Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Annette,

Whilst researching another soldier I found the below which may be of interest to you (or not).

On the back of a piece of relevant paperwork was a list of critical injuries to other soldiers (obviously re-using paper). This relates to

Pte. 8272 John Barber, 1KSLI who 'died' on 6/10/14. SDGW records 'DIED' which suggests, well you know what it suggests.

The paper records that he was 'wounded right thigh, condition very serious'.

May or may not mean anything to you,

Graeme

Hello Graeme/All.

I have just picked this up.

Private Barber is one of the men I have been trying to research who's name appears on The War Memorial in the churchyard at Hodnet, North Shropshire.

Can you tell me what you think 'DIED' suggests?

Best Regards.

Wes.

Hi Annette,

Whilst researching another soldier I found the below which may be of interest to you (or not).

On the back of a piece of relevant paperwork was a list of critical injuries to other soldiers (obviously re-using paper). This relates to

Pte. 8272 John Barber, 1KSLI who 'died' on 6/10/14. SDGW records 'DIED' which suggests, well you know what it suggests.

The paper records that he was 'wounded right thigh, condition very serious'.

May or may not mean anything to you,

Graeme

Hello Graeme/All.<BR>I have just picked this up.<BR>Private Barber is one of the men I have been trying to research who's name appears on The War Memorial in the churchyard at Hodnet, North Shropshire.<BR>Can you tell me what you think 'DIED' suggests?<BR>Best Regards.<BR>Wes. <BR>

Accident, sickness or natural causes, as opposed to Died of Wounds, or KIA

Hi Wes

I think I have answered this somewhere but I have him down as dying in General Hospital, Rouen from Tetanus. A kind member sent me doc (part) which records him wounded right thigh condition very serious, so I am guessing he got Tetanus in the wound. He is likely to have been wounded between 24th & 27th Sept. 1914.

Annette

• 3 months later...

Annette,

My first post on here - I wonder if you could check something for me in your lists - My grandfather served in the 7th Dragoon Guards for most of the war (his Military Medal is inscribed as such), BUT his Victory & War Medals are engraved as follows: 25807 SJT. H. WAKE. K.S.L.I. - this is the only reference I have seen to him being in the KSLI & I wonder if he is anywhere in your lists. He was in the 7DG before the war (India) & was released from being in the NWMP in Canada to return to UK & rejoin his regiment - I know he was with them until at least 1917, as that was when he won his MM, but as I say his other medals show the KSLI. His full descriptions were - 6687 SJT H Wake 7th Dragoon Guards, 5410 Constable Wake Royal North West Mounted Police, 25807 SJT. H. Wake. K.S.L.I. (his full name was Herbert Arthur Wake - sometimes known as "Bert"). It seems his military records are among those "burnt documents" that were lost in the 1940 bombings of London. Any info you could let me have would be very much appreciated.

Gordon

Hi Gordon

I did not have your grandfather in my database but have now entered his details. I have not got around to looking at the medal roll that contains his number yet. There are at least two other men near his number who transfarred from the Dragoon Guards they are 25805 James, Lyons (formerly 6942 DG) and 2806 Ernest F., Mewett (formerly 10508 DG). I only have a few mens service papers near your grandfathers number, which point to him moving to K.S.L.I. some time between Feb & May 1917 but I would liked to have more mens papers to be more sure of this. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Annette

Annette,

Many thanks for looking. He was gazetted for his MM on 29 Aug 1917 & as there was usually only a few months between the action & being gazetted, the Feb-May 1917 would be right on the edge of that, so just about possible I think. Of course it may be that he was transferred as a result of that action, but I have no information on that. If in the future you do come across his name, I would be considerably indebted to you if you could let me know - ether on here or by direct email to: gordonwake@blueyonder.co.uk

Again, many thanks, at least he will now be in the list for future reference.

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...

hi annette

i am looking into my grandfathers service he enlisted on the 27/1/1900 on his enlistment papers is the number 4236 thomas wallett 3btn KSLI i know that this was my grandfather although i never met him i have proof from censuses and his gardians name on the papers is correct.

but 49 days later his number seems to have changed to 6276 2nd btn KSLI so is thomas wallett 4236 the same person as 6276 thomas who went to africe and was involved in the 2nd boer war he also went to france 12/12/1914 as his medal index card shows and then went into R E 86410 his card shows he got 15 star bwm and vm for 1ww for the boer war he recieved QSA WITH 1901/1902/ BELMONT/CAPE COLONY/ORANGE FREE STATE/AND TRANSVAL clasps, and the became non effective as a reservist i assume he was recalled to colours at the 1 ww start he also has the swb for which i have a copy of his records from chatham discharged 1917

there seems to me a few discrepancies

i would be pleased with any help or pointers

yours thommy

Hi thommy,

Yes they are the same man! 4236 was his number in the Shropshire Militia before moving, as 6276, to the 2nd(Regular Batt.)of the Regiment.

His Militia Attestation Papers can be seen on FIND MY PAST.

Regards,

corona

hi corona

i cant thank you enough that means all the records i have tell me alot his Militia Attestation papers i have along with his boer war medal recordsshowing his medals and clasps earned

i also have his medal index card,and swb showing he ended up a sapper in 3rd prov cohe was discharged on under K R a.o. 11of 10th aug 17 (this is the bit i dont understand)

para 2 (d) (1) cause of discharge (wounds or sickness) would i be able to find out why he was discharged i supose he could have been gassedas my mother said ?

but a big thank you again

thommy

ps love the site

Hi Thommy

I can not add alot to what corona as put but can tell you he was one of at least 13 K.S.L.I. men who trans to the R.E. and given R.E. numbers between 86398 & 86410. All 13 seem to be from the 2nd Battalion going by their landing dates. I know at least two went to the 171st Tunnelling Company, so guessing all 13 went to this company. One of the men died of wounds on 19th July 1915, so we can say they transfered before this date.

