Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Is the top photo that of Sir Arthur Newsholme? A senior health advisor (President of the GMC) to the British government, who recommended that no action be taken against the pandemic as the munitions factories and public services needed to remain open to help with the war effort.

20 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is the top photo that of Sir Arthur Newsholme? A senior health advisor (President of the GMC) to the British government, who recommended that no action be taken against the pandemic as the munitions factories and public services needed to remain open to help with the war effort.

Exactly so John. The programme I watched recently was called "The flu that killed 50 million", and predominantly for the reasons you have highlighted, Newsholme had considered issuing a memorandum on flu only to shelve it on the grounds of expediency, reasoning that there were ‘national circumstances in which the major duty is to “carry on”, which undoubtedly contributed to thousands of flu deaths. 

The government were also compliant in censoring the extent of the pandemic, so as to avoid "national hysteria".

Thank goodness for the likes of James Niven, who saved countless lives due to his endeavours, albeit mainly in Lancs.

Whereabouts did you find that photo Steve?

I have a recording of a BBC programme shown a few years back called Spanish flu: The Forgotten Fallen, that’s where I got his name from, and Mr B helped with his I.D. of Niven and the 1918 epidemic. 

1-1 draw for these two.

5 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Whereabouts did you find that photo Steve?

I have a recording of a BBC programme shown a few years back called Spanish flu: The Forgotten Fallen, that’s where I got his name from, and Mr B helped with his I.D. of Niven and the 1918 epidemic. 

1-1 draw for these two.

Apologies! I forgot to post the sources for the pictures. Thanks for reminding me John. 

Niven's was from his wiki page, and Newsholme's was from here:

https://nara.getarchive.net/media/american-red-cross-n-thru-w-sir-arthur-newsholme-of-british-delegation-chairman-eadec3

Just out of interest,

A few years ago I seem to remember that scientists were going to exhume  an officers body, who had died of Spanish flu and was buried in a sealed lead coffin. 

The reason was to try to isolate the original strain of the flu.  I never heard anything more about the project,  did anything come of it ?

John

25 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Just out of interest,

A few years ago I seem to remember that scientists were going to exhume  an officers body, who had died of Spanish flu and was buried in a sealed lead coffin. 

The reason was to try to isolate the original strain of the flu.  I never heard anything more about the project,  did anything come of it ?

John

I've not heard anything, but someone else might be able to enlighten us.

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Just out of interest,

John

Well done John.

He would have made a good W.I.T.

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

Just out of interest,

John

Apparently, Sir Mark Sykes lead-lined coffin had split sometime after burial and the scientists had to make do with inferior specimens:

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/the-spanish-flu-pandemic-and-its-impact-on-the-middle-east-1.703289

JP

Back to the job in hand WIT

This Scottish officer does not appear to have been on this thread, he became a mountain of a man in his adopted country, and has a record to his name.

CD09FC9A-AB19-43BC-9C95-2B5F38738A8B.jpeg

Thank you  helpjpl ,Knotty and neverforget , been meaning to find out for ages, the thread brought it to mind. Shame the lead split on the coffin it could have answered a few questions. 

John

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

From your clues, I deduce that he is Captain L.P.McKilamanjaro. Where do I collect my prize?  :wub:

The friend of Colonel Everest Fujiyama from the F E E F............No😂

Working hard on a hunch here, which usually leads me on a wild goose-chase. Time will tell. 

16 hours ago, Knotty said:

The friend of Colonel Everest Fujiyama from the F E E F............No😂

That's the beggar, Fawlty!!

Another Clue for post #11934

He got one of those VC thing's

19 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Unfortunately not this time UG, but a good one all the same.

Is it William Hew Clark-Kennedy? Scottish born Canadian V.C.winner. Served in the Imperial Yeomanry C.E.F. Buried in MOUNT Royal cemetery. 

Ah! Lt. Harcus Strachan's citation fits the bill.

At a loss to see the "mountain" connection though?

Edited by neverforget

Whenever I'm bored I travel abroad but ever so properly,
Port out, starboard home, posh with a capital P!

Who’s this then ? ? ?

1C9475B6-AF93-4D0A-AC23-596DE49EF8E3.jpeg

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Ah! Lt. Harcus Strachan's citation fits the bill.

At a loss to see the "mountain" connection though?

Correct NF, it is Strachan, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harcus_Strachan,

the link explains his VC action, and reference to his record of him being the oldest holder of a VC before his death.  There is reference to the Lake named after him as well, but not the mountain, that can be found here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Strachan, and was named on his being awarded the VC.

Thanks for clearing that up for me John. I saw the ref to the lake, but was puzzled over the mountain bit.

On to Uncle George's fellow then...