Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

hi annette

doing a bit of my ancestry

found a frank inions ksli 12939

record shows he was pow with the 1st battalion

also about 9 pages in there is a roll of men

army number from 11340 pte hole to 11517 l/c fawdry dont know if that is any help to you

just saw it thought i would bring it to your attention

also

think that he is related somehow to

pte later lt

Reginald William Dicken Inions shropshire yeo

but have found in the london gazette that he was in the ksli as sjt before comm

from lg 1 oct 1917

K.S.L.I., to be 2nd Lt. 16th Aug. 1917.

Reginald William Dicken Inions (from

Sjt., K.S.L.I.) to be 2nd Lt. 16th Aug

hope this of interest to you

james

i am the

great grandson to pte 7777 george hall KSLI

my great uncle thomas hall daughter agnes hall

married Francis Edward Leslie Inions brother of reginald w d inions

i know its a bit of a tenuous link

Hi James

I have Frank's paper, I do not think the list of names is K.S.L.I. but I will get back to you later or tomorrow, I have to go out to play hockey how :)

Annette

Hi James

I have looked through my K.S.L.I. database and did not find anything to help to say Frank was related to Reginald, sorry. Also I could not find Reginald in the K.S.L.I. database but I also have one for the Shropshire Yoe, and he is in there but I have very little on him-his Shrops Yoe number was 1620 and he became 2nd Lt with Royal West Kent Regiment + Lt with Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He also had the Shrops Yoe number 386195, which I do not think is a war time number ? so guessing he joined up again after the war.

I have nothing on Reginald being in K.S.L.I., so your info. above is most useful. This is guess work on my part so take it with a pinch of salt, but I think his K.S.L.I. number is 230111 and he is likely to have served with the 10/K.S.L.I., This number is missing from my database and it fits with the Shrops Yoe numbers as follows

1617 Cpl. Matthews, as the K.S.L.I. No. 230110 and 1621 Cpl. Littlehales, who as the K.S.L.I. No. 230112, so 230111 as to be one of the following Yoe number- 1618, 1619 or 1620, and seeing that the London Gazette confirms he was in K.S.L.I. there is a high chance that is K.S.L.I. No. is 230111. but that same time some Shrops Yoe did transfer to Regular K.S.L.I. Battalions, and have five digit numbers, so can not rule that out.

Do you know George Hall's papers are online as well ?

Annette

Just noticed 1618 (Pte Munslow) can be nocked off because he was one of those with five digit K.S.L.I. number

thanks annette

i do have the the record of george thankyou

i dont know if this would interest you but my great grandfather on my grand mothers side

was harold david little m.b.e d.c.m chief clark to the t.t.a shrewsbury from 1927-1945

thanks james

i dont know if this would interest you but my great grandfather on my grand mothers side

was harold david little m.b.e d.c.m chief clark to the t.t.a shrewsbury from 1927-1945

thanks james

Thanks James but out side the time zone I am interested but still interesting to know.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just a short post to ask if anyone out there as any information K.S.L.I. Officers. Over the years I have mostly worked on the ranks and not taken much notice of the officers because when I first started my research I had the view that there was loads writen about them and little on the rank and file, but now I am working on my book about the 1st Battalion, I would like to know more about the officers. I have stuff from the war diary like Captain so and so lead a patrol into no mans land but I have very little on where many of them came from.

Any information greatfully received.

Annette

P.S. I have C.W.G.C. information on all these who lost theirs lives.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear SR

Have you managed to find any information regarding Private, Michael Mulhare, 14611, 7TH KSLI killed-in-Action BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, I myself are researching soldiers of the Shropshire L.I., and would like to find a newspaper obituary for Michael, do you know the address of the local library or archive to Ballylough near Rosscommon, any help or leads would very much appriciated

cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Is your message for me or Neil ? anyway I still have not been to my library yet to look and see what if any obituaries the Ludlow Advertiser holds, I have started to edit the work I have done on the 1st Battalion, and it's taking all my time at moment but when I do visit it I will let you know what if anything I find.

Annette

Hi Annette

no not me this time contacting you, but please dont forget the obits if they can be found

cheers PHIL

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Annette

Some years ago Longboat asked for information about 2/Lt Alfred George Beer, MC. He thought he was commissioned into the 1/KSLI in December 1917. You may have given Longboat information off-line. Do you have any information to share, please?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Annette

Some years ago Longboat asked for information about 2/Lt Alfred George Beer, MC. He thought he was commissioned into the 1/KSLI in December 1917. You may have given Longboat information off-line. Do you have any information to share, please?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike

I have the following (some of the info. I have only just gained thanks to drix1969).