Thommy is there any chance you can email copies of his papers (no worries if you do not want to), I spent four or so years downloading K.S.L.I. service/pension papers but did not get Thomas' papers, I did not renew my Ancestry account this year so can nolonger get his papers.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Sorry if this is the wrong way to do this but I am seeking information on my grandfather and found an old post from 2008 but cannot get a response. Do you have any info on 6327 Wilbraham Kirkham MM. KSLI which was a string started by high wood, May 25 2008 12:41 PM

I know he survived the war but he died before I was born. High wood also appeared to have either info on his activities during WW2 or details of my father who had the same name.

Any response would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Hi Searcher1953

I can not add anything to what Highwood posted back in 2008, other than I think 6327 Wilbraham Kirkham came from Whitchurch, Shropshire but I am not sure where I got this bit of info. from (back when I first started my database I did not alway make a note of where information came from).

Should no one respond to your post in the 2008 thread then when you have made a few more posts you will be able to PM Highwood, and ask him if he as any other information on 6327 Wilbraham Kirkham.

Annette

Guest ReddishShift

Hi Annette,

I am looking for any information you might have on my aunt's great uncle who served in the KSLI in WW1. He's Private Harrold Jones, 1st Bn. service number 27063. I believe he was a gassed and he died on 23/04/1918, I think back in his home town of Sale, Cheshire.

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Searcher1953

I can not add anything to what Highwood posted back in 2008, other than I think 6327 Wilbraham Kirkham came from Whitchurch, Shropshire but I am not sure where I got this bit of info. from (back when I first started my database I did not alway make a note of where information came from).

Should no one respond to your post in the 2008 thread then when you have made a few more posts you will be able to PM Highwood, and ask him if he as any other information on 6327 Wilbraham Kirkham.

Annette

Hi Annette. Thanks. He was indeed born in Whitchurch and was posted with the KSLIYOU to Pembroke where he met my grandmother. I also know he was gassed and returned to England to recover. I'm not sure if he was sent out again before being demobbed but he survived and eventually died around 1950. If anybody can tell me more it would be great. I also note that he won the MM. How do I find out the circumstances and when that happened?

Thanks again.

Terry

Hi Annette,

Another one for your database. Pte Herbert Guy KSLI (my uncle )regimental number 44263 Victory and British medals J/1/102 B14 page 4322 taken from medal card not sure what this code means dont know anything else about him other than he was born 1891 in Shifnal Shropshire. I would appreciate any information.

Best Wishes

Keith

Hi TERRY,

WILBRAHAM KIRKHAM'S listing on the 1911 CENSUS has him doing General Farm Work at PARK FARM,TARP0RLEY ROAD, WHITCHURCH.

His date of birth is given as 1896 in Egerton,Cheshire.

corona.

Hi Steve,

27063 Pte H Jones 1/KSLI, son of Willliam and Susannah Jones of 39,Roebuck Lane, Sale, died at home 23/04/1918

He had served as Pte. 29704 Jones in the SOUTH LANCS REGT. before transfer to the SHROPSHIRES.

Service Papers for him do not appear to have survived

corona.

Hi Steve

Harold was amoung a group from the 3/South Lancs who landed in France between about the 16th and 21st April 1917, they were transferred to the K.S.L.I. on the 5th May 1917 and joined the 1st Battalion on the 7th May, on which date they proceed to the 6th Division training company (not sure how long before rejoining K.S.L.I. but guessing it was no more then a couple of weeks.). I am not sure were he was wounded/gassed but I am at present going through my local paper of the time for names of wounded, so if I find his name it will give me a bit of a idea when he was wounded/gassed.

Annette

Hi Keith

I have your unlce name in my database but no details on him (not looked at all the Victory and British medal rolls yet). All I can say was that he was mobilised some time late May or early June 1918.

Will add to his record that he was from Shifnal, thanks for suppying this info.

Annette

Guest ReddishShift

Corona and Annette,

Thanks for the information you supplied about Harold Jones. Our family recollections are that he died because he was gassed.

Steve

hi annette

i would be glad to send you the files i have about thomas walletts time in KSLI 3bt and 2nd

i dont have any pension details mind but i have just got the only picture of him at a wedding in 1927

my e/m is gthomas1@talktalk.net i did try sending in this post box but it said file to big i have micrsoft outlook so sending from there no problem

yours thommy

Hi Thommy

Cheers, I will email you next week as it's late now (midnight) and I am of to Germany for a few days so will be intouch when I get back thanks.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Corona and Annette

Thank you so much for giving me information on my Grandfather W Kirkham. I now have a starting point. How do I find out about the circumstances surrounding the award of his MM?

Kind regards

Terry (Searcher1953)

Hi Terry (Searcher1953)

It's hard to find the circumstances surrounding the award of M.M., his local paper may have printed details if your lucky.

Annette

• 3 weeks later...

I have a photograph of Claude Brooks if you are still interested.... He was my great uncle and his medal is in the Shropshire Light Infantry Museum in Shrewsbury.