Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

8 hours ago, Uncle George said:
Whenever I'm bored I travel abroad but ever so properly,
Port out, starboard home, posh with a capital P!

Nice one Uncle George.

So far all I have worked out is that this is a line from the play Chitty Chitty Bang Bang that was sung by Grandpa Potts......I will have another go after a nights sleep.

8 hours ago, Uncle George said:
Whenever I'm bored I travel abroad but ever so properly,
Port out, starboard home, posh with a capital P!

Who’s this then ? ? ?

1C9475B6-AF93-4D0A-AC23-596DE49EF8E3.jpeg

That looks like EM Forster, but what the GW connection can be I have no idea.

hi all,

back from the Nijmegen marches and have got some time now for research … looks like Mr Forster - if it is him - was a conscientious objector who worked for the Brititsh Red Cross during the war, looking for soldiers gone missing.

M.

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

That looks like EM Forster, but what the GW connection can be I have no idea.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

was a conscientious objector who worked for the Brititsh Red Cross during the war, looking for soldiers gone missing.

Yes indeed. Forster’s war service is sketched here:

https://fantastic-writers-and-the-great-war.com/war-experiences/e-m-forster/

and here (also the source of the photograph):

https://www.exploringsurreyspast.org.uk/themes/subjects/diversity/lgbt-history/fwwhomosexuality/forster-fww/

‘Posh’ is a clumsy clue to  Forster’s novel ‘A Passage to India’. Wikipedia tells us the word is sometimes (but incorrectly) thought to be “an acronym from ‘port out, starboard home’, referring to nineteenth century first-class cabins on ocean liners, which were shaded from the sun on outbound voyages east (e.g. from Britain to India) and homeward heading voyages west.”

How about this chap?

He served in both world wars, reaching the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was noted as a prodigious diarist (over 91 years) and became a schoolteacher. He was the headmaster of the first co-educational grammar school in England. He died in Zimbabwe aged 104 and his ashes are buried in East London.

oldhead.jpg

Edited by Ron Clifton

33 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

How about this chap?

He served in both world wars, reaching the rank of lieutenant-colonel. He was noted as a prodigious diarist (over 91 years) and became a schoolteacher. He was the headmaster of the first co-educational grammar school in England. He died in Zimbabwe aged 104 and his ashes are buried in East London.

oldhead.jpg

He is Ernest Loftus. I see he’s in the ‘Guinness Book of Records’ as the most durable (is this the right word?) diarist ever.

Well done Uncle George. Loftus it is.

Straying off-topic a bit, he was succeeded as headmaster by a former RAF officer. Can you identify him too?

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Well done Uncle George. Loftus it is.

Straying off-topic a bit, he was succeeded as headmaster by a former RAF officer. Can you identify him too?

Ron

I see he was Frank Young DFC, but I haven’t found much about him.

He was the headmaster throughout my sister's and my attendance at the school. Shortly after I left, the school was made comprehensive, and Mr Young moved to become head of another grammar school nearby, where one of his teachers was our Pal.

During WW2 Sqn Ldr Young flew Pathfinders under Air Vice-Marshal Bennett. But we are straying from the Great War.

Ron

Well, let's stray for  a mo-  Frank was my boss at Ilford County High School for Boys- he was dour-the son of a Yorkshire Methodist preacher and a Maths teacher was unilkely to be singing "Roll Out the Barrel".  In retrospect, he was the fairest Head I served-he would eat you alive within his domain but leave you alone for everything else. As a Magistrate, he was-surprisingly-considered a soft touch.

He was an AC until 1941, when commissioned and got his DFC after the war, July 1945, in one of the "Anyone we forgot" exercises. There is a Pathfinder site with a bit of information- 2 forced landings in Mosquitos after raids (one on a German oil refinery) late in the war.  I look back  on him with respect and a certain liking-the more so after the generations of  untrustworthy apparatchiks that  have posed as "heads" since then.

Rant over-Back to 14-18. 

• 1 month later...

Who is this???

Serbs, Romanians, Italians, French, Russians, and Belgians all have a reason to be grateful to him.

20190906_213331.png.a531d5cb7d9e8183dd0350ffffcc8125.png

Churchill too!

Engineer and inventor.

Hi NF

I thought I read somewhere that you were not going to be on WIT😀

Edited by Knotty

Would it be a very young Hiram Stevens Maxim?

(Yes I’m still around)

Edited by Knotty

12 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Hi NF

I thought I read somewhere that you were not going to be on WIT😀

7 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Would it be a very young Hiram Stevens Maxim?

(Yes I’m still around)

After Monday's little adventure I was very nearly not going to be on anything, but like you, I too am still around, John, plus a couple of spare parts 😉

Not Maxim. My man is French.

53 minutes ago, neverforget said:

After Monday's little adventure I was very nearly not going to be on anything, but like you, I too am still around, John, plus a couple of spare parts 😉

Not Maxim. My man is French.

Is he August-Louis Adrian?

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he August-Louis Adrian?

Hats off to you sir, he is indeed. 

Responsible for the eponymous helmet. 

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Adrian

Picture from here:

https://www.polytechnique.edu/bibliotheque/fr/adrian-louis-x1878

Well played UG.

Surprised that whilst going through French inventions that the famous Etch-a-Sketch was not a USA patent, along with the stethoscope being French. You learn something new everyday.

John

3 hours ago, michaeldr said:

I've enjoyed this

Great subject n great clue!

Well done Uncle George

Cheers. There's just no fooling mon oncle though.

This chap had an astonishing career. Clue: ‘Casablanca’ has often appeared on this thread; and indeed, We’ll always have Paris.

(I found this photograph on this Forum, posted by Forum Pals Kimberley John Lindsay and alantwo. I’ll link their thread and quote the original source in due course.)

85EA2570-4CFF-455C-B4BD-50F513374A94.jpeg

Conrad Veidt as the only main actor in Casablanca that served in the German Army that I can think of. I'm not confident as I fear I am taking the clue too literally, but mainly because it doesn't look anything like him. I often find that this is a drawback.

Pete

19 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Conrad Veidt as the only main actor in Casablanca that served in the German Army that I can think of. I'm not confident as I fear I am taking the clue too literally, but mainly because it doesn't look anything like him. I often find that this is a drawback.

Pete

Not him Pete, no. The clue is ‘Paris’. A clumsy clue, I give you that; but a clue nevertheless. 

Clumsy or otherwise a clue is a clue mon oncle; only the conclusion of the WiT? will reveal that. How about Dietrich von Choltitz? After all that we all have Paris is in large part down to him. I'm still not convinced that the slightly paunchy man in the WW2 photos looks anything like him and the regiment doesn't match, but I love Paris and I am eternally grateful that the answer to the question "Is Paris Burning?" was no.

Pete

Well I'm pretty sure it isn't Howard Koch, but apart from that I'm totally "lost in France"