Formerly Cpl. 11th Royal West Kent Regiment

Joined 1st Batt. 27-07-18

Wounded 19-09-18

Gaz. 03-10-19 M.C. Citation-On 19th September, 1918, after his company commander had become a casualty, he led his company in the attack on Fresnoy-le-Petit. Although the company on his right was held up he fought his way into the village and maintained his position there against enemy counter-attacks until severely wounded. It was chiefly due to his courage initiative and fine example that his company was able to reach and maintain its objective.

Resided 71 Spencer Bridge Road, St James's, Northampton.

Annette

Hi Annette

Many thanks. I read his MIC address as Porthampton, which I took to be somewhere between Portsmouth and Southampton!

Mike

sorry typo on side sorry about that

james

Do you mean it is Porthampton, James? I've never heard of the place.

Mike

sorry miss read you message I do believe its Northampton not pothampton

sorry about the confusion caused as I have googled the Northampton address and it comes up

Hi James

Thanks for confirming Northampton.

Annette

I am researching Percy Tomlins who whilst serving in 7 KSLI died on 27 September 1917.

What I do not know and would like to know is what battle he was involved in when he died. So any information on this or perhaps on the man himself would be much appreciated

David

Hi David

Percy enlisted in Shrewsbury (I am guessing you have CWGC info. on him and so know where he came from etc.) and was with the 6th Battalion to start with, landing in France with them in July 1915. He was wounded in 1916 (I have not yet worked on the list of casualties he appears in, so can not be too sure yet about date of being wounded or whether he was with the 6th or 7th at the time but going by date of paper would make it mid September 1916).

Again I can not be too sure of when he was wounded again, but seeing that he died of wounds on the 27th September 1917, it is likely he was wounded while the 7th Battalion were in Zonnebeke area, they made a very successful attack there on the 26th capturing all but a very small section of their objective. Because I can not be sure of the date he was wounded, I recommend doing more digging to be sure, his death may have been reported in the Shrewsbury & Wellington Journal.

Annette

P.S. (seven men from the 7th Battalion died of wounds on the 27th and buried in Mendingham and Dozingham cemeteries.

David

I have looked through my records of newspaper obits-reports of Percy Tomlins death, but nothing mentioned, however he will be in the daily casualty returns which were printed some days weeks later, only got the usual which you know doupt already have, I do have a grave photo and shots of the Ford war memorial if of any use to you.

Private, Percy Tomlins, 12440, 7th KING’S SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY Died-of-Wounds Belgium 27/09/1917, Age 24, born Fords-Heath, enlisted Shrewsbury; Son of John and Sarah Ann Tomlins, of Heath View, Fords Heath.

Buried MENDINGHEM MILITARY CEMETERY, Belgium, Grave Ref VII. A. 31.

PHIL

Phil

Thank you for the information. Yes if you can post the photos I would be grateful. As new to this site do not know what or how this is done. No doubt you can enlighten me

David

Annette

Thank you for this. Most helpful.

Not sure if the newspaper you mention has archives on line. Possibly they are at Shrewsbury Records Office.

If you are able to find anything else I would be most grateful

Regards

David

Hi David

I got information from the Ludlow Advertiser which is not on line as far as I know, it is on microfile at Ludlow (I have to copy it by hand :( I will see if I have looked at the issue(s) of the Ludlow Advertiser that should hold the casualties from the time around the 26th September, I know I did not finish looking at all of 1917, other things have lead me away from working on the casualty lists. It could be awhile before I get around to it (please feel free to remind me if I have not replied to you say in a couple of weeks, I get side tracked very easy and do not allows get around to doing what I intended to do).

Annette

Hi David

I had a look at the 28th October 1916 issue of the Ludlow Advertise that records him being wounded. It's a big list, there are over 400 names in it. All those killed in Action were from the 5th and 6th Battalions and the date range for those killed was from 15th to 20th September 1916. There are several subsections of the wounded list. I do not really have enough info. yet to be totally clear about each subsector, there are a lot of 5th, 6th and 1st Battalion men, and 99% of those with service papers were wounded between the 15th & 18th September 1916 but there is one dating from 29th August 1916 (I think this man may have been missed off earlier lists and added to later list ?). One thing I am sure of is the main date range of the casualties is from the 15th to 23rd September 1916.

Next bit is a guess so please make a note of that fact :), I am guessing Percy Tomlins was wounded between the 16th and 18th September 1916, with the 6th Battalion. The Battalion were holding trenches before Lesboeufs, they were heavily attacked on the 17th September, a few Germans bombers drove in a bombing post but the L/Cpl in charge of the post collected his men together and drove the Germans out. The Germans tried again on the 18th but again drive off. The Battalion was relieved that night.

I can not yet find the list I copied from 3rd November 1917 issue of the Ludlow Advtiser that contains his name, it is some where in a pile of paperwork. I may have to look at several earlier issues because I do not think the 3rd November issue has the main list of casualties from the 26th September 1917, I need to study all the issue that may contain casualties from this time. Will get back you once I have done this.

Annette