

There's no stopping me now. " I know it's marked up at £80, but I've only got £2.13 left. "    

I wonder if the writers of the last Poirot screen play were aware of this Belgain sacerdotal / military connection? Overall, I did enjoy it,  (despite the b+++ocks!) - but seriously, the actors moustache did not cut the mustard. Very poor show.

oh please… Agatha Christie never intended Poirot to be a priest… he is religious, yes, "Un bon catholique", as he describes himself, but no more… in the novels, the only thing one reads of his faith are the "Mon Dieu!" he sometimes expresses… not more than the usual OMG uttered by most of us on a daily basis.

I have seen the whole series with David Suchet and honestly, will not see another, later depiction of Poirot. Kenneth Brannagh disappointed me in the latest "murder on the Orient Express", to be honest. and I don't even want to see John Malkovitch in the role.

M.

On 17/09/2019 at 14:49, Marilyne said:

oh please… Agatha Christie never intended Poirot to be a priest… he is religious, yes, "Un bon catholique", as he describes himself, but no more… in the novels, the only thing one reads of his faith are the "Mon Dieu!" he sometimes expresses… not more than the usual OMG uttered by most of us on a daily basis.

I have seen the whole series with David Suchet and honestly, will not see another, later depiction of Poirot. Kenneth Brannagh disappointed me in the latest "murder on the Orient Express", to be honest. and I don't even want to see John Malkovitch in the role.

M.

On 17/09/2019 at 14:49, Marilyne said:

Kenneth Brannagh disappointed me in the latest "murder on the Orient Express"

M.

He looks like he has a dead squirrel under his nose! 

81070918-90C0-4265-B8EC-1ECE0B942DAD.jpeg

Back to question😁, who is this.

I could not find him on this WIT, but did not look on the earlier version. His medals are held in a National War museum.

0D741C17-D5EA-4522-A1D8-53038DE9F528.jpeg

with the rank insignia on the collar like that … is this an American???

M.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 12:32, Ghazala said:

He looks like he has a dead squirrel under his nose! 

The one on the top of his head doesn't look that healthy either

21 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi Marilyne 

Very close, but a no in this instance😁

Mexican?